Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know what Hasselblad is up to?  (Read 15657 times)

nad54

Does anyone know what Hasselblad is up to?
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:22:14 pm »

Anyone got any thoughts as to whether Hasselblad wants to stay in the MF market? Price reductions don't really help those of us who already have H camera systems. If anything they just devalued our equipment.
Do the new owners think they can turn the company into a 'boutique' manufacturer like Leica. Ferrari editions ... come on.
What they should be saying is they are fully committed to MF and they are working on new products. Those price reductions could be seen as panicking.
Hasselblad, I am afraid to say your marketing sucks.

design_freak

Re: Does anyone know what Hasselblad is up to?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:49:59 pm »

::)

Best regards,
DF

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:52:23 am »

We should all be happy that quality gear is getting cheaper. Are you a photographer or a gear collector?

nad54

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:06:57 am »

I am most definitely a working photographer and designer and as such the equipment I use is a tool and not a toy. Anyone investing considerable amounts of money in a medium format digital system including substantial investment in glass needs to know the manufacturers are going to keep developing that system and not pull the plug on it. What concerns me is the lack of positive messages coming out of Hasselblad.

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:28:48 am »

I don't think Hasselblad is dropping the MF line anytime soon. It works for them and frankly if anything they've been prepping to strengthen their position... What with the Broncelblad unification stateside.

Good on them I think, someone needed to, but they do need to update their digital system... Actually Phase one seriously need to update their DF... But that's another story for another thread.

figure1a

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »

I think with the price reductions, they are panicking. Just about every pro shooter uses Phase One backs. Although most pair the P1 backs with a Hassey. But no one uses Hasselblad's backs or their terrible software.

henrikfoto

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:08:59 pm »

I am most definitely a working photographer and designer and as such the equipment I use is a tool and not a toy. Anyone investing considerable amounts of money in a medium format digital system including substantial investment in glass needs to know the manufacturers are going to keep developing that system and not pull the plug on it. What concerns me is the lack of positive messages coming out of Hasselblad.

I have the same worries as you have. I am afraid this is the beginning of the end for Hasselblad as we know them.
I fear that soon we will only have one real MF company (PhaseLeafMamiya). I know Pentax is still alive, but it's seems to me this is not the company that will drive the tecknology forward.

I would be very scared to buy new Hasselblad gear at this time. Iwouldn't be supprices if Hasselblad will go for something completely new that appeals to the consumer-market.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:07:57 pm by henrikfoto »

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 04:38:50 pm »

I think with the price reductions, they are panicking. Just about every pro shooter uses Phase One backs. Although most pair the P1 backs with a Hassey. But no one uses Hasselblad's backs or their terrible software.

This is total rubbish and you really do not know what you are talking about.  Sure the P1 backs are good but many photographers (myself included) use the complete Hasselblad system.  Their software is not bad and works well with the Hasselblad system.  Hasselblad are in the business of supporting their entire market place with in-depth support and a complete camera system.  That is why their subsidiary in the UK (Pro Centre) are happy to rent either Hasselblad entire cameras or the cameras paired with P1 backs.

David Watson ARPS

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 04:48:08 pm »

I have the same worries as you have. I am afraid this is the beginning of the end for Hasselblad as we know them.
I fear that soon we will only have one real MF company (PhaseLeafMamiya). I know Pentax is still alive, but it's seems to me this is not the company that will drive the tecknology forward.

I would be very scared to buy new Hasselblad gear at this time. Iwouldn't be supprices if Hasselblad will go for something completely new that appeals to the consumer-market.

We really do not know what Hasselblad are doing with their business or their product line.  I cannot believe that they have been bought recently and that the new owners will screw up their traditional market.  Many photographers have a significant investment in Hasselblad glass and appreciate the in-depth support the company provides.  We all know that the depreciation on MFD backs is horrendous and you know that when you buy the kit. Nothing has changed.  The D800 is a fine camera (I have a D800E) but it is most definitely not a Hasselblad and never will be.  Let's ee what happens before we start writing the company (and our investment) off.
David Watson ARPS

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 05:11:38 pm »

The thing that confuses the heck out of me is this Hasselblad H to Leica S2 adapter. I mean it's hard to believe that Leica came up with this on their own, so i have to assume Hasselblad helped in some way, and seeing how fiercely they have protected their closed system in the past I am surprised that they would condone this adapter which almost seems to make it seem like they plan to be making money only from lenses soon...?
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 07:20:41 pm »

This begs the question: what has Hasselblad announced (or shipped) as far as products in the past 2 years? I am not talking rehashed products that are painted in red that are still sitting on storage shelves. I mean honest to goodness real products. I can't think of a single thing. Phase One and Leaf announced an 80mp camera / back 15 or so months ago. Is Hasselblad going to have anything of note to answer?
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

henrikfoto

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 07:26:37 pm »

Hasselblad has the best name in the hole MF market. It is not unlikely that the new owners are interested in
using the name to market products to a wider audience. Maybe a digital panorama like the x-pan or a high-end compact?

Just speculations of course, but the brand is sure worth a lot to the right people.

Like it is now Hasselblad has not been making money for years, and are falling behind Phase One.
It seems like they are not investing hard for a comeback, but are cutting
expences instead. They might be "digitally dying" like Sinar did some time ago..
If they don't keep on making better backs Nikon and others will sooner or later catch up with them.

Henrik
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:31:07 pm by henrikfoto »

JV

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »

This begs the question: what has Hasselblad announced (or shipped) as far as products in the past 2 years?
I can't think of a single thing.

The H4D-200MS perhaps... the H4X as well...

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »

H4x? That took zero engineering skills to make an existing camera compatible with Phase One digital backs. Zero, because Phase One is the resource who designed the interface to begin with (and has been part of a lawsuit between the two companies in years past).
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

JV

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »

H4x? That took zero engineering skills to make an existing camera compatible with Phase One digital backs. Zero, because Phase One is the resource who designed the interface to begin with (and has been part of a lawsuit between the two companies in years past).

Still very much appreciated by a/o myself.  Photokina will tell what Hasselblad, Phase and others have up their sleeves.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:44:44 pm by JV »

mediumcool

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »

The thing that confuses the heck out of me is this Hasselblad H to Leica S2 adapter. I mean it's hard to believe that Leica came up with this on their own, so i have to assume Hasselblad helped in some way, and seeing how fiercely they have protected their closed system in the past I am surprised that they would condone this adapter which almost seems to make it seem like they plan to be making money only from lenses soon...?

All evidence points to it being a solo effort on the part of Leica.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 03:06:28 am »

All evidence points to it being a solo effort on the part of Leica.

I was actually under the impression it was a third party thing...

mediumcool

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 04:17:26 am »

I was actually under the impression it was a third party thing...

Evidence?
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 04:51:27 am »

Evidence?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=66920.msg529216#msg529216

Actually after re-reading it, perhaps it was meant independently of Hasselblad and not both. ^_^' My mistake.

Nick-T

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »

As always here on LL another Hasselblad thread populated with nonsense posts about Hasselblad not selling any cameras, losing money and so on.

To answer the OP's question in one word:

Photokina

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up