Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new to Lightroom, fluent in Photoshop/Bridge, workflow question  (Read 1361 times)

CBBN

• Christopher Bain

After more than a decade with Photoshop/Bridge (and Bridge's predecessors) I'd like to start using LR primarily for the DAM aspects.  So here's my two-part lack-of-understanding kind of question.  I have a zillion folders and sub-folders set-up like this:

ProjectName
     RAW
     TIFF
     JPEG
... where the all the renamed RAW files live, the processed (often layered) TIFFs live, and where the greatly reduced size JPEGs live.  When I have LR catalog the existing folders, do I just have it catalog the RAW folders, or the RAW and the TIFF folders?  And going forward, do I just catalog the RAW folders, and create the TIFFs from there?

This workflow question is what is stumping me, thus far...  Thanks for anyone's light, shed on this.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: new to Lightroom, fluent in Photoshop/Bridge, workflow question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 02:34:56 pm »

I’d have it catalog everything in that structure (why not)? Assuming you like that hierarchy. Now you don’t necessarily have to do this thanks to LR and smart collections. You could have them anywhere but in LR, you could see them stacked this way by using the correct criteria (Project Name plus Raw, Project name plus TIFF etc). I don’t see anything ‘wrong’ with your initial setup and if you are OK with it, KISS, import from current location and move on.

Here’s my take on all this. I don’t want to rely on LR to find stuff. I like to know on my hard drive where things are. It sounds like your structure would help you outside of LR so I’d keep it that way.

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Pete_G

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:06:35 pm »

Yeah, that's exactly my view - databases are great but they get corrupted and dump you in a mess. With a rational folder structure, you can still function. I also think the discipline of knowing your own file system is still important.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »

I think, though hardly an expert, that if your use of LR is primarily as DAM, and you don't intend to PP your images in LR, there might be better products for that?  Or, since you have an established, logical file system, why use LR at all?

I think "the trend" (if there is one) I see in watching MR and JS in the tutorials, is that the bulk of PP is being done in LR for its abilities, and those things not yet able to be done get a quick rount-trip to Photoshop.  A cogent arguement may be made for printing your tiffs in LR, since the print module is so brilliant, but other than that I don't see LR as "worth the trouble" for you given your preferred workflow and manual DAM structure.

Perhaps a better "first question" from me should have been, "What is it about LR that makes you want to move in that direction?"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:47:28 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:11:45 pm »

Yes, yes and yes(digitaldog, Pete,Rand)...

LR is not really a DAM. As recommended look elsewhere. BUT it does just about everything else for me well, I am finding it hard to just use ACRaw once used to the GUI of LR(perhaps Adobe can mirror ACRaw to be LR Develop tab? Miracle anyone?) There is a topic section Digital Asset Managment.
Maybe it can include DAM/Workflow management?

I'm in the midst of testing IDImage, Media Pro1.2, ACDSeePro5, (I have tested others and have ruled them out for one reason or other.

What is nice about LR is that it does take the thinking out. It holds your hand and makes it easy in the steps of ingesting files. And the keywording as well as the Collections tab are great, BUT, you really can't make it manage your content. Also very limited if you like having a catalog per client or keeping them lean. You have to open each to ingest multiple subjects from one card to each(close backup open ingest, repeat).  Without LR supporting a few other formats AND not having a Browser window it can update with, it is at best a false sense of security if you rely on it alone. Other DAMs will likely not read and know how things are managed. You can't get to the files in a logical manner remotely or from a netwrok. So these things are folder structure strengths.  As Digitaldog, I strongly agree with his comments.

Another major down side is that what is out of site is out of mind, and with an existing database, (you may have one small enough for 1, but I dont like more than 1K images per)..You forget about a lot of photos you wish you could browse through.

Bridge crashes on me regularly, and I avoid it.  My folders are setup mostly like yours for work. BUT, my family images I like the way LR takes them and reorganizes them by date. this works somewhat OK, so I do use it for family images in this manner. I thought to use it for stock imagery also, but have some issues.

If LR had a browser and supported other formats, I would deal with the multiple catalog import export hassles.0 The interface is very logical in my way of working and familiarity.

And as far as the other DAMs...I like ACDSee so far, and IDImager. ACDSee easy able yet limited on network and multiple license metadata sharing aspects. IDImager, very able, just a bit getting used to it, also thumbnails sometimes get corruct (MediaPro has this issue also, but much worse)..but  once these are OK, and I get a better handle of the Metadata controls(LR is easy) it maybe a winner...we will see.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:42:21 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up