Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I load iPF8300 with Pictorico OHP transparency film sheets or roll?  (Read 4363 times)

d_haygood

How do I load iPF8300 with Pictorico OHP transparency film sheets or roll?  Actually, any transparency film?  I get "Paper size not detected" unless I load with a slipsheet.

I've used 13x19 Pictorico Premium OHP (TPU100-13x19/20) and InkPress Transparency Film 7 mil (ITF131920).

I've also tried a roll of 17" film (looks/feels much like above) of unknown origin, believed to be Breathing Color.

None of these have a loading strip (a white band printed on the film, or a piece of white tape that can be removed after printing), so I tried adding a white tape strip to the sheets, edge and top.  They still won't load.

I contacted InkPress and didn't get a reply.  Pictorico/Mitsubishi wrote back and said "You should just be able to load it."

I have a local distributor that may be able to show me the genuine Canon products on Monday.  When I asked them, they said the Canon film has an edge strip.

BTW, the purpose is digital negatives.  Am I the only person that is doing (wants to do) digital negatives on a Canon iPF?  I can't find very many mentions on the web at all.  I can go back to my Epsons, but I'm trying to move on, to a system with less head clogging.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com

It's been a while, but I believe I had similar issues with my ipf8300. I used my ipf5100 instead and it worked fine.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

deanwork

I am very interested in doing that also and will try it sometime this week.

What happens with my Hp is that you need to put an edge strip of some kind in order for the sensor to recognize the edge of the material.

What HP and Canon do with their transparent film is to have a dense white strip that runs along the length of the roll attached to the inner side of the film.

The OPP film doesn't have that. What you need is some kind of opaque tape that can stay on the film while printing but easy enough to peel off after printing. It is possible even regular drafting tape will work.

The difficult thing is to linearize this stuff. How to do that on either the HPZ series or the Canon IPF I don't know.

I have a new Eye One spectro but have no idea how one would go about printing and measuring patches with it. It guess it is possible to start with the Canon film media setting with their ink limits and see how that works.  I've actually gotten good results with the HP doing that with their film but haven't tried it with OHP.

john
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:11:29 pm by deanwork »

Scott Martin

• Onsight

What HP and Canon do with their transparent film is to have a dense white strip that runs along the length of the roll attached to the inner side of the film. The OPP film doesn't have that.

Have you tried a sticky note on the back side? Something basic to get it's edge sensor to recognize the edge.

The difficult thing is to linearize this stuff. How to do that on either the HPZ series or the Canon IPF I don't know. I have a new Eye One spectro but have no idea how one would go about printing and measuring patches with it.

You can actually profile the process just like you would color inkjet printing. You can print a grayscale target, print it on your process (cyanotype, platinum, photogravure, etc) and measure that target in i1Profiler or ColorPort and drop that measurement onto Roy Harrington's free "QTR-Create-ICC" script to generate a profile. You can use this profile for soft proofing and actually print with it which generates a negative that prints with perfect tonality.

Here's a short article on using i1Profiler to measure grayscale targets:
http://www.on-sight.com/2012/04/11/using-i1profiler-for-qtr-grayscale-measurement-and-profiling/

And an article on using ColorPort to measure grayscale targets:
http://www.on-sight.com/2012/02/22/using-colorport-for-qtr-grayscale-and-alt-process-measurement-and-profiling/

Hope this is useful.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

nzera

Place a same-sized thin white sheet under the transparency film- no need for tape.  I've used this approach many times on the 8300.  FWIW transparency rolls work fine as is on the 8300 (it will accurately measure the roll width, but it won't do media optimization).

Ernst Dinkla

Or place a long white sticker on the printer bed where the media sensor normally measures the front edge of the paper. If it works more or less like a HP Z model. You will not get the image correctly placed on the film so there will be some media waste.

To fool the head carriage paper sensor
http://www.pigment-print.com/review/Z3200FirstPage_5.htm

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up