Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing photos each with specific profile/intent. Possible?  (Read 3161 times)

mac_paolo

I create two different Proof Copies, each with its profile and rendering intent.
I then select both of them and CMD+P to print.

What is going happen?  ???

1) Each photo will be printed with its specific settings
2) Both photos will be printed with the settings of one of them
3) Both photos will be printed to the settings I left in the "Print Job" section of the Print module?

Thanks,
Paolo

mac_paolo

Re: Printing photos each with specific profile/intent. Possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:59:59 pm »

No one knows? :)

howardm

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:09 am »

As I recall from watching a few LR4 videos (I think it was Andrew's video #2), LR keeps the proofing setup along w/ each proof copy (thus overriding the print module parameters).  if that's true, then your answer is behind door #1

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:15:16 am »

From a VC (Proof Copy), the rendering intent selected should be honored in Print despite the template.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mac_paolo

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:05:52 pm »

I thank You guys for the kind responses.
Is there any chance to have a definitive answer? :)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:24:56 pm »

I don't know the answer but I would just pull the trigger and watch.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

mac_paolo

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:32:01 am »

I don't know the answer but I would just pull the trigger and watch.
Yes, of course, but it's not always easy to understand both the profile and the intent used by watching the print.
I don't have any booth next to my Mac to be that precise in color comparison.
Beside that I'm running out of paper and my R3000 is not cheap on the ink side, so an answer from a skilled forum member would be appreciated :)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 04:46:42 am »

Yes, of course, but it's not always easy to understand both the profile and the intent used by watching the print.
I don't have any booth next to my Mac to be that precise in color comparison.
Beside that I'm running out of paper and my R3000 is not cheap on the ink side, so an answer from a skilled forum member would be appreciated :)

I don't class myself as a skilled forum member but to be fair time is also not cheap and sometimes you just have to do your own work.  A daylight balanced desk lamp is not an astronomical cost and to be honest if you cannot see any differences yourself perhaps you shouldn't worry to much.  Perhaps you just have to be a bit more patient and wait till someone has time to answer your question.

Jim

mac_paolo

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:51:41 am »

Perhaps you just have to be a bit more patient and wait till someone has time to answer your question.

Jim
Perhaps it's not just my question, but a question for every printing photographer, isn't it?

PS: daylight balanced desk lamp? Is there anyone who still thinks that a daylight bulb is anywhere near to a daylight spectrum? I really meant specific full spectrum booths, which are not available everywhere nor come cheap at all.

PPS: if you're not interested in this matter, you may just skip the thread. There are a lot of other discussions on LuLa :)
I wrote here because I didn't fully help myself with in-house testing. Maybe someone else could help. That's it. Have a nice day.

Tony Jay

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 07:11:11 am »

Getting cranky is not going to fix your softproofing problem.
Perhaps someone does know the answer and will help you.
My guess is that the experiment will just need to be done to know.

You may need to be patient.

Regards

Tony Jay

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 08:00:40 am »

Perhaps it's not just my question, but a question for every printing photographer, isn't it?

PS: daylight balanced desk lamp? Is there anyone who still thinks that a daylight bulb is anywhere near to a daylight spectrum? I really meant specific full spectrum booths, which are not available everywhere nor come cheap at all.

PPS: if you're not interested in this matter, you may just skip the thread. There are a lot of other discussions on LuLa :)
I wrote here because I didn't fully help myself with in-house testing. Maybe someone else could help. That's it. Have a nice day.

Yes, I take your point, but you have posted four fairly impatient messages and all I am saying is be patient because a lot of the 'Experts' here probably are busy people and you are assuming that their time is lass valuable than your paper and ink.  Regarding the desk lamp idea, I have a Verilux lamp which costs around $100 and gives a very neutral light and personally I find it is excellent in checking colours.  I did say I am not an expert, but I do a huge amount of printing, mostly out of Lightroom, and I am quite fussy about getting the colour right.

As to the comment that I am not interested in this thread - I only joined in to help you.

Jim

mac_paolo

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 08:34:56 am »

I am patient, but english is not my primary language, so my tone can be misunderstood. I apologize for that.
What I much less like is someone who shows up just to say: "I don't care a lot, try yourself". I did try, but didn't find an answer. That's it. :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 09:29:20 am »

I answered the question.

And it is super easy to test. Make a print in Photoshop and LR with the intent in question and examine the match.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 11:19:17 am »

so an answer from a skilled forum member would be appreciated

I did answer you. Look at my site I think you will find that I am a "skilled forum member" having printed dozens of museum shows over the years and teaching printing at two universities. IME sometimes you just have to waste the ink and paper and simply look at your results. Soft proofing etc. only goes so far.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

mac_paolo

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:11:38 pm »

I did answer you. Look at my site I think you will find that I am a "skilled forum member" having printed dozens of museum shows over the years and teaching printing at two universities. IME sometimes you just have to waste the ink and paper and simply look at your results. Soft proofing etc. only goes so far.
You definitely misunderstood my post. I wrote that I need an answer from a skilled forum member as in abstract, replying to those who asked the reason for this topic.
If was NOT saying I'm still waiting for other replies from real skilled member as you are not. That was absolutely NOT my intention.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:02 pm »

Yes, if you print from a Proof Copy (as set up by Soft Proof in Develop), then the Print module will honor whatever render intent you set up with that Proof Copy.  Just make sure you're using the same printer profile as you used for the proof copy.  (This behavior is briefly summarized in the mouse-over tooltip for the Perceptual/Relative intent option in the Print Job panel.)

This means you can send a single print job of 20 images, mixing and matching intents.

This also means you can put multiple images on a page (e.g., contact sheet), and different images on that page can have different intents.
Eric Chan

mac_paolo

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:35:24 pm »

Yes, if you print from a Proof Copy (as set up by Soft Proof in Develop), then the Print module will honor whatever render intent you set up with that Proof Copy.  Just make sure you're using the same printer profile as you used for the proof copy.  (This behavior is briefly summarized in the mouse-over tooltip for the Perceptual/Relative intent option in the Print Job panel.)

This means you can send a single print job of 20 images, mixing and matching intents.

This also means you can put multiple images on a page (e.g., contact sheet), and different images on that page can have different intents.
Thanks Eric!
Is it valid for different profiles too?

Example 1:
20 photos (from 20 proof copies), each on a separate sheet, same printer but different profiles (some profile maker output 3 variations to protect highly saturated tones on a different basis).

Example 2:
Same as above, but 2 or more pictures on the same sheet, each with a different profile/intent.

This may seem odd, but I mostly print on sheets, often big sheets, often with more than one photo each. Sometimes I just launch with relative intent for all the images (easy...), but when high saturation tones are involved, colorful profiles with perceptual intent may match with standard profile with relative intent.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

Example 1:
20 photos (from 20 proof copies), each on a separate sheet, same printer but different profiles (some profile maker output 3 variations to protect highly saturated tones on a different basis).

Did you not see this:

Just make sure you're using the same printer profile as you used for the proof copy.

mac_paolo

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »

Did you not see this:
I did, just wanted to be sure as it would be definitely a killer feature for me. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up