Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod mounting NEX7  (Read 1963 times)

NigelC

Tripod mounting NEX7
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:29 am »

The 5D2 generally meets my requirements - I'm not attracted by the 5D3 but having relatively recently bought a few Zeiss ZE lenses I'm not into changing systems on the basis of one body generation.

The one 5D2 shortcoming that is a problem for me is shadow noise with subjects with a very wide range of brightness. I thought a great solution would be to get an Nex7 body with adaptor, which takes up very little space. However I wonder how secure you can get a (Arca style) QR on that v. narrow body with a lens up to 760gm plus weight of metabones adaptor?

NigelC

Re: Tripod mounting NEX7
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:21:18 am »

I should say it would be the relatively heavy Zeiss wide angles, like 21, which are the problem as they don't take a tripod ring.

I have a Benro PL60 QR plate which I bought for the GH2, (to be sold to contribute to nex7 cost) which may fit the Sony.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:34:22 am »

I should say it would be the relatively heavy Zeiss wide angles, like 21, which are the problem as they don't take a tripod ring.

I have a Benro PL60 QR plate which I bought for the GH2, (to be sold to contribute to nex7 cost) which may fit the Sony.
I use a quick release plate on my nex7. But a beter solution might be to get an nex-canon adapter, most of which (not all) have tripod stands built  into them (mine does).
Dave

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:07:26 am »

I have the Novoflex tripod mount with Arca style base which works on both the Nikon and Leica Novoflex adapters. It works better with the Nikon adapter because you can turn it where the long end of the foot extends toward the lens - with the Leica it will only work one way, which is not a bad thing because most Leica M lenses are fairly light. The longest lens I have used it with is the Nikon 180 2.8 ED AIS. It was okay, but I would hesitate to use it with something longer or heavier. I think Michael pointed out that flange damage to the Sony lens mount was a concern with heavier lenses. There is one problem with the Novoflex mount I don't like. They didn't design the mounting ring far enough away from the mount itself because you can't loosen the ring and turn it to portrait orientation. You have to remove the camera from the ring and then re-position it, easy with the Leicas as it will slide over the lens and adapter, but more difficult with the larger Nikon lenses. All things considered they could have done a better design job.

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:23:12 pm »

I use a quick release plate on my nex7. But a beter solution might be to get an nex-canon adapter, most of which (not all) have tripod stands built  into them (mine does).
Dave

Quite so! I should have looked more carefully at the description of the adaptor, which does have a tripod socket. Issue resolved!

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 02:23:51 am »

Another point: Sony says that Nex cameras don't need a cable release port. And doing bracketing 0.3 or 0.7 EV is enough for Sony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up