Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huangshan  (Read 1833 times)

bdosserman

Huangshan
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:44:25 pm »

Hi all,
   This is my first post in this area, and I know my photos aren't up to the level of much of what's posted here, but I'd like your comments. These are a few photos from Huangshan from a few years back. Which, if any, work for you? Any constructive criticism?

Thanks,

Brian

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Huangshan
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:03:53 am »

I really like the first one - balance, composition, lighting, everything.  The second one by comparison seems off-balance to me - too heavily weighted on the right edge and nothing to offset it.  The third one looks like it has some potential - maybe different processing.  My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:44:30 am »

I agree with Mike that the first stands out as the best but I'm not convinced by the third.

Jeremy

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:27 am »

Yes, I agree with Mike and Jeremy that the first image has real potential.

Don't be shy to post images - nearly everyone will give constructive criticism.

A couple of images I posted attracted suggestions that led to substantial improvements and eventually stunning prints.

Regards

Tony Jay

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:19:16 am »

For me, the first one is the best. It combines both a spectacular landscape and dramatic weather conditions.

I would like to love the second one but as Mike wrote, the imbalance between the right and the left side of the image makes me uncomfortable. I've tried different crops but I'm left undecided.
Francois

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »

#1 and #3 work best for me. The colors are so muted you might want to consider doing a monochrome conversion.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:55:47 pm »

...The colors are so muted you might want to consider doing a monochrome conversion.

+1

... a nice conversion, Pop

popnfresh

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »

bdosserman

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:23:01 am »

Hi,
   Thanks everyone for your comments.
   Mike -- did you have anything in mind for how I might process the third one differently?
   Pop -- the B&W conversion is interesting. I can't remember now if I tried it at some point, but in general B&W isn't something I've played with much, and I strongly suspect that if I did try it, it didn't look as good as yours.
   For comparison, I tend to prefer them first, third, second, although it varies a bit from day to day. I agree on the problems with composition for the second -- I clearly remember getting back from the trip and starting to play with the files and being very disappointed that I couldn't find a really satisfactory crop for it. It starts to come into its own more at larger sizes, where your eye is responding less to the overall composition, and it's easier to get lost in a feeling of being there.
   Sadly, none of these files hold up very well at larger sizes, due to a combination of low-end camera, lenses, and probably careless technique. But since I'm upgrading equipment, I thought it would be good to get some critiques and see if I can simultaneous improve my photography.

Thanks again,

Brian

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

... Sadly, none of these files hold up very well at larger sizes...

Do not let that discourage you. One of the greatest photographers of similar subjects, Michael Kenna, rarely prints larger than 8x8 inches, although most of his images are shot with a Hasselblad (6x6 film). He thinks it makes them more "intimate".

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:42:02 am »

Brian, Somehow I passed over this during a couple busy days. #1 is a splendid shot, and Pop's rework brings out its beauty. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

bdosserman

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 02:25:05 pm »

Do not let that discourage you. One of the greatest photographers of similar subjects, Michael Kenna, rarely prints larger than 8x8 inches, although most of his images are shot with a Hasselblad (6x6 film). He thinks it makes them more "intimate".

Fair point. I don't mind having 1 and 3 at 8x12, but as I mentioned, 2 is definitely better at a larger size, and I suspect even at 8x12 they would have looked better with decent equipment.

Brian

bdosserman

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:25:29 pm »

Brian, Somehow I passed over this during a couple busy days. #1 is a splendid shot, and Pop's rework brings out its beauty. Bravo!

Thanks!

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up