Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr 4 videos - geotagging  (Read 8181 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Lr 4 videos - geotagging
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »

Hi,

in the latest video-sequence about geotagging the images, Jeff and Michael are talking about external devices which create the logs.

There is in my h.o. a much better way to do so. Becasue many people carry an iPhone on photo-location, there is a great tool called 'Geotag Photos pro' by tappytaps.

When started, you give the future logfole the name you want it to have, synchronize the date and time of your camera very easily ( the program shows exactly the date and time as well as the time-zone to put into your camera), and then go out shooting. When returning to the Mac / PC, simply export the file from the iPhone and directly impirt it into Lr like Jeff demonstrates. The program directly creates the file in the required GPX ( global position exchange) format.

I've checked the functionality on several trips and found it to be absolutely great and worthwhile on iPhone 4.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Lr 4 videos - geotagging
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:11:05 am »

Mentioned this somewhere here before, I believe... I have an Android phone and use Google's 'My Tracks' software for the .gpx files.  Works relatively well, except the date information in the .gpx file itself is time-shifted forward 24 hours.  The phone has the right dae and the file is labeled with the right date, but the date within the file is +1.  I wrote the My Tracks people a couple of times but they never fixed it.  Fortunately LR can synch the times by -24 hours.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

mac_paolo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:49:36 am »

I use gps4cam on the iPad (it's iPhone only at the moment).
Excellent for what it has to do. Nice and simple UI.
You can export even on QR codes, so that you can geotag Raws too with the free proprietary companion Mac App ( don't remember the windows compatibility).

When returning ack to the Mac I simply send the track log via email and drag the attachment directly onto the lightroom track log import dialog and voila… tagged photos.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:40:14 pm »

Michael mentioned his Garmin where he could not find any option to save a tracklog. To my knowledge all Garmin devices save a tracklog in a folder called GPX. This is visible if you connect the Garmin to your computer via USB and it mounts as a HD. My Garmin has this folder and that's where I copied th GPX tracklog from for geotagging my pictures in the past.

Now I'm using also the iPhone app GPS4CAM and use the Mac application gps4cam to copy the files from the CF card to the HD of my MBP and during this process the pictures are geotagged. I take a photo of the iPhone screen with the encoding of the GPS positions and during the copy process gps4cam finds this picture and decodes the info and geotags the pictures. That's pretty neat. I use the iPhone as a navigation unit and I put the iPhone in the pocket if I walk in the landscape or where I'm photographing so I have the correct GPS coordinates. So I find the GPS4CAM app really nice. It saves also all the trips on the iPhone so it's possible to review them later.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

Geocorder on iPhone is free and also works flawless. Used it on some trips now.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:30:56 am »

I use gps4cam on the iPad (it's iPhone only at the moment).
Excellent for what it has to do. Nice and simple UI.
You can export even on QR codes, so that you can geotag Raws too with the free proprietary companion Mac App ( don't remember the windows compatibility).

When returning ack to the Mac I simply send the track log via email and drag the attachment directly onto the lightroom track log import dialog and voila… tagged photos.

Gps4cam has been on my Samsung Galaxy 8.9 tablet (Android OS) for a few months now, so it is not limited to iPhones only.  It works flawlessly with Lightroom 4, is super easy to use too.  I had a problem the first time I used it, and the support was very fast and efficient. If you download the free app for your windows pc, make sure you download the latest beta version.

mac_paolo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:55:41 am »

Gps4cam has been on my Samsung Galaxy 8.9 tablet (Android OS) for a few months now, so it is not limited to iPhones only.
iPhone only as opposite to Universal (= iPhone + iPad). My iPad has a far better GPS chip.
I don't use Android OS phones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up