Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If possible, can I use Xenon light to do art reproduction?  (Read 3449 times)

aaronchan

Dear All,

Here is just my theoretical question, as I understand xenon light is a full spectrum light source and it does not produce heat like tungsten.
So if I put a UV cut filter and a -500k gel filter in front of it, it should do a good job right?

aaron

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: If possible, can I use Xenon light to do art reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:21 am »

Make a custom profile it and see how it looks...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »

There is more or less a standard 5000K for flash lights that does work for reproduction photography and it is Xenon based. That said there are Xenon lamps for cars ranging from 4000K up to 12000K. I guess anything close to 5000K and with a continuous spectrum, so without spectral spikes, should work.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

jwoolf

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »

When you say Xenon light, what exactly do you mean?  Are you referring to HMI lights, used mostly for film making?  All continuous light sources produce heat (IR radiation) and UV radiation.  Xenon and other high pressure gas fixtures produce less heat than tungsten or halogen quartz fixtures.  But they produce considerably more UV.

I've worked at a major US museum for over 30 years reproducing art work and I can tell you that most museums do not use continuous light sources for photographing art works.  Most use electronic flash.  However, in recent years high frequency fluorescent lights and LED lights have been used.  If you are looking for a continuous light source for photographing art work, I would recommend either of these -- especially LED -- over Xenon.  Both are much cooler and safer for the artwork.  LED fixtures are expensive in the larger sizes, but produce almost no heat and little or no UV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up