Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900/9900 or Epson printer repair questions? Other brands? May be.  (Read 11298 times)

LFPTECH

PM me questions. See Eric Gulbransen' thread for detail.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:54:55 pm by LFPTECH »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

Are you HAL?

;D

Oh, wow---just saw your post on Eric's thread.  Nice to have another resource for printer questions/issues.  It's like Eric and Steve are Woodward and Bernstein meeting with Deep Thoat----and now we get to participate....   ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:24:54 pm by kdphotography »

clic

• Jean-Christian Rostagni Official Site

Hal,

Thank you for inviting inquiries.  I have a burning question:

In the cases of head failures that have been discussed Eric's thread, are the defects to the printers actual “clogs” that must be physically removed in order to return the printer to full functionality, or are the misprints caused though some other type of problem that does not involve clogs?

Thanks,

LFPTECH

Someone ask a question about ink purging. Here is the answer

Ink purging method

1.   If you want to purge without taking printer apart, it is simple but very expensive.  I can order the cartridges for you.  You need 1 drain and 1 cleaning cartridge for each color. These cartridges are very expensive.  About $2000 a set. The procedure is very simple. Install the drain cartridge and drain all the ink in the system. Then install the cleaning cartridge and flush the ink system. Install the new ink cartridges.

2.   The other way is much cheaper but requires a lot of work. Take the head and damper apart and clean them with warm water or cleaning solution. Replace damper if needed. Use a syringe to draw and pump ink in and out from the both ends of the lines with warm water or cleaning solution. Replace the bad lines may be much easier.  

3.   Install 1 cleaning cartridge ($100) and suck the cleaning solution from the other end (right before the damper) with a syringe.  Leave cleaning solution sit in the tube overnight if necessary. Clean the damper and head with warm water or cleaning solution.

4.   This method is an untested method. I don’t have a printer to test on.  (I am looking for buy dead 9900 for testing and repair method.  I also try to modify the 9900 for repair and printing purpose. If anyone wants to sell the dead 9900, let me know. I can arrange carrier to pick up the printer anywhere within US). If anyone wants to try this method, risk is on you. Let me know if you success. Install an empty cartridge and use a syringe to pump and suck warm water or cleaning solution from the end of the tube (right before the damper) into the empty cartridge.  Clean the damper and head.
For all Epson printer repair question, please email lfptech@yahoo.com. Do not post here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:15:20 pm by LFPTECH »

LFPTECH

Myth of getting lowest price on ink, printer and media?

Myth #1
Epson authorized dealers do not make money by selling ink, media and printer. They sell almost at cost or below cost. They live on the monthly and quarterly rebate from Epson. There is a quota to meet every month and quarter. The more they sell pass the quota the bigger the rebate check they get. Sometimes they even sell below cost at the end of the month or quarter in order to get a bigger rebate check. BEST TIME TO BUY, END OF THE MONTH OR END OF THE QUARTER.

Myth #2
Most of the dealers do not stock printer, ink and media. There is no way for them to stock because there is no profit for them. They all draw inventory from the authorized distributors all over the country. They deliver the products directly from the distributors and customers can receive the products in 1-2 days. YOU DON”T NEED TO BUY FROM LOCAL VENDOR.

Myth #3
Customers pay no sales tax if your place of purchase is outside your state. Check with your accountant. Each vendor has a minimum order for free shipping for products. Some even have free lift gate charge for printer delivery. THEY DROPSHIP PRODUCTS TO YOU FROM THE NEAREST DISTRIBUTOR. LESS SHIPPING COST AND FASTER DELIVERY.

Myth #4
Vendors may provide free samples to try before you buy. They provide free consultation on pre and post sale info. THEY PROVIDE GOOD RIP AND SOFTWARE INFO. SOMETIMES THEY PROVIDE FREE SETUP AND INSTALLATION ON SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE.

Myth #5
Almost all vendors do not take trade in because there is no profit in the sale in the first place. But Epson requires them to have demo units in their offices for demo. Buy their demo units at discount. Want to trade-in your old printer? EMAIL ME AND I’LL SHOW YOU HOW TO MAXIMIZE THE SELLING PRICE WITH LITTLE EFFORT EVEN THE PRINTER IS NOT IN PERFECT CONDITION.

For info about these vendors, do not PM me here. Please email me lfptech@yahoo.com

Disclosure: I do not receive compensation from these vendors.  I sell all Epson parts. I sell Epson print heads under a very strict guideline. I offer 10% discount on all parts purchase for LULA members.

mfryd

Myth #3
Customers pay no sales tax if your place of purchase is outside your state. Check with your accountant. Each vendor has a minimum order for free shipping for products. Some even have free lift gate charge for printer delivery. THEY DROPSHIP PRODUCTS TO YOU FROM THE NEAREST DISTRIBUTOR. LESS SHIPPING COST AND FASTER DELIVERY.

Yes.  Check with your accountant.  Generally, you are required to pay sales tax for all purchases, whether in-state or out. 

When you purchase from a local vendor, they collect the sales tax on behalf of the state.

When you purchase from an out of state vendor, you are legally obligated to remit the sales tax directly to the state.

Individuals who purchase online frequently fail to pay the required sales tax, and seldom get caught.  Businesses are an entirely different matter.   If your business collects sales tax, then you are subject to random audits.  One of the things they look for is out of state purchases where you have not paid the sales tax.

Please do not take my word on this.  Please discuss this matter with your accountant so that you understand the specifics of the law in your state.

ozphoto

i was prepared to buy a 7900, not so sure now.

clic

This might duplicate what Eric posted on his thread , but here is what Hal sent me as causes of head issue:

Head problem
Bad head cause: 1. Bad ink, 2. Expired ink. 3. Bad/dirty cap/pump unit. 4. Bad/dirty flush box. 5. Bad/dirty head cleaner. 6. Bad/dirty damper. 7. Infrequent use of printer. 8. Temperature and humidity. 9. Wrong setting of the paper profile. 10. Paper suction is bad. 11. Back suck. 12. Air in head or ink tube. 13. Leaking at ink supply.  14. Bad ink cartridge.  15. Near the end of the roll paper especially the thick media (curve up). 16. Paper dust, dust and pet hair. 17. Third party or specialty ink. 18. Clean and place moist paper towel under the head. 19. Clean head outside the printer. 20. Short out the head when inserting the head cable. 21. Bad head cable.  2. Wrong ink color in other channel.

Ways to clean clog:

1.       Cleaning solution.   I tried many brands and most of them do not work.  Epson cleaning solution is better but do not work all the time. Use it at your own risk.  (It comes in big bottle and I can repack it in a smaller size and sell to you. It is good for minor or partial nozzle clog only. I would say 75% times work. Email me if you need some)
2.       Warm water. Do pretty good job. I don’t like other chemicals.
3.       Clean Flush box and cap unit frequently. Back suck is often found in clogged flush box and cap unit.
4.       Air leaking in ink cartridge, ink supply, ink tube, and damper introduce air bubbles creating drop out while printing. (use POWER CLEAN to eliminate the problem)
5.       Infrequent use. Do not use automatic nozzle check. Create color pattern for each color (say 1” square of each color). Print the pattern every other day. The main purpose is flush out the old ink sitting inside the print head and put fresh ink in it to protect the head from clogging. This method would not waste ink. If the pattern is not perfect, then perform head cleaning.
6.       Temperature and humidity. It is not that critical unless the printer is located in a bad environment.
7.       Wrong setting, paper suction and condition of the paper (curve up) may scratch and damage the print head.
8.       Dust problem: Don’t use can air. You’ll blow more problems into the printer. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust, pet hear and dirt.
9.       When cleaning head outside the printer, make sure the head plate would not touch anything. When cleaning the head with cleaning solution, make sure the electronic contacts do not immerse below the liquid surface.
10.   Check head cable for damage.
11.   Back suck or bad head because adjacent channels are open. Replace head

Head cleaning method:

1.       Pair cleaning – Most efficient use of ink.
2.       Power cleaning – Best way to remove air from the system. Clean nozzles drop off while printing.
3.       SS cleaning - Using strong built in ultrasonic element to break up pigment particles in the head nozzles.

Need parts, need cleaning solution or more question, Email  lfptech@yahoo.com

colinm

Myth #3

In addition to what's already been mentioned about the dubious safety of this one, this will not work (business or personal) in California due to the BoE's liberties with established commerce law. The distributor is considered the seller for purposes of taxation. If you're in California and it's drop-shipped, you will still be paying sales tax.
Colin

clic

Hal wants you to know:

Bacteria inside the ink. Bacteria grows in the ink especially if people use refillable ink cartridge and third party ink. Air in ink will grow bacteria. Mostly found in black and cyan. Solution: use hydrogen peroxide to flush the cartridge and ink line. Use this solution in damper and head?? Not really. It might damage the damper and head.

This problem usually would not happen in OEM Epson ink. This occur in leaking cartridge where air enters into the ink system. It happens a lot with refillable ink cartridge which has a small hole in the cartridge to let air in. It happened to me that after I replaced a new print head and did not clean out the line and cartridge with hydrogen peroxide, The print head clogged up within a few weeks because the bacteria grows back inside the ink system. I do not know is it a good idea to clean the damper and the print head with hydrogen peroxide. 

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

Bacteria in the ink?  This one makes my nose crinkle and I'm not sure how much credibility to lend to this statement.  How do you know there is bacteria in the ink?  Testing swabs?  Bad bacteria?  What is the effect of this bacteria?  Or is the problem really more just the errant effect(s) of air in the lines, from whatever reason?  Bacteria----really, Hal?

enduser

Presumably al this advice will be included in publicity material that potential buyers get hold of when deciding what printer to buy?  Not likely.

My view now is that these printers are a "Warranty Period Only" proposition.  You'll have to price production to suit a three year turnover of machines, or lease them.  Don't ever buy second hand.

Is this too harsh a view?

chaddro

Bacteria CAN grow in "ink". This is a known issue in the Tattoo industry where infections have been well documented and linked to contaminated stock.
Since Epson's K3 inks are water soluble, it's quite plausible that it could happen under the conditions given above. It would be interesting to get some input
from John Cone on this... if he's ever considered testing for it.

I would have never even considered it possible personally! One more factoid to go in the list... maybe ink can go bad?

LFPTECH

Tip of the day

If you are getting an error when you load a new ink cartridge, try updating your firmware. Epson has recently made some changes to the firmware that will make your printer a little less sensitive to ink cartridge errors. The current firmware, as of 3/12/2012, is “HN030B9.”

You can check the current firmware version in the panel -> Menu -> Printer Status -> Version

LFPTECH

Another tip of the day

I got a few members ask about decision of selling, buying or repairing the printer.

Here is the info to help you to make your decision on buying, selling or repairing and how to price your printer.  

The 40-60 rule:

It is the rule to set a fair price range for buyer and seller. It is also the rule for buying new or repairing the printer. This rule takes a neutral position to set a price that is fair to both seller and buyer. There are other factors not considered in the process that may affect the price.

The fair price is between 40% - 60% of the total replacement cost including taxes, shipping and installation. The price is also depends on condition, age, repair cost and parts availability.

For example:

I can get 9900 for $4200 (if you want the source, email me at lfptech@yahoo.com) including shipping and sales tax. (plus $200 free paper. I do not count this $200 free paper into the price)

Let apply the 40 - 60 rule. The fair price to both seller and buyer is between $1680 - $2520. For top shape condition, buyer will not pay more than $2520 for the printer. Let's say it takes $2000(head problem) to fix the printer to perfect condition. The selling price should be not more than $520($2520 - $2000 = $520)so that it is fair to both seller and buyer. (Don't forget the new printer has 1 year warranty. The used printer has no warranty except the repaired/refurbished printer has 0 - 90 days warranty).

If I have to pay $500 to ship the printer from Maine to California, I would at the most pay $20 for the printer assuming the problem is the print head only. I have to gamble that there is no other problem.

Take a step further. If you sell the printer to a dealer in local area and the dealer has to make a profit. There is no shipping cost. Let's say the fair profit is 10% of the sale. That mean you have to sell the printer for $270 to the dealer.

To buy new or repair?

Same rule apply.  If the repair cost is more than $2520, buy new one. If you repair the printer and you change your mind and buy a new printer, you can always recover the repair cost.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:55:47 pm by LFPTECH »

edt

• http://www.etimages.com

I have a 7900. Has been off for 10 days. Nozzle check indicated minor skips in Green (all other colors were perfect). I cleaned color pairs to clear the green. Ran another nozzle check to confirm all was ok--but result was that PK was 75% blocked. So I did a Normal Clean (all nozzles). Ran another Nozzle Check and PK was 100% blocked. Ran a Clean Pairs for the PK, and Nozzle Check shows PK channel still 100% blocked. Switched PK cartridges, no change-no improvement.

I assume this means air bubble somewhere? What should I do?
Ed

edt

Well.....after struggling for several hours today I just decided to go into Service Mode so I could check the Wiper Blade. While in service Mode I went into Menu/Cleaning and hit Arrow Down to cycle through the options just to refresh my memory what the options were. I was was pretty sure I did not hit Enter/OK button. But when a moment later I noticed the LCD said "Cleaning--Wait..." So I did one of the Service cleans--have no idea which one!

Went back to normal mode, did a Nozzle Check and it was perfect. So I'm finally printing the 16x20 that should have been printed 14 hrs ago. And a message says "Replace Maintenance Tank Soon." I think for every ML of ink on paper I have a ML in the maintenance tank. Love/hate is what it is!

edt

LPTech,

I just had a similar nozzle problem occur so let me describe and maybe you can shed some light. Here goes:

I'll say there are 2 categories of nozzle clogs on my 7900. Category 1 clogs are the common, run of the mill ones. There are a few gaps in the nozzle check--I do a Clean Pairs a time or two...at worst I do a Normal Clean, then another Nozzle check shows the gaps are gone and all is well......

By the way, I don't know if it might be related to the cause but each time I Clean I have to switch out 2-5 ink cartridges because the ones in the printer are low...

What I will call Category 2 "clogs" (I suspect this is not a clog but maybe air in the line us similar??) goes like this:  I do a nozzle check and about half of the PK or the LK is missing. So I Clean Pairs. Then I do a Nozzle Check to see if the problem is fixed....but this Nozzle Check shows that since doing the Cleaning now the ENTIRE PK or LK (whichever was the issue this particular time) is blank--nothing prints there at all--apparently doing the clean made it worse? (I've seen this happen several times, where there will be about half the nozzle pattern missing--then I Clean and do another Nozzle Check--only to find the Entire thing blank. Each time this happens I try several Clean Pairs and maybe a normal Clean these are a waste of time and ink--they pretty much do nothing with this Cat 2 issue. Last time I did a Clean in Mntce Mode and that solved it. Tonight I had another Cat 2 "clog" and did 2 Clean Pairs, one Normal Clean and a CL 1 in Mntce Mode and I still have nothing showing in the PK spot on the Nozzle Check. So I can't finish my print jobs.

What causes this.......and what is my best procedure to deal with it when it occurs? Solve this I can live with the annoying but not devastating Cat 1 clogs....
Ed

When this happened several weeks ago

edt

Update while I wait for the "correct answer:"
   My epson 7900 was not up to date so I just updated the firmware. With the updated firmware (many of you likely already knew this but it was news to me) the Menu now offers a "Clean Pairs Powerful" option in addition to the regular Clean Pairs. At the suggestion of an Epson customer svc person I did this Power-Clean Pairs one time and immediately printed a perfect nozzle check so I am printing as we speak. thank heavens.

I still wonder what causes what I described above as a "category 2 clog" where the bars get WORSE with a Clean rather than better and end up going away completely......

(also for those who might not know--WHEN UPDATING EPSON FIRMWARE I turned the printer On but the LFP Remote could not "acquire printer." Turns out that you need to actually load paper so it is Ready to accept Print command. Not good enough to simply be On, paper must be loaded and "Ready" must appear on the LCD)
Pages: [1]   Go Up