Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase P30+ and large print sizes  (Read 3638 times)

pjtn

Phase P30+ and large print sizes
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:57:39 am »

I'm trying to figure out how large I should print from my Phase One P30+. I'm cropping down to a square and considering printing 40" x 40". The files will be black and white landscapes for fine art purposes, would this be stretching the files too far?

I know a lot depends on viewing distance and quality up to your nose won't be brilliant, but it would be nice to stand within a few feet and still feel it looks good.

I can't run my own test prints because my P30+ hasn't arrived and I won't have access to a printer for a while.

theguywitha645d

Re: Phase P30+ and large print sizes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:05 pm »

Your prints should be beautiful at 40x40. Go for it.

NickCroken

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »

I think you'll be fine.  I have an aptus 65 and print near that size quite frequently.  What are you planning on printing on? 

pjtn

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »

Thanks for the responses, that sounds promising.

I haven't actually decided exactly what paper to print on yet, most likely a Hahnemühle Photo Rag Pearl or their regular Photo Rag matte paper.

I'm going to try Jeff Gaydash with his Piezography printing method to see how much better it is than Epson's black and white. http://jeffgaydash.com/editions/?page_id=20

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:04:33 pm »

A matte paper will reduce some of the sharpness you should be more than fine.

I've printed 50x70" from my p30+ with excellent results.

pjtn

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:37:53 pm »

Thanks. I was thinking about the paper and wasn't sure if it was better to get a sharp gloss paper or a matte. It makes sense though to use the matte paper. I will probably use a little bit of film grain to hide some of the digital look from the enlarging too.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:16:04 am »

Make sure you do a testprint with the grain to get it "right". And when you do the testprint do it 1:1 scale some people just do small pics with a testprint.

When I testprint on my ipf 8300 i always to it in 1:1 then put it on the wall and watch it at the correct distance.

Good luck!

pjtn

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 06:45:58 am »

I agree getting the film grain right is difficult. At the moment I don't have a printer but I think that I will get something small like an Epson R3000 for proof printing.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:47:48 am »

I will probably use a little bit of film grain to hide some of the digital look from the enlarging too.

I would not even worry about it--you are not going to see pixelation nor anything that will suggest the process. It you are worried about it, and I don't know why you would as you have never even tried it, then I would simply up rez the files.

pjtn

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 07:45:17 pm »

Ok, maybe this back is capable of better image quality than I expected then. I do like the look of a light grain though, I like the way the tonal transitions look.

I know David Burdeny was shooting with a P30+ back for a lot of his iceberg photos and he printed up to 57" x 57". I can hardly believe how large they must be, that's only about 85ppi from the file.

pjtn

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:32:23 am »

Am I right in thinking that photos should be viewed at 50% zoom to gauge their detail and sharpness for print? When I look in at 100% on a file they look soft, but at 50% they look fine. I'm playing with a file from a Nikon D800 at the moment at 50" x 75".

theguywitha645d

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 03:07:36 pm »

I can hardly believe how large they must be, that's only about 85ppi from the file.

Viewing distance counts. This fixation on DPI is way overblown. Print big and be happy.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 03:09:00 pm »

Am I right in thinking that photos should be viewed at 50% zoom to gauge their detail and sharpness for print?

No, you print it out at any size, although I might recommend 16x20, and view from a distance equal to the diagonal of the print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up