Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac "Big Iron" rumors  (Read 43333 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Mac "Big Iron" rumors
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 03:45:18 am »

Scrivener for Windows is a fine product.

Thanks, I wasn't aware they had a Win version.

Cheers,
Bernard

aragdog

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 02:02:32 pm »

Check the site MacRumors.com and all is there.  All desktops and laptops will be upgraded.  And the Mac Pro as predicted a couple of weeks ago.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »

I guess that things are clear now...

No upgrade at all would have left some hope that the next gen Mac Pro had a chance to come a bit later... but a minor upgrade now must mean that this is just a final stretch of a dead product line.

I do hope I am wrong, but frankly, the only thing coming to my mind now about Apple is "stupid company, I am done with you".

Cheers,
Bernard

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 05:47:53 pm »

I do hope I am wrong, but frankly, the only thing coming to my mind now about Apple is "stupid company, I am done with you".

Cheers,
Bernard

Do you mean to say a nice new shiny 15-inch laptop with a Retina display won't meet your requirements?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »

Do you mean to say a nice new shiny 15-inch laptop with a Retina display won't meet your requirements?

It won't help much with my SCSI320 raid5 unit and I hate glossy screens (having been using a macbook pro with one). Besides my 5 years old mac pro has 32gb RAM, a fast raid scratch disk,... The intend was to fit the new Pro with no less than 64gb.

So no... the new macbook pro seems like a very nice laptop that I would probably have bought at some point of time to replace my macbook pro, but is not at all an attractive proposition as far as being a Pro successor.

Cheers,
Bernard

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 06:19:36 pm »

It won't help much with my SCSI320 raid5 unit and I hate glossy screens (having been using a macbook pro with one). Besides my 5 years old mac pro has 32gb RAM, a fast raid scratch disk,... The intend was to fit the new Pro with no less than 64gb.

So no... the new macbook pro seems like a very nice laptop that I would probably have bought at some point of time to replace my macbook pro, but is not at all an attractive proposition as far as being a Pro successor.

Cheers,
Bernard

I don't think this is the next generation.  Its not Ivy Bridge ( i don't think).  Its just a stop gap IMO. 

My advice...one word.  Hackintosh :)
Craig Lamson Photo

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »

Ai, this 'new' macPro is hardly an upgrade. Now the laptop has USB3 and the MacPro has not.. ridiculous!
They only put some new processors in as you could do yourself.
It is very blunt how they neglected the professional user the last years.
Like with Final Cut Pro.. first they build something up with a lot of energy and then they break it down without any reason.
With little effort they could make everybody happy.. I don't understand their logic...
Too bad
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:10 pm »

I just had a look on some hackintosh pages and it reminded me of one of the reasons i always liked the Mac... It just works !

I do not want to build my car- I do not want to become an expert in building computers and to know all the quirks-  I am a user ...that needs a fast computer
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »

No way I going there... I am looking for a trouble free and reliable platform to work...  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Mr. Rib

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 07:01:42 pm »

I'm on the same boat as Bernard. And after today's keynote, I am starting the search for a different platform. As much as I like OS and as much as I dislike Windows (mainly aesthetic reasons though), I'm switching. I won't be waiting like an idiot another year or several months to read a *gossip* that there might be an update of Mac pro line somewhere in 2017... I simply don't care anymore. I feel abandoned by them and they totally let me down.

AlastairMoore

• http://serialphotography.com
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

I'm on the same boat as Bernard. And after today's keynote, I am starting the search for a different platform. As much as I like OS and as much as I dislike Windows (mainly aesthetic reasons though), I'm switching. I won't be waiting like an idiot another year or several months to read a *gossip* that there might be an update of Mac pro line somewhere in 2017... I simply don't care anymore. I feel abandoned by them and they totally let me down.

Just out of interest, what does a Mac Pro do for you that a top of the line iMac doesn't? I run a Mac Pro at work - it's a couple of years old, as are most, I guess - and have a fully specced 27" iMac at home. My iMac far outperforms my work Mac Pro and is just as flexible as far as my needs go (as a part time photographer at home - I'm a web developer by day). This is a genuine question - what do you need from a Mac Pro that an iMac can't provide?

Mr. Rib

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »

Modularity. Expandability. Access to HDs / RAM if need be without need of servicing. More ports, a monitor of my choice (yes, you can connect a second monitor to the iMac but I'd still want to choose both displays by myself). Better performance (yes, I expect a Mac Pro to be significantly faster than iMac line- and since it's not the case nowadays, I'm disappointed).

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 08:15:28 pm »

Just out of interest, what does a Mac Pro do for you that a top of the line iMac doesn't? I run a Mac Pro at work - it's a couple of years old, as are most, I guess - and have a fully specced 27" iMac at home. My iMac far outperforms my work Mac Pro and is just as flexible as far as my needs go (as a part time photographer at home - I'm a web developer by day). This is a genuine question - what do you need from a Mac Pro that an iMac can't provide?
Not having to use a crappy screen that is better suited to doing one's make up than professional graphics work is the most obvious reason, not to mention that I use dual [and identical] monitors. I also have 6 hard drives in the machine and another 4 'internal' drives via an eSata card and will probably add another 4. Which probably works out cheaper than getting an iMac and adding expensive thunderbolt HDs, if you can even find ones you want. Not LaCie for example.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 08:20:29 pm »

I'm on the same boat as Bernard. And after today's keynote, I am starting the search for a different platform. As much as I like OS and as much as I dislike Windows (mainly aesthetic reasons though)
Windows unlike OSX is very customisable, so you can make it look like OSX if you want. I used to skin XP to look like Panther.

jjj

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »

Any file management application/process less than Directory Opus (which is basically everything else) is a disadvantage :-)
I so wish DOpus was available for OSX, a fantastically powerful programme and amazing time saver. I use it on my PC via the network to do file management on my Macs as it's so much easier.
And if it wasn't for PathFinder [which is rather pathetic compared to DOpus] which allows me to bypass the truly awful Finder, I would ditch OSX without hesitation. It's probably the worst software on the planet and has been left to rot and die since the 90s.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 08:51:50 pm »

No way I going there... I am looking for a trouble free and reliable platform to work...  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Mine is flawless and runs perfectly every day.  I skipped Sandy bridge but I'll be doing a Ivy soon. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 08:55:26 pm »

I just had a look on some hackintosh pages and it reminded me of one of the reasons i always liked the Mac... It just works !

I do not want to build my car- I do not want to become an expert in building computers and to know all the quirks-  I am a user ...that needs a fast computer

You really don't need to be an expert and the installs are quite vanilla if you use the right parts and software.

Tonymac is he very best IMO hack site and he has custom build list that work great.  If you can use a screwdriver you can build a desktop hackintosh.
Craig Lamson Photo

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 11:10:45 pm »

You really don't need to be an expert and the installs are quite vanilla if you use the right parts and software.

Tonymac is he very best IMO hack site and he has custom build list that work great.  If you can use a screwdriver you can build a desktop hackintosh.

That's not the point. The point is the lack of support if/when something goes wrong.

I have built and had built custom PCs before, it is not a matter of basic tinkering skills.

Cheers,
Bernard

Craig Lamson

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »

That's not the point. The point is the lack of support if/when something goes wrong.

I have built and had built custom PCs before, it is not a matter of basic tinkering skills.

Cheers,
Bernard

Short of a Dell, do you think you will get support?  I would rather deal with it myself, but YMMV.
Craig Lamson Photo

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 12:30:43 am »

Short of a Dell, do you think you will get support?  I would rather deal with it myself, but YMMV.

HP should be able to provide support as well. Besides Sony, NEC, Fujitsu,... and many other companies do provide support to their customers still.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up