Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corsica  (Read 5659 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Corsica
« on: May 20, 2012, 03:45:04 am »

I shall be spending a few days in Corsica in June. Any recommendations for interesting places to photograph would be received with gratitude.

Jeremy

Rob C

Re: Corsica
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:30:13 am »

I shall be spending a few days in Corsica in June. Any recommendations for interesting places to photograph would be received with gratitude.

Jeremy

Never been there, Jeremy, but I have been to the Costa Smeralda in Sardinia, and based upon that, I'd suggest going to the nearby southern tip of Corsica which I'd imagine must be pretty similar to the northern one of Sardinia which is fantastic.

I've got a couple of pics of the area on the website (below) and you can find them on the Sea gallery, images 38 and 42 of the 90 in the gallery. I'm no landscape shooter, and these Kodachromes were shot on a calendar recce to show the client the locations for the real deal later that year. I think they were shot in April of the year, so don't epect similar clear horizons in summer. My experience of the western/central Med is that it's great on clear, cold, sunny winter days, but that summer provides an almost perpetual haze that makes your lenses look third-rate if sharp horizons are your thing. Also in summer, blue skies don't get that blue - often more a greyish version where you could be forgiven for thinking it was winter, but for the intense heat. Winter, when dry, really is something beautifully else in this region, especially up in the mountains.

Enjoy your trip!

Rob C

Peter Mellis

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:42:40 pm »

I spent a day (off of a cruise ship) on Corsica in April, so can only give a quick impression. The populated seaside areas were attractive, but will almost certainly be wall to wall people come summer; I was there before everything opened up, so it was very quiet. The mountain areas are spectacular and sparsely populated. I think they were as high as nine thousand feet; very steep, with heavily wooded slopes up to a high alpine zone. I took a bus tour that went from the port at Ajaccio, up into the mountains to an area of granite cliffs that go down to sea, called Les Calanques. Some beautiful vistas but the roads that I was on were very narrow and windy, with no shoulder and some bus traffic; not many places to stop for pictures. Overall impression was a beautiful place with an interesting history; another place that I'd like to get back to, and stay awhile.

stingray

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:54 pm »

Where will you be based.  How will you travel.

Cap Corse peninsula  and Bastia city  in the North.
Bonifacio in the South West is a spectacular harbour (the stuff of Greek myths).
The railway journey from Bastia over the mountains or along the Northern Sea Coast are world famous journeys (check the timetables as a full return journey was not possible in a single day, but ok to go to mountain passes and back).
Central mountains are spectacular.
Loads of waterfalls, but you have to research the locations.
Spectacular walking island.  Loads of routes.
Beautiful seascapes and beaches within a short drive of the centre of the island (ie North, South, East or West).

Bring a copy of Lonely Planet before you arrive. Very difficult to get an English version when you are there. Spectacular walking island.  Loads of routes. See descriptions in Lonely Planet as a taster.
Need to rent a car for a few days if you want to really see the island.

I have stopped buying digital versions of Lonely Planet.  I now buy the paper version and use pens and markers liberally to highlight pages, paragraphs, maps, etc..

If you have a specific question I will try to answer.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:57:45 am »

I have not been there but a friend has. Corsics is a world class destination from beautiful villages, great seascapes and amazing moutain walking.

Regarding the latter, better to be well prepared because snow remains challenging late in the year in some areas and heat/lack of water quickly becomes a problem after. The GR20 is widely believed to be the toughest GR walking trail in Europe but also one of the most rewarding ones.

Finally, locals seem to like bombing summer houses from time to time, but that was already the case long before the word terrorist became a favorite, so it doesn't count. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:07:48 pm »

I have not been there but a friend has. Corsics is a world class destination from beautiful villages, great seascapes and amazing moutain walking.

Regarding the latter, better to be well prepared because snow remains challenging late in the year in some areas and heat/lack of water quickly becomes a problem after. The GR20 is widely believed to be the toughest GR walking trail in Europe but also one of the most rewarding ones.

Finally, locals seem to like bombing summer houses from time to time, but that was already the case long before the word terrorist became a favorite, so it doesn't count. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

In some minds, terrorist and tourist seem pretty damned interchangeable!

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:09:50 am »

Thanks, all. Bernard, your last sentence makes it sound like Wales (in the past, of course).

stingray:
I'll be staying in a beach resort about 20 miles south of Bastia, on the east coast (it's a family holiday). I've ordered a copy of the Lonely Planet guide. Amazon has a book called Walking in Corsica (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Corsica-Long-distance-Cicerone-International/dp/185284387X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c?tag=acleint06-21): have you come across it?

Waterfalls sound wonderful. Do you have any particular suggestions?

Jeremy

stingray

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:15:21 pm »

The Lonely Planet Book(LP) of Corsica I think is a must have for a holiday on this island. Well done for ordering.

When you get the book check out the index for Waterfalls at the back. Bridal Veils Falls (not to be confused with its US sibling) (on page 248 if same edition as mine) and Cascades D'Aitone at the end of 2.5 hour (out and back) walk.  I never made it to these falls, as the day I was in route I got caught in a substantial snow storm (Easter time of year...cannot remember the date).

Sailing into Bonifacio was (for me) an amazing experience. See the pictures of Bonifacio in the LP book.

I also have fond memories of a few very pleasant beers in the upper square in Porto Vecchio (East side). The harbour area is really for ferries...go up into the old town (one way system)..lots of nice restaurants.

Read up on the Corsican railway. It is famous and would make a fabulous family day trip.  It may be a good option for you to travel by car to Corte and then travel to Bastia or Ajjacio. The train station is a short walk from the centre of Corte but goes right into the centre of Bastia.  I never got to Ajaccio as that section of the line was closed while I was there. As I said earlier....check the return timetable to make sure you have time.

I would consider a family trip to some of the beaches on Cap Corse.  I never got down the East coast where you will be based, maybe the beaches are better there.

I will try to dig up a few images and post them later.

Enjoy.  Happy to try and answer any other questions.

Ps 1

I think Corsica is like a fab mini continent. The only problem for me (from Ireland) is getting there.

Ps 2. The Costa Smeralda and Islands of La Madelana is also a wonderful area.  I am fairly sure there is a ferry with a short hop to Sardinia. You could enjoy a French and Italian experience on the one trip.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:40:11 pm »

That's really helpful; thanks. I'm beginning to wish I were going for longer than a week!

Jeremy

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 02:26:56 am »

In some minds, terrorist and tourist seem pretty damned interchangeable!

Rob C

:)

Cheers,
Bernard

stingray

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 05:54:00 am »

Here are some images to get a sense of the place.   (first time to post imaghes...hope it works)

I have uploaded a few more to my Zenfolio site (http://mattobrien.zenfolio.com/    wip...migrating from pbase).

[PS.  If you are unfamiliar with navigating in Zenfolio..... Select a gallery (ie Corsica), click on a thumbnail...goes to larger view with descriptive meta data, click again...larger image...click again..back to smaller image, click on small thumbnails to the right to view other images.]

skeeterjohn

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:56 am »

My recommendation is the southwest and west coasts.  Also you'll find some rugged mountains and quaint villages in the south.  See my SmugMug account at skeeterstravelphotography.com  for photos and text.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up