Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokit Sharpener 2 not working in CS6 ?  (Read 4015 times)

MBMPhotography

• Blog and beyond on G+
Photokit Sharpener 2 not working in CS6 ?
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:37:19 am »

??? Am I the only one having this problem. I have a CS6 brand new just installed. I installed without any problems the PhotoKit Sharpner 2 and PhotoKit2. Serials entered from the emails but impossible to make them work whenever I start the PixelGenius Toolbox appears as usual but when I try to apply one of the original presets let's sat luminance sharpen 1 I end up with an error message saying just "could not complete the PixelGenius Toolbox command because of a program error"

Is there some fix ?
Thank you in advance
Sony A7rIII, A6500,

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Photokit Sharpener 2 not working in CS6 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »

Contact tech support.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

howardm

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:31:01 pm »

Are you sure you have the latest version?

This from PG's website.........

PixelGenius has been testing our version 2 products in Photoshop CS6. We have updated our products to be compatible with the public beta of Photoshop CS6, although, as a beta, we are not "officially" supporting our products in the public beta of CS6. You will need to download the most recent versions of our products; PhotoKit Color 2.2.1, PhotoKit Sharpeners 2.0.6 and PhotoKit 2.0.4 for compatibility in the public beta of Photoshop CS6. When CS6 ships, we may post new versions, but our testing has indicated the updated versions should work fine.

MBMPhotography

• Blog and beyond on G+
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:11:54 pm »

Indeed I am really sorry for this mess. I did not even know there was a new version... After installing the updated one I have no problem. Now I just j=have the two instances of them so I will try to uninstall them and install again. So simple :( shame on me  ::)
Sony A7rIII, A6500,

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 10:01:19 pm »

So simple :( shame on me  ::)

If I had a dollar for every time I asked a dumb question...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:53:44 pm »

Actually, the whole Photoshop CS6 Plug-ins folder situation is a bit of a cluster (you know what). Photoshop (correctly) decided to do something about plug-in management in CS6. They buried all the Photoshop plug-ins in hidden places and now have a simple single "Plug-ins" folder in the main Photoshop Folder. The problem is, Adobe didn't really explain this new "feature". A lot of people directed the additional plug-ins in the preferences to the previous CS5 or earlier main Plug-ins folder to get their 3rd party plug-ins (which causes massive problems of double built in plug-ins) or doesn't contain the most recent CS6 compatible versions. Or made the worse mistake of thinking they were missing all the CS5 and earlier plug-ins and copied additional copies into the CS6 Plug-ins folder–which breaks Photoshop CS6 pretty badly.

You do _NOT_ want to point Photoshop CS6 to previous plug-ins folders...what you _DO_ want to do for CS6 is download the most recent versions of 3rd party plug-ins and do a proper install from the real installer–not from a copied version of a plug-in. PG had to revamp our installer to be compatible with CS6's simple 'Plug-ins' folder found in CS6. So did everybody else.

Going forward, things will get better since starting with CS6, the Plug-ins Folder inside of the app folder is the correct place for 3rd party plug-ins to be installed. The preferences to set a separate plug-ins folder should pop a warning to users NOT to select a previous Photoshop's version of plug-ins because it will break Photoshop CS6+.

Bottom line, the best practice when migrating plug-ins is NOT to simply copy previous installs of 3rd party plug-ins into a new version of Photoshop but to download the most recent versions of the 3rd party installers and do a proper install. As long as the plug-ins are compatible with the newer version of Photoshop, all will be good.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 08:53:15 am »

Did Adobe issue documentation with CS6 advising people of all this? Fine to make such improvements to the logical placement of things, but users need to know in advance, especially, if as you point out, doing it the wrong way can have consequences beyond the inoperability of said plug-ins.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 01:39:16 pm »

Did Adobe issue documentation with CS6 advising people of all this?

Of course not...other than to post an obscure Tech Note to direct people who were having problems because they already moved plug-ins the wrong way. Oh, the internal beta testers got things explained to us because we sorta freaked out by not having any plug-ins is the Plug-ins folder...but that was like almost a year ago.

Nope, QE & Docs kinda dropped the ball on this one...
Pages: [1]   Go Up