Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad with large reduction of prices  (Read 25140 times)

henrikfoto

Hasselblad with large reduction of prices
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:18:37 pm »

http://www.newsmailservice.com/mail.asp?07887560457615611hrdnna

Maybe they are about to finish a new model ??

Henrik

gazwas

Re: Hasselblad with large reduction of prices
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »

Yep, I got that email.

So in a panic reaction to the Nikon D800, HB is to slash prices across their camera range confirming everyone's suspicions that they were always overpriced in the first place while alienating current users who paid the inflated prices buy instantly devaluing their investment....... Classic!

I'm convinced this will make more disgruntled HB users jump ship than potential Nikon purchasers trade up. Let's hope not
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

henrikfoto

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »

Yes MF is allwaysa bad investment, but I feel pretty sure Hasselblad has something big coming.
I don't think they care much about Nikon. More likely they will try to reduce some of their inventory
before they show their new model??

Maybe a Hasselblad 80mp or a 80MS???

Henrik

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:46 pm »

I see this as more a cut to the chase.  I mean who pays list price anyhow?  Now you can just get closer to the final price without asking.
Rolleiflex USA

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:26:55 pm »

You´re an optimist Henrik. Even if they have something going to be released at Photokina, 4 months of dramatically reduced turnarounds would kill them.
(probably anyone...). This is the only chance to get some sales going. But I also fear this will as well drive the other customers who just have invested totally crazy.
actually this has already happened before, so the reactions are pretty well known. I also think the reply by Phase/Leaf will follow soon.

regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »

here the official link to the Hasselblad announcement:

http://www.hasselblad.com/price-reduction
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

design_freak

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:41:52 pm »

Hmmm ....  :)
Maybe they have new lens in place of HCD 35-90  ::) and they want to sell it off ...
And  they have next model with full frame chip
Who knows :)

Best regards,
DF

henrikfoto

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »

Yes, I might be an optimist, Stefan. Who knows?
Time will show I guess. As far as I understand Phase are selling very good.
I don't think the best 35mm cameras are much closer to the best MF now than 5 years ago.
But of course most cameras now can make very good A4 prints (or even larger).

But MF is a terrible investment if you follow all upgrades >:(

Let's see what Hasselblad are up to :-\
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:48:39 pm by henrikfoto »

gazwas

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:50:02 pm »

I see this as more a cut to the chase.  I mean who pays list price anyhow?  Now you can just get closer to the final price without asking.

If that is true (which I doubt) where does that leave their dealers and their margins......... none existent?
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

design_freak

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 05:08:17 pm »

Back to the roots? Zeiss lenses  ;)
Best regards,
DF

henrikfoto

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »

Back to the roots? Zeiss lenses  ;)

That would really be great! New Zeiss af lenses :) :)
That might really tempt a lot of the old Hasselblad-users back.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 05:56:59 pm »

As posted on getdpi...

Hassy hasn't released any new flagships in a while* and it's pretty normal for there to be some form of price cuts at a certain stage of product cycle. The sky is not falling.

Team Phase One, in a way recently effected a small price cut by releasing the Credo which provides much of the capability of an IQ.

Does the D800 factor into their pricing decisions? I'm sure it does. So does the IQ, the Credo, the Pentax 645, the overall economy, internal estimates for when their next generation widget will ship, currency fluctuations, inventory levels, anticipated profit on accessory items like lenses which usually experience a boost following a price drop on the main products, Photokina later this year, etc etc.

To attribute any company's pricing changes to any one news-event or product is really just silly.

*this is not meant as an inflammatory comment; every company operates on product cycles. I don't know exactly where Hasselblad is in theirs, but it is clearly well past the start of the product cycle.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:58:43 pm by Doug Peterson »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 01:36:08 am »

I think Hasselblad is doing some interesting things personally with sales and marketing.  But one comparison point really sticks out to me that maybe is relevant to this thread.   Besides price and the great image quality, the thing about a D800 is that a person can just buy it. No waiting for the dealer to return their calls or suffer through while they try to talk you into buying that piece of crap phamiya DF body instead of what you were asking for.   If you want a D800 you don't have to talk to anyone, you just buy it - couple clicks at the computer - done!   Is it so much less complicated than a MFDB?  Not! But nobody expects any hand holding and none is needed.   The blogs and forums have all the info a person needs if they don't want to read the manual.    Buying a MFDB should be this easy.  Why isn't it?

I hope that whatever Hasselblad comes up with next, they make it available in their on line store and even through places like Amazon just like the D800.   How much more could they cut from the price by selling direct?    No offense meant to the dealers on the forum but do you sometimes feel like the weak link in the MF chain? 

When I wanted to buy a CF back three years ago, I called a half dozen dealers since I didn't know where to start.  Only people from three of these returned my calls and only two bothered to prepare a quote, but I didn't get those for more than a week. While I was waiting I called Hasselblad to see if they had any used CF backs.  To my surprise they were the ones who were ready to get to work on helping me, and I was happy to find out I could buy a new one from them directly.  I saved about $10k that way too.  Service was never an issue. I could pick up the phone and call Hasselblad's tech guy anytime I wanted or e-mail.

Rolleiflex USA

Radu Arama

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:29 am »

Even if those cameras will all get successors (at current discounted prices) I find it very difficult to believe they will hold a candle to what Pentax has in store for next year. Of course Hasselblad retains a series of advantages (leaf shutters, much larger support and lease base worldwide, most likely more brand power/awareness in certain markets) but they will need at very least an one up shift to be competitive (e.g. the 50Mp camera for the price of the current H4D 40, the 60 Mp for the H4D 50, and so on).

Also the new Pentax D FA 90/2.8 will be an interesting lens to see since it will set the trend for the future Pentax primes (performance and quality vs. price) and even if it will be 2000 Euro (unlikely) the combined price of a 645D + 55/2.8 + 90/2.8 able to operate in all weather will still be 1000 Euro less than a H4D40+80mm

BR,
Radu

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 08:22:32 am »

The medium format business is currently like demolition derby: fun to watch but painful to be in.  Hassy's back design is so old it's becoming retro. They are staying alive only because of their name and install base.   The only reason I could see to presently buy-in would be because one's industry expects that pros of a certain calibre will show up with Hassy gear.  That's pretty much only the fashion biz, and even that is not at all a universal truth.  

Medium format has to create a reason to live, and a reason for us to buy. There was always an obvious one, but the D800 has pretty much taken that away. What remains are outrageously high lens prices, so-so autofocus and tethering capacity.

Personally, I chose to sell my Pentax 645D not because the D800E was better (frankly it's a tie, with the Pentax having better UI and a more usable aspect ratio and the Nikon better everything else),  but because Pentax priced their new 25mm lens at close to $5K.    Are you fricking kidding me? If that's a harbinger of future lens prices, b-bye.

Certainly a 60-80MP back would produce somewhat better files, with perfect technique, but at what price and for what final application?

Outside of the '1%-ers', whom Phase and Leica have tied up nicely, Hassy's only pitch is for photographers to 'be different' at a modest premium.  As a craft business, that's a scary financial proposition.  But good luck to them.

- N.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:34:52 pm by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:25 pm »

BTW, the sentence

"Price misconception has long been the biggest barrier to ownership."

http://www.newsmailservice.com/mail.asp?07887560457615611hrdnna

is... priceless.

Lacunapratum

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 04:54:33 pm »

Hi Radu,

You appear to have insights related to Pentax' plans.  Based on those, would you purchase the DA or the DF-A version of the 25mm ? 

Much appreciated.

Tom

bcooter

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »

I think Hasselblad is doing some interesting things personally with sales and marketing.  ..........snip

This is just a market correction and not really that big of a discount, not like 1/2 off or a fire sale.

In fact I have no idea what it takes to make a camera,  all of  medium format hasn't moved that much in technology in the last few years in regards to technology and price.

Some of that is good in the fact that what your using today really isn't obsolete, some not so good as you don't have multi point autofocus, high iso, and a lot of usability 35mm offers.

I'm not knocking medium format, still use it from time to time, but in regards to electronic development, all still cameras are almost in the stone age compared to everything else that is computer driven.

Sure a h4d 40 does a few things my P30 and Contax doesn't, but I'd view it as a rather have than must have proposition.

This image was shot during a film session with the Contax and p31 using continuous lighting and it worked fine on a 5 to 6 shot day and this with a 6 year old back and a 10 year old camera.

But it wouldn't be my camera of choice on a 20 session a day lifestyle shoot.

The h4d40 looks interesting to me because of skin tones and it goes a stop higher than my current medium format cameras, but it's not a must buy for me, it's a kinda would like to have it buy.  

Advertising and marketing has changed.   GAP just ran a national campaign, where the on camera talent is social bloggers that styled themselves.  6 years ago they would have been celebrity talent or high end models with a staff of stylists and probably larger crews and most definitely a few medium format cameras in the magliner.  Today it was probably 5d2's or 3's.

Anyway, in advertising  it's just a different world and will be for a while and for us when it comes time to buy, a $14,000 Scarlet, or Red 1 seems cheap when you start looking at medium format still cameras from any company.

Regardless, I don't see the Hasselblad offer as a omg move, it's just a discount to clear inventory.

Everybody does it.

Now will the Nikon D800 change things.  For me no, I don't see the point,  but for others that feel they must have 30 something megapixels and have a tight budget I guess it's worth it considering the $3,000 buy in is nothing in the world of professional cameras.

How the effects medium format I have no idea, but I do know the younger assistants I work with don't have $15,000 to spend on an entry level medium format camera and a few lenses, but can scratch up the money for the Nikon.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:25:06 pm by bcooter »

Radu Arama

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 07:53:26 pm »

Hello Tom,

If you need a ultra wide lens a.s.a.p. I would chose the DA variant, buy it from Europe or Far East and use the today's strength of the USD and the competition amongst European dealers  to gain probably close to 1K USD versus the American price (I am under the impression that you live in the USA, sorry if I am wrong). If the need is not very urgent I would wait until March - April of next year and buy the new ultra wide zoom close* both in focal length and f stop to the prime.

* "close" means of course not identical but it still starts with a 2 and the f stop with a 4.

Best regards,
Radu

Hi Radu,

You appear to have insights related to Pentax' plans.  Based on those, would you purchase the DA or the DF-A version of the 25mm ? 

Much appreciated.

Tom

MrSmith

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 04:34:22 am »

seems an odd move as it's hardly going to increase it's customer base by stealing sales from smaller formats and just means less revenue, maybe the smart move would be to make the product more 'luxury' with another Ferrari type tie-in with a cheap bit of metallic paint and faux carbon fibre and charge more money. ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up