Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: don't fall down that big hole in the ocean....  (Read 13415 times)

Abbye

don't fall down that big hole in the ocean....
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:33:40 am »

after my post a few weeks back that sparked so much debate, i figured it was time for a second try.

i'm in the middle of my road trip down the west coast!! had a chance to take this shot today, and was so happy with the result! after dreaming and dreaming of this location i was worried i wouldn't be able to get the shots i'd hoped, but in the end i was satisfied (and totally soaked!!! and my legs felt like rubber because i was so terrified of falling down the whole, and my many graduated filters were starting to get blurry with salt residue...)

c&c please, as i continue down the coast, i'd like to make sure i don't waste my limited time around big waves

thors well by hippy_henna, on Flickr

Rob C

Re: don't fall down that big hole in the ocean....
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:41:42 am »

abbye

the picture is nice very nice and will please those who shoot canyons but not those who shoot pale rocks and dry gulches a la western the post is written in text-speak or should that be text-write and calling upon the child in me i can see that your english is fine even though you choose to try and disguise the fact and so it become illegible and unintelligible to all but those under sixteen do you see the problem

;-)

rob c

shutterpup

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:45:36 am »

I have never cared for this treatment of water, not in waterfalls and not here for this hole. With a different way of treating the water, I'd like this. Have fun on the west coast. We just made that drive back in January; great photographic opportunities.

Abbye

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »

abbye

the picture is nice very nice and will please those who shoot canyons but not those who shoot pale rocks and dry gulches a la western the post is written in text-speak or should that be text-write and calling upon the child in me i can see that your english is fine even though you choose to try and disguise the fact and so it become illegible and unintelligible to all but those under sixteen do you see the problem

;-)

rob c

hahahahaha it took me like 20 minutes to figure out what you were trying to say, would you prefer that i use better grammar when posting?

Shutterpup, by treatment of the water do you mean the longer exposure?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:38 pm »

First off, may I suggest you return your camera or at least send it for repair, as every shot you posted so far has uneven horizon ;) Or, perhaps, you are a pilot? I ask because my step-father was one and he could not hang a horizontal picture on the wall if his life depended on it.

As for the rest, I like the lower 2/3 of the image. The upper 1/3 belongs to my list of cliches that annoy me visually (e.g., excessive star trails, smudged clouds, etc.). While I do not mind the milky-water effect in a number of cases, and often enjoy it, smudged clouds are a different story. I know one causes the other, but in this era of stitched shots, I would combine static-clouds top with a long-exposure bottom.

shutterpup

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »

hahahahaha it took me like 20 minutes to figure out what you were trying to say, would you prefer that i use better grammar when posting?

Shutterpup, by treatment of the water do you mean the longer exposure?

I'm referring to the sheeting, milky effect of the water that is created at slower shutter speeds.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 03:28:20 pm »

hahahahaha it took me like 20 minutes to figure out what you were trying to say, would you prefer that i use better grammar when posting?Shutterpup, by treatment of the water do you mean the longer exposure?

I'd settle for the proper use of capital letters. I'm sure you know how to make the most of them, both for your own dignity and the ease of reading that it will bestow upon your material. Leave the nonsense to the kids and pray that they actually do know better and that it isn't terminal negative affectation that will lead to the eventual atrophy of their language skills.

;-)

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:02:55 pm »

A little punctuation might help too.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »

Well, I'm sure Abbye didn't expect the English Inquisition!

For members of the Academie Anglais, here is grammatician forum:

http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/viewforum.php?f=199

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:03:39 am »

Compositionaly it works for me- looks overexposed though in the foreground.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 12:34:18 pm »

Lots of good elements here. The clouds look to have moved faster than the water, a little jarring.
Scott

Sheldon N

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 01:38:22 am »

Nice, a great location (I've shot there before too) and a good shot that could be better if you addressed it more carefully in post processing.

First, you need to balance the foreground exposure, the lower third needs to be darkened by almost a full stop. I'd reign in the highlights a bit too, it looks very contrasty - almost like you shot the foreground an hour or two earlier than you shot the sky. The light on the well looks more top heavy and direct sunlight, so if you want it to feel in sync with the background then you need to back off the contrast in the foreground and even out the exposure across the foreground, and balance the color temperature so that it looks more like the light source really is coming from the sun in the background (end of the day warm glow). 

The other thing I would so is to work on the background/sky so that it emphasizes the light coming between the clouds more. The rest of the sky can be a little darker and I'd dodge out the sunlight peeking between the clouds.

Great shot with lots of potential, keep at it!
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Farmer

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 02:46:42 am »

Lots of good elements here. The clouds look to have moved faster than the water, a little jarring.
Scott

I actually like this aspect of it, though I agree with others who have suggested darkening the foreground a little.  Of course, the horizon needs to be level, too (can make a very big difference).

I don't mind the water in that style at all - I actually like it in a lot of shots and in this case, as noted above, the fact that the clouds appear "faster" than the water is intriguing and interesting to me - as Scott says a little jarring, but that works for me in this shot.

As for the language?  Pffft, dropping capitals isn't my style but I can't say that it made it in anyway difficult to read, and neither was it in any way in "text-speak" unless you count the "c&c" shorthand.
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 04:53:53 am »

I actually like this aspect of it, though I agree with others who have suggested darkening the foreground a little.  Of course, the horizon needs to be level, too (can make a very big difference).

I don't mind the water in that style at all - I actually like it in a lot of shots and in this case, as noted above, the fact that the clouds appear "faster" than the water is intriguing and interesting to me - as Scott says a little jarring, but that works for me in this shot.

As for the language?  Pffft, dropping capitals isn't my style but I can't say that it made it in anyway difficult to read, and neither was it in any way in "text-speak" unless you count the "c&c" shorthand.

eats shoots leaves

Make sense of that, then, if you enjoy such things.

;-)

Rob C

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 07:15:33 am »

It's usually "eats shoots and leaves", or a variation "eats roots and leaves".  Yes, punctuation is important.  A funny one I saw recently was "stop clubbing, baby seals" (along with a little bit of Photoshop work which I'm sure you can imagine).

But the OP's piece was entirely readable and the lack of capitalisation did little to inhibit my ability to comprehend it.  Your reply, in an attempt to make some sort of unceccesary point, went to much further extremes than the OP and then you mislabelled it as "text-speak" which would have been more along the lines of, "rob r u 2 l33t r u a h4x00r, lol, wtf".

bibicul8r (invented long before texting)
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 08:50:48 am »

It's usually "eats shoots and leaves", or a variation "eats roots and leaves".  Yes, punctuation is important.  A funny one I saw recently was "stop clubbing, baby seals" (along with a little bit of Photoshop work which I'm sure you can imagine).

But the OP's piece was entirely readable and the lack of capitalisation did little to inhibit my ability to comprehend it.  Your reply, in an attempt to make some sort of unceccesary point, went to much further extremes than the OP and then you mislabelled it as "text-speak" which would have been more along the lines of, "rob r u 2 l33t r u a h4x00r, lol, wtf".

bibicul8r (invented long before texting)

To which I can only add:

1. glad to see you were paying close attention;

2. no idea what the line of code means. Absolutely no idea.

Must be an age thing. Most things turn out to be, in one way or another.

;-(

Rob C

degrub

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:09 am »

Bye Bye See You Later

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:04 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 12:51:48 pm »

... no idea what the line of code means. Absolutely no idea...

bibicul8r = bi bi c u l8r = bye bye see you later

rob r u 2 l33t r u a h4x00r = Rob, are you too elite, are you a hacker?

Of course, there is always something lost in translation ;)

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 02:57:19 pm »

bibicul8r = bi bi c u l8r = bye bye see you later

rob r u 2 l33t r u a h4x00r = Rob, are you too elite, are you a hacker?

Of course, there is always something lost in translation ;)

Now I understand, more than ever, the beauty of Standard English!

I simply can't make out how h4x400r translates into hacker! Hacker - moi, with my dislike/distrust/ignorance/fear of computers and my dyslexis fingers (just the fingers - I think) on the keyboard!

Rob C

LOL (Laughs out loud?)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up