Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent prairie skies  (Read 2476 times)

sdwilsonsct

Recent prairie skies
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:41:02 pm »

Thanks for looking!
Scott
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:58:17 pm by sdwilsonsct »

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
Re: Recent prairie skies
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:26:31 am »

Great photos Scott. I love the second one.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:34 am »

Nice clouds, especially the third.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:21:58 am »

They all have merit but #3 is a standout. The sky seems to crush the ground.

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:35 am »

I'm with Mike and Justan, #3 is the best and also a very dramatic photo.
Francois

dreed

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:34:18 pm »

I think that the image is too tall for what is the major component - the cloud going from left to right.

Here I've crop'd it. What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:39:18 pm by dreed »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »

Here I've crop'd it. What do you think?

I like it: thanks! I try and resist cropping, but there is a time or place for everything. This composition is limited by a NASA-like white grain bin just to the right of the house.

Thanks to all for the comments. I am frustrated by #3. There is lots of range in light, but it still looks a bit soft and muddy to me.

Scott

dreed

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 05:00:51 pm »

I like it: thanks! I try and resist cropping, but there is a time or place for everything. This composition is limited by a NASA-like white grain bin just to the right of the house.

Read more of Michael's comments where he often says that photographs are rarely supposed to be a 3:2 arrangement.

He crops his photos quite often and often quite heavily to achieve the right look. IMHO he does this quite successfully and there is a lot to be learned from this.

Often we see a scene and our intent is to capture as much of what we see that grabs our attention without quite knowing how to pass that on to others.

In this case, I think the treatment required is rather straight forward due to the image content, although the correct crop is unlikely what I've presented.

Thanks to all for the comments. I am frustrated by #3. There is lots of range in light, but it still looks a bit soft and muddy to me.

Again, try cropping. Maybe it works better with less of the foreground or less of the left of the photo.

Also, with the 2nd, try a graduated filter to darken the top section of the image.

Tony Jay

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:21 pm »

All the images have real potential.

How you deal with them in post-processing has everything to do with intent and how you remember the scene at the time.
Perhaps you do need to try several different different approaches with both global and regional tonal processing to get what you are after.
Try cropping first and then adjusting tone and colour later once you have got the composition sorted.

Because of the potential of the images one could learn a lot from doing multiple treatments and comparing them. Perhaps a third-party may be useful to critique the different approaches.

Regards

Tony Jay

graeme

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:33:36 am »

Hi Scott

Great photos. 3 is my favourite but I also like 1 a lot. It's the color composition in 3 that does it for me. I bet it would make a great large print. ( Whatever camera it was taken with - it doesn't depend on fine detail for its' impact ).

Regards

Graeme

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 04:19:39 pm »

Thanks, Graeme! Good suggestions, dreed and Tony. I tried a square crop on the left side of #3 but that doesn't help the contrast problem. I look forward to trying out your suggestions soon....
...it's gone all warm, sunny and even nearly still on the prairies: time to catch up on yardwork!
Scott

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:02:19 am »

try several different different approaches with both global and regional tonal processing to get what you are after.

That worked, Tony.  I just ignored the bright patch and adjusted the rest until I liked it. Then I went back and fixed up the bright patch.

The new version is up under the original for easy comparison.

BTW a method I have found for retrieving colour and structure in small bright patches is to turn down the contrast in the patch. No idea why, but it seems to work.

Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up