Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A portrait photo by Rolleiflex 2.8F  (Read 14574 times)

xianql

A portrait photo by Rolleiflex 2.8F
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:27:08 pm »

Film: Kodak 160NC film.

Ben Rubinstein

Re: A portrait photo by Rolleiflex 2.8F
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:40:50 pm »

Just goes to show, it's not the equipment...  ???

xianql

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:15:01 pm »

I just want to hear some commends about the photo, maybe I should move it to somewhere...

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:22 pm »

That was a comment about the photo, and a very positive one.

This image is nicely seen and composed. The subject's expression and pose combine to make a very nice portrait.

I see you have the same issues with dust on 120 film scans as I always did.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »

That was a comment about the photo, and a very positive one...

Only if you disregard the emoticon, otherwise it is a rather negative one (and rightly so).

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »

Oh, yeah, I see that now. Just goes to show how much attention I'm paying when I read stuff. Heh. D'oh.

But I disagree, I like this portrait for the expression.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:09 pm »

Only if you disregard the emoticon, otherwise it is a rather negative one (and rightly so).
+1
David Watson ARPS

ondebanks

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:38 pm »

I just want to hear some commends about the photo, maybe I should move it to somewhere...

We use this thread for posting such examples of our "non-professional" work, and getting artistic feedback. Normally we only start a new thread about a particular photo if it illustrates a problem or technical issue.

Some people here are quite meanspirited. If you're not impressed with a photo, do the decent thing and either stay shtum or give a particular reason why it could be better - you know, constructive feedback.

Ray

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »

Well, the "meanspirited" remained "shtum" for a couple of days, along with anyone else. Which is a comment in itself. However, if someone insists...

TMARK

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11:59 am »

I'll bite with some constructive criticism.

Aside from the sweet expression, the picture doesn't work.  As a snap shot of a moment, personal to you, its probably great.  But . . .

Why doesn't the photo work?  Composition is confused, incomplete, cluttered.  The background is cluttered, the forground is cluttered, which is distracting to say the least.  There are no interesting forms in the photo, the form I want to see are her intertwined arms, without the empty and dirty glasses in the forground, without the tilted lampshade in the background.  The negative space of the windows is also distracting from, rather than balancing, the composition.  I look at her arms and the beauty of their form is cut off.

I would suggest you look at great photos, in a book, in a museum.  Look at mid century photographers using 6x6 format, like Avedon, Vivianne Mayer, and countless others.  Look at Bresson's street work.  Look at how they composed their frames, how uncluttered they are, how they allow the subject breathing room, how simple they are.  Then go shoot, and shoot, and shoot.

Bresson said your first 10,000 photographs are your worst photographs.  So get out there and shoot, and think, and evluate your work objectively.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:00:35 pm by TMARK »

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 06:19:06 pm »

Well, I agree with the above criticism, but wish to take the opposite position. Not to be contrary, but I think there is something in the image. Its not classically correct, in fact, in many ways its classically very awkward as has been noted above. Yet... there seems to be something about it, some presence. Its one of those images that breaks the rules and somehow engages the viewer as if it were just a snap, but something more.

This is not to say its a great picture, but rather there is a thread of something there in it, a line of work to be followed. Do I think the photog knew this and is sure of their path? No, not likely. But it would be interesting for that photog to go (as rec'd above) study the masters, study formal composition, and then come back to this and see if there is something he could pick up from it and build upon. 
Geoff

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »

I took my son to a park last week, and snapped a picture of him under a tree. The eyes came out nice :P

Some photography works precisely because it is infused with familiarity; your average shrink-wrapped model will never give you family photos, or the thrill of making your date hold her breath in a café.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:19:04 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:19:22 pm »

actually, only 'the' eye   ;)
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:13 pm »

actually, only 'the' eye   ;)

Yeah, I'll put the picture up on Facebook with the heading "My Sun" :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ced

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 05:32:54 am »

xianql My comment on your image and this is from no expert in portraits but just personal taste.
Some like square format but for me the square format offers one the luxury of cropping and here I think is where the image because of the way it was taken gives the cluttered look that others have already touched on.
So without any offence intended this is my take on the crop, the lamp in the background I have taken out roughly as it distracts.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:34:27 am by ced »

xianql

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 10:50:38 pm »

That was a comment about the photo, and a very positive one.

This image is nicely seen and composed. The subject's expression and pose combine to make a very nice portrait.

I see you have the same issues with dust on 120 film scans as I always did.

I just saw all your messages and comments, thank you guys!

Yes, I am lazy, since it take too long time if I turn on ICE dust removal, I used Epson V700.

xianql

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 10:54:10 pm »

We use this thread for posting such examples of our "non-professional" work, and getting artistic feedback. Normally we only start a new thread about a particular photo if it illustrates a problem or technical issue.

Some people here are quite meanspirited. If you're not impressed with a photo, do the decent thing and either stay shtum or give a particular reason why it could be better - you know, constructive feedback.

Ray

Thank you! All constructive feedback are appreciated!

xianql

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:55 pm »

I'll bite with some constructive criticism.

Aside from the sweet expression, the picture doesn't work.  As a snap shot of a moment, personal to you, its probably great.  But . . .

Why doesn't the photo work?  Composition is confused, incomplete, cluttered.  The background is cluttered, the forground is cluttered, which is distracting to say the least.  There are no interesting forms in the photo, the form I want to see are her intertwined arms, without the empty and dirty glasses in the forground, without the tilted lampshade in the background.  The negative space of the windows is also distracting from, rather than balancing, the composition.  I look at her arms and the beauty of their form is cut off.

I would suggest you look at great photos, in a book, in a museum.  Look at mid century photographers using 6x6 format, like Avedon, Vivianne Mayer, and countless others.  Look at Bresson's street work.  Look at how they composed their frames, how uncluttered they are, how they allow the subject breathing room, how simple they are.  Then go shoot, and shoot, and shoot.

Bresson said your first 10,000 photographs are your worst photographs.  So get out there and shoot, and think, and evluate your work objectively.

Hi TMARK,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!
I will pay more attention to foreground and background in my next portrait shoot!

xianql

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 11:03:20 pm »

Well, I agree with the above criticism, but wish to take the opposite position. Not to be contrary, but I think there is something in the image. Its not classically correct, in fact, in many ways its classically very awkward as has been noted above. Yet... there seems to be something about it, some presence. Its one of those images that breaks the rules and somehow engages the viewer as if it were just a snap, but something more.

This is not to say its a great picture, but rather there is a thread of something there in it, a line of work to be followed. Do I think the photog knew this and is sure of their path? No, not likely. But it would be interesting for that photog to go (as rec'd above) study the masters, study formal composition, and then come back to this and see if there is something he could pick up from it and build upon. 

Thank you Geoffreyg!

xianql

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 11:07:17 pm »

I took my son to a park last week, and snapped a picture of him under a tree. The eyes came out nice :P

Some photography works precisely because it is infused with familiarity; your average shrink-wrapped model will never give you family photos, or the thrill of making your date hold her breath in a café.

Edmund

Thanks! What a nice portrait of your son!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up