Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A portrait photo by Rolleiflex 2.8F  (Read 14575 times)

xianql

Re: A portrait photo by Rolleiflex 2.8F
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 11:10:11 pm »

xianql My comment on your image and this is from no expert in portraits but just personal taste.
Some like square format but for me the square format offers one the luxury of cropping and here I think is where the image because of the way it was taken gives the cluttered look that others have already touched on.
So without any offence intended this is my take on the crop, the lamp in the background I have taken out roughly as it distracts.

Absolutely not offend, I can understand why people don't like distracts in foreground and background, that's really good suggestion.
Thanks for your work, I like it!
:)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 12:05:29 am »

French photographer Raymond Depardon shoots new french president with various cameras. The one from the Rolleiflex is chosen for the official portrait. Another victory for Rollei, the waist level finder and film.
Via The Online Photographer.
http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/portfolio/2012/06/04/les-coulisses-du-portrait-officiel-de-francois-hollande_1712189_823448.html

Eduardo

Pingang

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 04:50:06 am »

There are some photographs made to share with there's for certain messages, well, depends on how each one looks into the photographs.  And there are photographs that people took it to make sure the camera and lens work alright, and the person just happened to be there, either intentional or not.
The problem is if we are to spend a lot of time try to make sense of every image happening hundreds of million times a day, I would say LL is not such place.
I certainly don't own the forum, and after years of success management, perhaps MR can't say he own it as well, it is owned by all visitors now, so we need it give it a little more respect.

Pingang
Shanghai

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 08:36:26 am »

How can one disagree with such a masterly quote?
But hey, with digital 10000 images can be shot and reviewed in 3 months at most!
My advice to any colleague, pro or hobbyist: Ditch film. If you don't know how to use it yet, it will only hobble you. If you know how to use it, then of course you don't need advice, and even less criticism.

Edmund

I'll bite with some constructive criticism.

Bresson said your first 10,000 photographs are your worst photographs.  So get out there and shoot, and think, and evluate your work objectively.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 10:34:11 am »

I'm not offering any sage advice, images of my own, or criticism of others but I will say that I love my Rollei 2.8F.   This is a camera that is still quite capable of taking anyones best work.  In addition to the high quality images, I like it that I can still use the meter and that it has no batteries and is very light weight.   
Rolleiflex USA

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »

How can one disagree with such a masterly quote?
But hey, with digital 10000 images can be shot and reviewed in 3 months at most!
My advice to any colleague, pro or hobbyist: Ditch film. If you don't know how to use it yet, it will only hobble you. If you know how to use it, then of course you don't need advice, and even less criticism.

Edmund

I'm going to quote you on that Edmund!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 12:48:37 pm »

... And there are photographs that people took it to make sure the camera and lens work alright, and the person just happened to be there, either intentional or not... I certainly don't own the forum, and after years of success management, perhaps MR can't say he own it as well, it is owned by all visitors now, so we need it give it a little more respect...

+1

I love it!

fredjeang

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 01:52:09 pm »

xianql My comment on your image and this is from no expert in portraits but just personal taste.
Some like square format but for me the square format offers one the luxury of cropping and here I think is where the image because of the way it was taken gives the cluttered look that others have already touched on.
So without any offence intended this is my take on the crop, the lamp in the background I have taken out roughly as it distracts.

Come on Ced !

I know your pp intention is good and you saved the composition with what you had in the frame, but now the girl looks like a colorfull magenta candy sweet.  

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:56:45 pm by fredjeang »

eronald

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 02:10:53 pm »

Fred,

there are days when I'm not sure decriminalisation in Spain was a good thing  :P

Edmund

Come on Ced !

I know your pp intention is good and you saved the composition with what you had in the frame, but now the girl looks like a colorfull magenta candy sweet.  

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fredjeang

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 02:44:54 pm »

Fred,

there are days when I'm not sure decriminalisation in Spain was a good thing  :P

Edmund

I really hope this country will be rescued by Merkel.

You'll see what Europe technocrats will discover on the corruption level if they put their nose on the spanish politics affairs.

ced

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 06:18:53 pm »

Com'on Fred I just love colorful magenta candy sweets & can't get enough of them...

eronald

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 06:19:37 pm »

I really hope this country will be rescued by Merkel.

Fred,

You live surrounded by prettily pouting pretty women in pretty clothes, all brands of cameras and video equipment, cheap Rioja wine, and I presume unlimited entirely legal drugs, and you still think about politics? What is the matter with you?

Edmund

PS. You have been tied to Merkel's excessively strong currency, so the problems you have are partly caused by her ...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:22:50 pm by eronald »

fredjeang

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 07:06:14 pm »

Com'on Fred I just love colorful magenta candy sweets & can't get enough of them...

;D great repply Ced.
I confess, I like colorful magenta candy sweets too.

Edmund,

The pretty women in pretty clothes are 1m90 tall and wear 10cm minimum high-heels, and I'm 1,70...it gives you an idea of the very unbalanced (and unfair...) situation.
Even with platform boots like Prince, I'd be still short.
And I never involved myself personaly with work when it comes to women. It's a golden rule, apart from the fact that I don't really like tall women as for personal tastes.

All brand of cameras? mmm...it's been a while since I haven't touched a MF.

Legal drugs? Well, after 20 years of heavy smoking and now starting to have "problems" because of abuses of night life and tabacco, I hardly go out, doing sport, eating finally well, stopped completly alcohool and reduced drastically smoking and I'm closest to the monastery in my daily life to be honest than to the happy Madame Claude's bordel. Well, the ideal would be a decadent monastery now that I think about it.
I need to investigate this.

Cheers.

eronald

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »

Edmund,

The pretty women in pretty clothes are 1m90 tall and wear 10cm minimum high-heels, and I'm 1,70...it gives you an idea of the very unbalanced (and unfair...) situation.
Even with platform boots like Prince, I'd be still short.
And I never involved myself personaly with work when it comes to women. It's a golden rule, apart from the fact that I don't really like tall women as for personal tastes.

All brand of cameras? mmm...it's been a while since I haven't touched a MF.

Legal drugs? Well, after 20 years of heavy smoking and now starting to have "problems" because of abuses of night life and tabacco, I hardly go out, doing sport, eating finally well, stopped completly alcohool and reduced drastically smoking and I'm closest to the monastery in my daily life to be honest than to the happy Madame Claude's bordel. Well, the ideal would be a decadent monastery now that I think about it.
I need to investigate this.

Cheers.

Life is terrible, Fred.
Will you become a Xenobite, an Anchorite, or as I rather think a Sarabite?

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:01:45 pm by eronald »

fredjeang

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 08:11:59 pm »

Wonderful lecture Edmund, highly recommended.

It suits well with me indeed...

Man, it reminds me of the rules they gave us in fine arts.

But hey, don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my life and with my 1m70. (although...10cm more maybe wouldn't have been a luxury)

Ok, on this inspiring link I'm going to sleep.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 06:17:27 am »

Sorry not for me on several issues. Dirty glass wonky lampshade and cluttered background, the eyes could of benefitted from a highlight. Like someone else said a good shot of a moment for you, but nothing to get the world of portrait photography jumping up and down.
The comment about the equipment, the Rolleiflex is just about the perfect portrait camera. Silent, easy viewing, easy to use, great quality. I would much prefer to shoot portraits with my Rolleiflex 3.5f than any of my DSLR's or film cameras. The only inconvenience is film loading after 12 shots (24 if it takes 220).
I also have an Art deco Rolleicord I suspect if I used that for portraits there would be little chance of shooting anyone without a huge grin on their face.

Kevin.
Kevin.

ced

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 08:38:55 am »

Rolleiflex is just a jewel!  Check out if you don't already know this story behind her work with this as a sample using the said camera on the street.
Nobody had ever seen an image of hers till about 100 thousand negs turned up at a clearance sale.
Vivian Maier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbcl2MDtLp0&feature=fvst

Gel

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 09:38:37 am »

Nice shot but it needed work, it was at least a stop underexposed either at the point of capture or when being scanned.
I colour corrected a bit too but not as much as it needed.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 09:39:09 am »

Good street photography, actually captured interesting images. Unlike a lot of what I see now, which is just anything that happens to be in front of the camera when the button gets pressed.
I'm bias towards the Rolleiflex, as a camera I don't think it's been bettered.

Kevin.
Kevin.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 02:52:40 pm »

Yeah the Rolleiflex TLR is one of my favorite cameras for relaxing stuff like family hikes.  I dunno why I don't shoot it more for professional work.  
I've been resisting posting images but here's one from a hike last week with my son.  T-Max 400 pushed 1 stop. No edits, just " scanned" with my MFDB and a lightbox.

Rolleiflex USA
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up