Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D mk X: Vertical Grip  (Read 1736 times)

walter.sk

Canon 5D mk X: Vertical Grip
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:51:26 am »

I'm thinking of buying the 5Diii, and getting the vertical grip.  Does anybody have experience with 3rd party vertical grips for the 5D, 5Dii or 5Diii? There is a large difference in price, and while it shouldn't be rocket science to make a 3rd party version, how well do they work?  And would the usual L-Brackets (Kirk, Wimberley, RRS, etc.) work with them?

The Canon version for the 5Diii is about $350 at several sources, and if history predicts the future, there will be 3rd party versions at $100 or less.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Canon 5D mk X: Vertical Grip
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:03 pm »

The biggest difference I have seen with third party grips is the material.  Functionally they have been fine for me, some even better than OEM with better ergonomics.  But none have worked as well as an OEM on a tripod - they all flex.  Luckily I only need it for the actual extra power, I use it handheld.  But if you need it for tripod work go OEM.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »

T But none have worked as well as an OEM on a tripod - they all flex.  Luckily I only need it for the actual extra power, I use it handheld.  But if you need it for tripod work go OEM.
Thanks.  As much as I hate tripods, I use 'em whenever I can, so I would need the extra rigidity of the OEM grip.

Pingang

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:59:16 am »

I'm thinking of buying the 5Diii, and getting the vertical grip.  Does anybody have experience with 3rd party vertical grips for the 5D, 5Dii or 5Diii? There is a large difference in price, and while it shouldn't be rocket science to make a 3rd party version, how well do they work?  And would the usual L-Brackets (Kirk, Wimberley, RRS, etc.) work with them?

The Canon version for the 5Diii is about $350 at several sources, and if history predicts the future, there will be 3rd party versions at $100 or less.
Bring in China there are lots of choice, include the Canon ones. It is hard to justify, usually it is that if you don't consider budget then buy the Canon, if you have concern about budget, plenty of choices. I don't see significant difference between the Canon and after-market ones, and often the after-market ones offer some extra functions - to be competitive.  I don't use one because I like the compactness of 5DII/5DIII, but I have lots freinds use after-market V-grip and they all work well.

Pingang
Shanghai

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:07:34 pm »

I have lots freinds use after-market V-grip and they all work well.
Pingang
Shanghai
Thanks.  Do you have a link or a website for me to look at?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »

I prefer to remove the vertical grip for use on a tripod, and put it back on when shooting hand held. So I have the RRS L-bracket for the camera-only, which sort of forces the issue for me.

I just had too much flex even with the Canon grip, though I have not tried the grip for the 5D Mark III.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up