Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting or Frraming large prints.  (Read 1286 times)

Onslow

Mounting or Frraming large prints.
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »

Morning All,

Apologies if this is a bit off topic for the forum but I thought this was the most appropriate one.

I'm starting to stitch some quite large panoramas. I did have a job for a 120"w x 44"h print. I tried finding someone able to frame or mount mount it where I live. No luck, too large. The capital city also didn't provide any luck. I've yet to search australia wide (where I live) but my question is, What mounting/framing options are there when large prints are involved. What is the largest size that can normally be handled by a good framer?

The print was eventually smaller due to space considerations to a 65"w x 24"h print. This is able to be done here where I live.
Cheers

Onslow

John Caldwell

Re: Mounting or Frraming large prints.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 07:51:13 pm »

I've moved away from frames altogether for large works, unless formality of the exhibition space truly calls for framing. Even then, Exhibition Glass appears to come in 40"x60" sheets, so there is that limitation. I personally and for idiosyncratic reasons, eschew plexiglass.

We mount large prints to 1/2" Gatorfoam and laminate the print with a luster material. The appearance is quite good. I do note that thicker papers may separate some at the face edge, and this may obligate use of a cap extrusion to hide the very edge of the print. This separation has only been an issue with Photo Rag Satin, in our hands, but I'm sure other papers will separate at the edge. On the other hand, when the print is on, say. Canson Baryta, the edges look quite clean once mounted and laminated.

While this may offend, quite deeply, the archivists - these are inkjet prints and I'll be probably dead before they look bad. The party displaying the print will like have lost interest in the work by the time the print has degenerated. Your experience may vary.

Gatorfoam is available in 60" x 120" inch sheets, I'm pretty sure, but I've not made a canvas this large.

John Caldwell

Onslow

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:33 pm »

John, Thank you for your time and information. I am now in the process of tracking down some of that large gatorfoam in OZ.  :)
Cheers

Onslow

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:45:24 pm »

Here's what I use - http://www.codamount.com/gatorfoam.htm

Not sure how feasible they are with overseas shipping, but I've used their products, including the gatorfoam since the mid 1990's. They're located on the west coast and east coast of the USA.

PS - You'll need to call for a price sheet. Also, here's their home page - http://www.codamount.com/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:47:16 pm by Michael H. Cothran »

enduser

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:01:46 am »

Mulford Plastics ( http://www.mulfordinternational.com/ ) used to stock and deliver Gator products.  Even if they no longer have that, amongst their huge range of boards there would probably be something suitable.  They are in most state capitals and Asia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up