Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed new camera choice because of west-canada trip  (Read 3095 times)

twdi

Help needed new camera choice because of west-canada trip
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:52:55 pm »

Next augustus i'm traveling again to west-canada and will mainly travel all over vancouver island, do the inside passage and end up in Hyder (AK). I currently have a Canon 30D, Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-vc) + 70-200F4IA + 1.4TCii. I travel in a group. Sleep in tents and do wildlife trips like 2 days on a sailboat looking for whales/orca's, bears, spend a few days on a desolate island, hike the backcountry like to salmon glacier.

For this reason I want to upgrade my gear but cannot deside between a canon 7D or go FF with a 5DmkII. (III is maybe to expensive)
Both has pro's and con's:

7D: Pro: 1.6 crop for reach, less expensive solution, cons: seen very undeclared noise images at internet even at lower ISO.

5DmkII:  Pro:  great IQ step up Cons: no crop so less reach for wildlife, slower AF but my 30D was ok in 2006 when I was there too. More expensive because I can't use the tamron. I think would buy a 24-105 too.

For both camera's I probable add a 300F4IS which give me also 420mm with the TC

So anyone experience with such a trip and can give me a good advise?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Help needed new camera choice because of west-canada trip
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:09:30 am »

I am unable to answer the core question, but will give you a generic advise.

Make sure to get the equipment you select at least one month before your departure, you will need those 4 weeks to get used to the particularities of the new equipment so that you don't run into any bad surprise during the important trip itself.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:24:32 am »

You've identified all the issues. The final decision is not an easy one, but much of it hangs on the total cost, and what that means to you.

The 7D body is available in the US online for around $1500. You'd probably want a spare battery, but all your lenses fit. I tested a 7D from CPS when it came out, and it's a very decent camera. High ISO noise was not that bad and could be controlled in raw processing. It handled well, and was very quick to shoot and focus.

The 5D2 with the 24-105 is closer to $2800, but much of that is the value of the excellent 24-105mm lens. I finally purchased one this winter when the prices kept dropping to the point where it made sense for me to buy one for personal use. I had the same lens issue you do, owning the Canon 17-55/2.8 EFS lens, so I needed the kit with the 24-105.

The 5D2 looks almost exactly like my 40D cameras, which is reasonable considering they came out around the same time. The 40Ds are nice, but I was never really in love with them. So I was expecting to find the 5D2 to be a nice camera, but not really love it -- especially after listening to years of complaints about the AF system. However, I am surprised to find that I really love the 5D2 and use it for almost all my shooting now, both at home and at work. The AF is reasonably quick and accurate (now that I have completed the micro adjustment on all my lenses.) The full frame viewfinder is wonderful, and the 21 megapixel files are smooth and beautiful. I for one am glad that I waited to buy this kit instead of getting a 7D, even though the cost was almost twice as much.

Not sure how to handle the long lens magnification effect of the 7D versus the 5D2. The 300/4 is an excellent lens and works well with the 1.4x TC. Not sure if that is long enough for wildlife, as it's not something I shoot. I can say that the files from the 5D2 crop very well -- even cropping away half the frame gives you more to work with than your 30D....

Good luck and have a great trip.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

nsnowlin

• http://www.stunowlinimaging.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:28:25 am »

I would agree with the two posters above.  That said I would want to know more about the 5D2's lack of weather sealing for what you are going to do.  If the issue is condensation there is not much you can do to correct it in the field.  If the 5D2 shuts down you will not be pleased.  From what I read the 7D is better for wetter environments and for that reason I would recommend that you look seriously at the 7D.

Stu

EgillBjarki

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:31:30 am »

The output is the most important factor. I have had the 60D (same sensor as 7D) and I still have the 5D Mark II.

I would have both cameras on me with different lenses on each body. There were much more keepers from the 5D, mainly the FF look compared to the smaller sensor 60D appealed to me.

From what I read in the forums, not every one is as focused on the results as I am. For some, the camera from the feel or built factor are more important than output.

Get the 5D Mark II, it does not have fast or accurate focus, but the files are very good with the right lenses!

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:50:13 am »

My suggestions are neither of the two bodies you mention would be the way to spend your money. Instead look atthe 5D MArk III as a 24x36mm body (and there are internal crop options) or the EOS 60D.

The improvements in autofocus alone mandate skipping over the 5D Mark II and I see no real world gain in going with the 7D over the 60D.

Noise is easily handled in Lightroom 4.1.rc2 , especially at low ISOs (100-800) and at mderately high ones as well. And of course there are other alternatives to dealing with noise.

More imperative is that you actually use these bodies Auto-Focus micro-adjustment feature to tune your camera body to the lenses you will use.

stever

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:21:30 pm »

i have also been using the 7D and 5D2 - the 7D is pretty much reserved for action (far superior autofocus and high framerate) and wildlife where i need the extra reach.  otherwise it's about 90% 5D2 for high ISO and superior image quality.  i'm comfortable making 17x25 prints (with a bit of cropping if necessary) from the 5D2 even with the 100-400 wide open at 400 - i hesitate to make 17x25 prints from the 7D with any lens (but it's possible).

if it's raining, both cameras get a raincoat and no problems

if you need large prints or really have to have the extra stop the you need a 5D2 (should be some used ones on the market), otherwise the 7D (which is much more rugged than the 60D)

twdi

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:51:11 pm »

Nice to read that again some people advise a 7D, others to go FF. haha.
No problem

But... pictures like these makes me doubts about a 7D. How could those pictures be so noisy?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fransall/5650712640/sizes/o/in/photostrea
http://www.pbase.com/dennis_huff/image/130277560/original
http://www.pbase.com/image/136222539

LenR

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »

"Cons: no crop so less reach for wildlife"

Hmmmm I didn't know you can't crop 5DII images!?

graeme

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:43 pm »

More imperative is that you actually use these bodies Auto-Focus micro-adjustment feature to tune your camera body to the lenses you will use.

Hi Ellis

I have a 60D and unless I'm being really dumb I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an Auto-Focus micro-adjustment feature. Not a problem for me as I use it as a Live - View manual focus tripod camera. I'd definitely have gone for the 7D if I wanted an outdoor / wildlife camera with great AF.

twdi

FWIW the 60D doesn't auto focus particulary reliably with my Sigma 24 -70 but seems fine with my Canon lenses - you might want to make sure that your Tamron lenses work OK if you choose this camera.

Graeme

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:24:25 am »

If you are at all familiar with Glenn Bartley's work (e.g. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=67050.0) then it would appear the 7D is no slouch. Mind you, his amazing images are the result of his excellent technique, but it does't appear that the 7D is a shortcoming.

If I were you, I'd go with the 7D unless there is some compelling reason to move your whole system to full frame (e.g. professional requirements; bragging rights and FF-envy aside ;))
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up