Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something a little different  (Read 4392 times)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Re: Something a little different
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »

Well.. interesting thread.  I feel baited.

Instead of critiquing the negative aspects of this image, instead I'll concentrate on the positive aspects and one interesting aspect:

+1, but a different "interesting aspect". What I like about the image is something entirely unrelated to the formal qualities which, as its creator has cogently pointed out, it largely lacks, which are understandably privileged on this site, but which I find are sometimes possessed in abundance by uninteresting images. For me it has a little bit - a very little bit - of what I call a "see the world in a grain of sand" quality. Seeing the world in a grain of sand means seeing something infinitely interesting (the world) in something not so interesting (a grain of sand). Amolitor's image gives me a small, randomly selected, unique and never-to-be-repeated window on reality in some of its abiding aspects - rocks, green things, light. The focal point for this is the flower and its shadow. I was touched in a  way which I find hard to define but easy to recognise, and thought of the story about the disciple of Buddha who demonstrated his enlightenment by holding up a flower. Now of course, this quality is by no means incompatible with formal qualities, indeed it in great images it is enhanced by them, and I am not saying this is a great image - just that it pleases me in a particular way that makes the formal critique largely beside the point.
Ken Cameron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up