Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO 7.5 released with D800 support on 64 bits  (Read 19300 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

lhodaniel

Re: DxO 7.5 released with D800 support on 64 bits
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 11:22:26 pm »

Don't worry about DxO 7.5 with your new D800E. I have mine and guess what? D800E files are still not supported. Furthermore, DxO says they plan support it in an upcoming version, but they don't know when. Apparently, the D3200 is next out and is more important to them than the D800E. I'm sure there will be multitudes of D3200 owners purchasing a $200-300 software package for a $600 camera.

To the Maginot Line again! Viva la France!  >:(

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 07:01:07 am »

Just as annoyed to see the 800E was not supported. Their website implies that even if the specific optics module support is not  there it would read the files. It does not. Their email to me said support in the coming weeks. So I suppose they've been trained to say whatever it takes to shut up dissatisfied customers.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:56:55 pm »

Guess I don't understand why it would support one and not the other. Same sensor, same lenses?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »

Guess I don't understand why it would support one and not the other. Same sensor, same lenses?

Could it be that their automatic local sharpening is impacted by the difference of accutance of the files?

Cheers,
Bernard

lhodaniel

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:28:59 am »

Right. I understand that the E would require another round of testing of lenses. It bothers me more that they don't even have the E on the upcoming schedule (and that it's not a priority) than the fact that they don't have support now. Adobe and Phase One have managed to support it.

I was put off years ago by DxO when I was told that my D100 was not worth supporting for raw files. It was a current camera then, though the D70 had just been released. DxO did go back and do Canons of vintage similar to the D100. My fear is that they view the D800E as a niche camera (based on Nikon's initial 10% Production figure), and is not worth the trouble.

The longer I've been at this, the more I believe that one should stick to Adobe and maybe the OEM software, if it offers something special. I've been burned by Lightzone and RawShooter, although the latter turned out OK with free Lightroom.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 02:22:29 am »

The longer I've been at this, the more I believe that one should stick to Adobe and maybe the OEM software, if it offers something special. I've been burned by Lightzone and RawShooter, although the latter turned out OK with free Lightroom.

DXO can be used to convert a sub-set of your images without having to fully commit to it.

I see it as essential for my J1 images, have not formed an opinion yet about its value compared to LR for the the D800 files, probably less since I tend to use better lenses with it. Still, DxO7.0 does tend to deliver excellent default tones with Nikon files.

Cheers,
Bernard

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »

... and D800E support is scheduled on their website for July. I'm content to wait. I like DXO for architectural straightening.

lhodaniel

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »

That is good news! There was no mention of the D800E when I last posted. Nor did the customer support people have a date. Perhaps this thread encouraged them to get it scheduled.  :)

dhale

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 07:40:33 am »

Who would spend the money on DXO, and a $600.00 camera.  I would.  Why be condescending.  I do a lot of high country backpacking, and the D3200 makes a lot more sense than a D7000.  If you had ever climbed over 10,000' peaks carrying a significant amount of camera gear, you would appreciate a light 24 megapixel camera.

lhodaniel

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:22:36 am »

I didn't mean to be condescending to D3200 owners. For your use, the light weight of the camera is a perfect match. Heck, I'm thinking of getting one for that reason and for the inexpensive wifi tethering.

Happily, this is all moot now. DxO again beat their own schedule and have just released the D800E-compatible version 7.5.1. I tried it today and it is great! My original frustration was based upon the D800E not being on the website schedule and upon getting a very indefinite response initially from their customer service via email. Had either of those conditions been different, I would have never complained.

dhale

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:50 pm »

DXO included the Nikon D3200 in the update.  I have been using it to see what my Nikkor 24mm 1:1.4 will do with the D3200.  This lens will be for night street photography.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »

That is good news! There was no mention of the D800E when I last posted.

I don't know precisely when D800E support was added, but the module is available now.

Moreover, I'm finding that DxO's automated sensor and lens modules—I don't do any sharpening, color correction or other manual editing with the product—definitely seem to produce a better initial image than Lightroom's lens profile corrections.  I've tested with several lenses and that's been true of all of them.

Until I started shooting with a D800E, I had largely abandoned DxO since Lightroom's profile corrections seemed to do as well, or very nearly so, with files from other bodies, and I wanted to save the step since I do all my other post-processing in LR and, occasionally, Photoshop.  But I have to rethink that strategy now since DxO consistently provides me with a better starting point.

I've attached a test shot.  First version is the full frame as demosaiced by LR but otherwise unprocessed; second is a crop processed with LR's profile corrections only; third is the same crop processed by the automated sensor and lens modules of DxO only.

Of course, it's possible that, after manual editing, I might wind up with the same image quality if I did everything in LR, but it's nice to get a head start.  And, needless to say, I save the original NEFs because someday LR's automatic correction capability may eventually catch up.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 06:09:18 pm by Chris Kern »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:17:56 am »

I have to agree, I like the DXO conversions of D800 files a lot too! Great tones and colors with zero human action.

I also find the perspective correction of DxO to be a live saver.

I end up using DxO most of the time for images shot with a lens having a DxO profile.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up