Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long before we can render sunlight?  (Read 2253 times)

dreed

How long before we can render sunlight?
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:43:06 am »

With geotagging of photos, we can now pinpoint where we were at the time a photograph was taken.

Since GPS satellites also provide time information, we should be able to also know precisely when it was taken.

That allows us to accurately determine where in the sky the sun is relative to the photographer and the subject (landscape.)

If there is sunlight in the image, along with shadows, then it should be possible to determine what objects are of what height and thus fill in the complete 3D map in more detail than is available simply with a terrain map from the likes of Google.

If we put all of the above together, then we should be able to take any given landscape image with sunlight and then move the location of the sun and have an updated image fall out of the process. It may also be a small step from that point to simulate the day of the year.

If it was possible using a plugin or otherwise "change the sun position" that then allowed you to selected where on the sphere to place the sun, is that going too far in post processing?

32BT

• Pictures
Re: How long before we can render sunlight?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:40 am »

If it was possible using a plugin or otherwise "change the sun position" that then allowed you to selected where on the sphere to place the sun, is that going too far in post processing?

No, especially if it would change color (and the scene colors) accordingly. But I don't think that it will ever happen, because most technically inclined human beings (read: engineers) seem to suffer various degrees of colorblindness. Come to think of it: most photographers these days as well.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:14:35 am »

It is easier than that.  My son is an animator with DreamWorks and they render lighting after the scene is created as a matter of routine.  I don't see any reason why that technology couln't be applied to a nice, intentionally flat, digital photograph file.    ;D
Rand Scott Adams

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:03:10 pm »

Excellent.  That means I never have to go to Death Valley or The Isle of Skye again. 

jgbowerman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:37 am »

I'm fascinated by the possibilities. I don't believe there should be any limitations to what is considered acceptable when it comes to postprocessing... artistic license has no boundaries, IMO. Along the lines of simulating directional sunlight, I found Peter Eastman's Photoshop workflow remarkably simple and yet extremely effective!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/1photo-pages/the_making_of_the_stirling_ranges.shtml
Pages: [1]   Go Up