Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying a new presentation method  (Read 1664 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Trying a new presentation method
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »

Hi all,

As someone commented on how they didn't like how I presented my work on the forum, when made to look as near as possible like the canvases I sell, I thought I would try a new version on an image taken just the other night, presented to look like a gallery mounted print.

I don't know if I will try to mount and sell images in this way, as it costs so much more and so the cost of the print would be that much more to the customer, but what do you think of it as a presentational tool if nothing else?

Dave

amolitor

Re: Trying a new presentation method
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »

Now it looks like a picture of a picture, which is really disconcerting. I expect the actual photograph to be substantially degraded by the process, but since of course it's not, the effect is rather weird.

As a framing and matting job, it's quite nice.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:19:06 pm »

Dave

I don't think that you actually need to do any of this stuff. Just the picture, on its own, would be absolutely fine.

By the way, the last time I was on the Isle of Skye (many years ago) we had ten days holiday and it rained every day except one (when we were in the north). So I have never actually seen the bloody Cuillins, or the Old Man of Storr, despite having cycled right past them  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:55:02 pm »

Dave

I don't think that you actually need to do any of this stuff. Just the picture, on its own, would be absolutely fine.

By the way, the last time I was on the Isle of Skye (many years ago) we had ten days holiday and it rained every day except one (when we were in the north). So I have never actually seen the bloody Cuillins, or the Old Man of Storr, despite having cycled right past them  ;)

John

Folks get killed up there, I believe; best stay on the flat!

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »

These pseudo-matted frames are always a shocker.

Surely amongst your peers a picture is just a picture - save the trapping for your punters.

The pic does, however, bring back memories of pints of the stuff for which the peaks are eponymous.

Cheers,

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »

Hi all,

As someone commented on how they didn't like how I presented my work on the forum, when made to look as near as possible like the canvases I sell, I thought I would try a new version on an image taken just the other night, presented to look like a gallery mounted print.

I don't know if I will try to mount and sell images in this way, as it costs so much more and so the cost of the print would be that much more to the customer, but what do you think of it as a presentational tool if nothing else?

Dave

I don't think you need that framing to post an image here. But I think it's a very attractive presentation. Why not give your customer a choice? If you make sure the framing is done professionally you should be able to recover that cost plus a markup. 100% of my gallery sales are ready-to-hang.

ch9sab

• Simon Byrne Photography - Landscape and travel
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 02:52:29 am »

get rid of the frame completely.

no frame or at worst a plain white border works best for me.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:51 pm »

OK, I agree, I will keep the borders etc for showiing to potential clients. So here it is without any kind of frame or presentational adornment - although I still feel the need to put my name and link on it just in case, but I am sure you will allow me the indulgence of this minor foible.

:)

Dave

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »

Dave

John

Hi John, yes I know what you mean, we can (and do) get all the seasons in a matter of hours up here sometimes.

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »

Hallelujah!*

*for no-frame presentation here

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 02:49:04 pm »

Hallelujah!*

*for no-frame presentation here

Fair doos Slobodan, you live and you learn as they say ??? and Slobodan, if you think it is a bad idea, then I know it is a bad idea - thanks for the kick up the derriere everybody - which again just goes to prove I suppose, that just because you can do something in PS, it does not mean you have to do it....

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up