Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any chemists? - Need glue for wood-to-styrene for framing project  (Read 8814 times)

Michael H. Cothran

Need a glue that will bond a natural wood frame to a sheet of .080" styrene. I've tried a couple of construction type adhesives from Lowe's with no success, as they won't adhere to the styrene. I need a large volume, so I'd prefer something that comes in a caulking tube or a squeezable bottle with a small opening so that I can run a bead with it. No contact or epoxy cement, please.

FWIW - The samples of styrene I have on hand have Avery-type labels adhered to the back. I tried to pull one off. It's on for good. Whatever kind of glue this is would be perfect.

Thanks

jgbowerman

Re: Any chemists? - Need glue for wood-to-styrene for framing project
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:30 pm »

Michael, for bonding wood to Sintra, I use: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hlc/hlc108.htm

It works very well, but I have no idea how it would work with Styrene. I lightly sand the Sintra and then wipe with 70% isopropyl before applying the glue.

Best of luck, Greg

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:35:36 pm »

Polystyrene should bond with many glues including cheap types that are actually based on styrene dissolved in an acetate. The fast cyano-acrylate types should give a good bond if the wood is dense and its surface smooth. If the wood absorbs the glue too much you better use one of the one component polyurethane types, they are called construction glue here and used by carpenters-builders.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:09:25 pm »

This is what you want.  Keep in mind it's exceptionally strong and not meant to be "unglued."
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

LenR

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:34:14 pm »

That label was probably made out of SA Vinyl or polypropylene.  Both stick well to styrene.  Not sure if it sticks as well to unfinished wood.
Try some double sided hem tape or some other VHB Tape.
If your styrene is inside of the rabbit just install a backer board and proceed to close it up with brads as usual.
Good luck.

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »

Thanks for the responses so far.
Greg - I appreciate the link, but I need a lot of glue - a large amount of 16x24 wood frames going on the back of 24x32 styrene sheets. 2 oz doesn't sound like very much. Or is it??
Ernst - I've tried a few tubes of "construction" glue. It doesn't stick to the styrene at all.
Steve - Is all Gorilla glue the same? I bought a bottle this morning at Home Depot, and have a scrap piece of wood clamped down as I write. I'll know tomorrow if it works.
LenR - I'm not sure what SA vinyl is, but I'm pretty sure the labels are paper, with an adhesive backing. I could tear off a corner or so, but that was all. BTW - I also stuck a piece of adhesive backed velcro on the styrene. It's on for good too.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:13 pm »

Greg - I appreciate the link, but I need a lot of glue - a large amount of 16x24 wood frames going on the back of 24x32 styrene sheets. 2 oz doesn't sound like very much. Or is it??
Ernst - I've tried a few tubes of "construction" glue. It doesn't stick to the styrene at all.
Steve - Is all Gorilla glue the same? I bought a bottle this morning at Home Depot, and have a scrap piece of wood clamped down as I write. I'll know tomorrow if it works.
LenR - I'm not sure what SA vinyl is, but I'm pretty sure the labels are paper, with an adhesive backing. I could tear off a corner or so, but that was all. BTW - I also stuck a piece of adhesive backed velcro on the styrene. It's on for good too.
No, but the wood glue formulas are mostly the same and those are what you want.  The stuff is exceptionally strong and will stick to any surface.  Just don't plan on taking it apart.  Ever.  The joint will become stronger than the materials you're joining.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 03:32:34 am »

?

I wonder if that material is a styrene or whether you removed the polyethylene protection foil from its surface. The solvents that affect styrene chemically are, ethyl- and amylacetate (sweet smell) and chloroform. The last will also affect acrylate. If you have a PVC instead of styrene then plumber's PVC glue will work. Acrylate sheet is harder to bond, polyethylene or polypropylene even harder.

Stickers whether made from vinyls, paper or (eco)polyethylene-polypropylene rely on acrylate (dispersion) or latex glues, the latter usually sticks to more surfaces.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

jgbowerman

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:13 am »

Michael, 2oz goes a long ways, but what you might also consider making "spot welds" every, three, four, or five inches.

epatsellis

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »

silly idea, maybe, but I have used some universal flooring adhesive for larger projects, works like a charm. Basically roll it on with a 1/4" or foam roller (I thin it about 10% with distilled water), give it 10 mins or so to dry and carefully roll the print onto the substrate. About $26 a gallon at Menards (midwest regional home improvement center)

From what I understand miracle muck is pretty much similar, both performance and price wise.

lfeagan

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:29:31 pm »

3M has a variety of spray adhesives that work pretty well. I have used Super 77 to glue felt to wood and it has held up well to repeated movement. I recognize that felt is not styrene, but given its intended use in crafts, I wouldn't be too surprised if it worked fairly well, assuming both surfaces are relatively smooth and flat enough to get a large surface area of contact.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/SprayAdhesive/Product-Information/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00000000_assetType=MMM_Article&PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00000000_assetId=1114284633824&PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00000000_univid=1114284633824#7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00

They have other spray adhesives for a variety of specialized materials.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »

The verdict?

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:26:02 pm »

Listen to Ernst and also buy a good solvent mask.
Chloroform indeed. He He.

JMcD

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:52 pm »

Gorilla Glue foams as sets - bad idea. Try epoxy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up