Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring, Cheltenham Badlands  (Read 1922 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Spring, Cheltenham Badlands
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:19 pm »

Cheltenham Badlands – a small area of eroded shale along the Niagara Escarpment near Toronto, Ontario – is a favourite for landscape photography. Great textures, shapes, colours and contrasts. I was there yesterday morning (Victoria Day here in Canada) before sunrise with fellow photographer and forum contributor Kerry Little. Here are a few from the day.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Spring, Cheltenham Badlands
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:22 pm »

Terry, these are lovely, especially the last one. Speaking about the #3, is there a chance to see a bit more to the right of the tree?

John R

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »

I know the place well and go there often. I have done slide shows for winter and other seasons. Missed this year, almost no snow. The green tree has real nice soft glow feel. Excellent work, Terry.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:25:56 pm »

Terry, these are lovely, especially the last one. Speaking about the #3, is there a chance to see a bit more to the right of the tree?

Thanks, Slobodan. You're right about #3 - here is the same with slightly more to the right of the tree. Any more than that and I find the tree beginning to "float" rather than "anchor".

I've also attached a 4:3 crop. I still prefer the 1:1 crop, but I also like to experiment with seeing. I'll live with both for while until one or the other speaks louder.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »

I am usually a sucker for square (from my Hasselblad days), but in this case I prefer the 4:3 version... just seem a bit more balanced. With the tree so close to the right edge, it takes a bit longer on the left to counter-balance it. Forgot to mention, I also like the warm-tone b&w.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 02:14:07 am »

Some very good work here.  My preference is for the first, but like Slobodan, I like the 4:3 version of #3 for reasons already given.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:20:51 am »

My favourite is actually number 3, I think it emphasizes the nakedeness and bare texture of the landscape and the rocks. It has an organic feel to it. In the other two, the tree is lovely, but it "steals" from the landscape texture.

francois

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:19:20 am »

+1 for the third image, brilliant.
Francois

churly

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:41:55 pm »

Terry.  I am really enjoying this set.  I've been back for a couple looks.  I think #1 is my favorite.  The depth and the path into the image are fascinating.  I'm hoping to do some badlands shooting  in the next couple of weeks.  You have provided great inspiration at just the right time.
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up