Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom 4.1 : Reading 32 Bit HDR TIFF Images  (Read 12159 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Adobe Lightroom 4.1 : Reading 32 Bit HDR TIFF Images
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:35:23 am »

A video from RC Concepcion on one of LR 4.1's new features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtV9dWyN7JM

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

francois

Re: Adobe Lightroom 4.1 : Reading 32 Bit HDR TIFF Images
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:30 am »

Thanks for sharing this video. I wasn't aware of that feature of LR 4.1.
Francois

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:14 am »

Yes, Lr 4.1 and ACR 7.1 have the ability to import and render floating-point HDR images.  Supported formats are TIFF and DNG.  (If you have HDR images in other formats like OpenEXR or Radiance, you can use Photoshop or other tools to convert them to TIFF.)  Supported bit depths are 16, 24, and 32 bits per channel.

If you're using Photoshop's Merge to HDR Pro feature to perform the "merge" step, be sure to choose 32-bit output in the top-right popup menu of the HDR Pro dialog box.  This will generate a floating point (but not yet tone-mapped) image, which you can then use ACR or LR to render and tone map using the new PV 2012 controls.
Eric Chan

Peter Kunzler

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »

Thanks for the hint - worked also with TIF Floating Point data exported from Photomatix Pro

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:56:54 am »

It's nice that Adobe has finally incorporated some measure of 32 bit file handling into LR.  But limiting it to TIFF is still not as good as it could (should) be.  The ability to edit 32 bit images in LR isn't really a concern.  But cataloguing of 32 bit files of any type would have been a better first step.

I took a look at the capability this morning.  Two files are attached.  The first is an 8 bit version of a 32 bit file with no adjustments that was created in HDR Pro.  I also saved the 32 bit file in TIFF format and imported that into LR.  The second image is the 32 bit TIFF with, what appears to be, a default 'rendering' in LR.  No other adjustments were made.  This is simply what happened to the file after importing it.  

Is this the result of the 2012 Process Version which is 'skewed' to protect highlights?

Looking at Concepcion's video it appears the same thing happened to his image.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:01:12 am by BobFisher »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:52:34 am »

No, it's simply that the white point in the 32-bit image is set differently than in the 8-bit image.  So the initial exposure appears different.  Simply adjust the Exposure slider till you get the overall image brightness you want.
Eric Chan

tom.nevesely

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 10:11:41 am »

I don't have CS6 so I tried creating a 32bit floating TIFF in Photmatix 4.2.1
However, when I bring this tiff in to Lightroom it is severely over exposed and I need to set the exposure to something like -9 or even -10. Anyone seeing this too or knows whats going on? I'd really appreciate any help.  :)

mike gove

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 10:22:33 am »

However, when I bring this tiff in to Lightroom it is severely over exposed and I need to set the exposure to something like -9 or even -10. Anyone seeing this too or knows whats going on? I'd really appreciate any help.  :)

Yup - same issue.  A bit better than the beta but the default white point is very high indeed.  With full -10 exposure I needed a few gradients and adjustment brushes with -5 or so in order to bring it back to usable

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:57:13 am »

Hi Tom,

The exposure control predominantly targets the midtones (in PV2012). Try clicking on Auto, and see what that gives you.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

tom.nevesely

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 11:21:57 am »

Thanks, that works.
I suspect there is a but somewhere (either in Photomatix or Lightroom) that causes the images to come in so over exposed. Hmm...

RFPhotography

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:30:41 am »

Thanks, Eric.  Why would the white point be set differently in LR than PS?  Why not just leave the white point as it is in the original image?

@Tom & Mike, I suspect this is the same issue as I was experiencing but in the opposite direction.  I suspect that LR is resetting the white point of the images.  I just did a merge of the same source files I posted earlier but in PM, saved it as a TIFF, imported into LR and got the same result you did. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:43:30 pm by BobFisher »

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 08:07:53 am »

I have started a similar thread without realizing the prior existance of this one.
It does however deal with my own experience using 32-bit image processing in Lr4.1.

My apologies

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up