Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad with large reduction of prices  (Read 25134 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
Re: Hasselblad with large reduction of prices
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:35 am »

Seems to me that Hasselblad are now directly competing with the Nikon D4 and Canon 1Dx as these camera bodies are built to the same or similar professional standards as the H4D and now the price points for bodies is similar.  Prices for pro quality lenses are not that far apart either (viz Caon's new 24-70, Nikons 200 F2 and so on)  My D800E is a nice little camera but a lot of it is based on Nikon's consumer products line and it just does not have the build quality or durability of a Hasselblad product.   When Lloyds Chambers unpacked his new D800 the battery compartment cover fell off.  When I got mine I was extra careful as it is really pretty flimsy.

My investment in Hasselblad equipment is in the system and in particular the glass.  Their upgrade (aka customer loyalty) programme is reasonable on a 2-3 year cycle and like other posters I think that the actual colour and tonal quality of the Hasselblad files are more to my taste and IMO better than anything from Canon or Nikon at the present moment.

David Watson ARPS

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »

Is the H4d that pro build? I know our DF isn't close, on par with my original 5D I'd say and nothing like the 1DS3 I had. Is the 'blad weather sealed? Curious.

evgeny

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 01:13:50 pm »

Ben, H4D is not weather sealed.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »

If you think the 'blad's are so tough and well built, you're pretty easy to please. The D4/1Dx, and the S2 are the true build-standard. 

What blows me away is that 'blad still *make* an HD-31!?#$>???  That technology is so old it's collection social security.  Still gets the job done, but seriously?  Who buys this new?

The line about 'price misunderstanding' was also LMFAO-worthy.  That's right boys, people didn't know what your gear cost, so you lowered the price.  Do well in that first year symbolic logic course? a :D ;D :P

Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

bcooter

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 03:22:14 pm »

On the professional level, I've never understood why anyone was worried about a price reduction, or a change in pricing strategy after they bought a piece of equipment.

Heck I know how to pinpoint exactly when Apple will come out with a new powerbook . . . 3 weeks after I buy the current model.

The thing is even with Apple, that doesn't make what I bought less useful.

Same with cameras. 

I'm not a camera dealer or collector, I use them for work so what I buy I use, I keep with the plan of using it until it is worn out.  5,10 more megapixels, 1/5th more sensor size really doesn't change my mind.

Actually when the Phase IQ backs came out I was kind of jealous that finally a medium format back had an lcd you could see an image on, but then Phase (and I believe Hasselblad) have wi-fi to the I-pad.

This is better than any camera LCD I've ever used and since we tether most medium format projects anyway, having an Ipad by your side is a heck of a lot more exacting than always peering down to a 3" lcd, so I continued on with my two backs and never worried about it.

But even without the Ipad it doesn't make the cameras any less valuable to me than the day I purchased them, because they still work.

Maybe it's me, because I still use Contax and that company is gone, though with 4 bodies I've never worried about repairs and had few repairs anyway.

I also use a p21+ next to a p30+ and have never had a client or anyone for that matter think one looked more detailed than the other.  Actually given my choice I usually use the p21+ because it shoots faster and more responsive.

These were shot with two "old" cameras.  The swimmer a p21+ and Contax, the woman a Leica M-8.  Doesn't change a thing that their are new versions of these back and cameras, at least to me or the clients that did and continue to run these images.

Now if I was an amateur I'd never worry about this stuff, because you not shooting for anyone but yourself.    I don't understand pixel staring, but if seeing an eyelash on someone three blocks away turns you on, it's your money, have fun.

Then again if I was an amateur and not working with deadlines, tethering, client reviews,  I don't think I'd own as many digital cameras, except maybe for polaroids and somethings that digital works best for and I'd have a whole collection of film cameras, because there is a ton of really interesting film cameras from 35mm, 645, 6x7, 6x9, 4x5 etc. etc., that will change the look of your work and most film cameras are dirt cheap.

But if you dig digital, pro or amateur cool, use it, enjoy it and don't look back, because there is nothing your going to buy in the digital world that won't drop in price eventually.

And if I was contemplating a Hasselblad I'd look at this as good news, even if I owned one already because it's a better deal for a backup.

IMO

BC

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 03:31:57 pm »

If you think the 'blad's are so tough and well built, you're pretty easy to please. The D4/1Dx, and the S2 are the true build-standard.  

What blows me away is that 'blad still *make* an HD-31!?#$>???  That technology is so old it's collection social security.  Still gets the job done, but seriously?  Who buys this new?

The line about 'price misunderstanding' was also LMFAO-worthy.  That's right boys, people didn't know what your gear cost, so you lowered the price.  Do well in that first year symbolic logic course? a :D ;D :P

Here we go.  Did I say weather sealed?  No I didn't.  All I implied was that Hasselblad cameras are built to a durable maintainable standard just like the D4 and the D1X. Horses for courses or or should I say asses for courses.   ;D ;D
David Watson ARPS

LKaven

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »

BTW, the sentence

"Price misconception has long been the biggest barrier to ownership."

http://www.newsmailservice.com/mail.asp?07887560457615611hrdnna

is... priceless.

I am somewhat curious about the cost-of-use of these cameras as a function of the depreciation curve.  But it would be hard to compute, because the dealers are trying to keep the sale price as close to MSRP as possible, and so one doesn't know what the used market will look like.  Will the first year cost $2000 or $5000? 

At least with the Nikons, I know that most everyone will pay $3000 for the D800 body.  Very few people will pay less, and a few people will pay more.

But using the term "price misconception" is very weird in this context.  Whose misconception are we talking about?  Are we supposed to concede that we somehow "misunderstood" Hasselblad's old prices, and that they were really good prices?  Did Hasselblad misconceive their prices earlier, but now have them conceived correctly?  Or is it just some freakish newspeak?

design_freak

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 03:37:41 am »

Model H4D50 and H4D60 - prices returned to their original prices - as if someone had forgotten about it  ::)
Best regards,
DF

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 10:22:16 am »

If you think the 'blad's are so tough and well built, you're pretty easy to please.

I think 'blads are tough and well built, but I'm not easy to please.  Apparently NASA thought the same when they sent them to the moon.

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

michael

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 10:27:27 am »

I think 'blads are tough and well built, but I'm not easy to please.  Apparently NASA thought the same when they sent them to the moon.

Needless to say, those were mechanical C500EL models that went into space, not the current H, a totally different camera and lens system.

Michael
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:32:14 am by michael »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:21 am »

Needless to say, those were mechanical C500EL models that went into space, not the current H, a totally different camera and lens system.

Michael

Of course, but the original comment I was responding to was pretty dumb.  I don't think anyone who uses a modern H series camera regards them as exactly flimsy...
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 01:59:02 pm »

Michael

Funnily enough, although the NASA Hasselblads performed brilliantly in the extreme conditions they were subjected to on the surface of the moon, the thing they didn't have to cope with was rain and general wetness. Which, in fact, is the one thing that the old 500 series 'Blads are really useless at dealing with  ;)

In that respect, Cornwall on a soaking wet day is actually a sterner test than the vacuum of outer space . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

seanconboyphotogenics

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04:01 pm »

i have been shooting with h system in -25 in finland ,last week in middle east desert 42 in shade iam at brisbane airport after photo shoots  in the open cast mines then off to perth and  the western australia mines killing time reading LL while waiting for next flight.Also shot with the h cameras in snow in finland and in very heavy rain in the uk on over night bridge lifts etc i do not know how the camera is sealed but it works for me in many very difficult situations and weather.Hope this helps with a bit of feedback from somebody works the cameras hard and needs to keep his very demanding clients happy.regards

ziocan

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 03:05:26 am »

Those unexpected downpours in the studio are killers.
well, after you paid for the Hasselblad, you may had neglected the roof repairs...
but an assistant with an umbrella should always be at hand.

MrSmith

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 04:48:08 am »

those fujiblad cameras are not as robust as the real h/blad-zeiss. i know of somebody who had a zoom lens with loose elements after he flew with it, H/blads response was 'don't fly with it orientated towards the front/rear of the aircraft on takeoff as that can happen'
they feel cheap, and the plastic/rubber they use is not a patch on that used on pro-dslr's the battery grip plastic goes manky in a couple of months use, and the center circle/af point never lines up with the middle of the sensor.  £20k?  £5k for a floppy zoom. lol.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 06:59:32 pm »

While the Fujiblads are perfectly fine cameras, I have never found them to bear any physical resemblance to the indestructible and exceptional quality of the true film Hassies of old, which had that, "better put me in your will" build to them.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

jduncan

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 12:22:33 am »

Is't an interesting result.

I will love if they are preparing an update. Now we must remember that when Ventizz Capital acquired Hasselblad they did talk about expanding the target market, and pricing is a way of doing it.

The issue with a new system or an update to the exiting one  is sensors.

But this seem right, even if is just a reaction to the D800 (no pointers in that direction) it's great.

Seem like hasselblad is trying to adapt to the market.

Best regards,

James

english is not my first language, an I k

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »

IF you're a working pro and need the resolution, MF is worth it and pays for itself in 12-18 months. Done.

5DmkXX is not a 50MP and cramming 36MP into a FF35mm sensor just doesn't do the trick for ME and MY clients. you're results may vary...

BJL

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »

... cramming 36MP into a FF35mm sensor ...
Please explain why you use the DPReview-style pejorative "cramming" when the evidence very much suggests that pixel-for-pixel, the photosites of the D800(E) overall perform better than the photosites of the CCD in any DMF back.

Whatever happened to the good old days, when people welcomed new emulsions of higher resolution, instead of hurling insults at such options without, apparently, having even tried them? That included the welcome given to some new black-and-white film emulsions of higher resolution than the D800(E) sensor, so I think we can rule out the idea that 35mm lens systems cannot make use of this much resolution.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »

i welcomed the 5d, 5d2, Nion, Sony, but 22-24 is the limit. these are my real world working pro results, the H3D2 that I use yields better results for the way I work. I use the FF35 for anything applicable, but IMO, 22-24 is the limit -the canon and the Sony look good, the Nikon, meh.

I would gladly welcome some new film emulsions as I shoot a lot of 120 film as well.

remember DP review when it was independent and no one knew about? those were the days...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up