Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fighting City Hall  (Read 4355 times)

seamus finn

Fighting City Hall
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:19:54 am »

The man is protesting outside the Town Hall in Plaza St. Jaume, Barcelona. His message is bizarre. It seems to says: "Disobedient Attic. Without a Law to Enforce, They Don't Fix the Attic".

What does it mean? Is it a metaphor? What's in the briefcase?

He is being studiously ignored by a man in a suit but under observation by two uniformed representatives of the state. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Between the suited man and the protester, what could be interpreted as two giant paperclips adhere to the pillars – a symbol of bureaucracy the world over, as if underlining the futility of fighting City Hall.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:23:40 am by seamus finn »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Fighting City Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:27:00 am »

A great shot, Seamus. I started cracking up when I saw it in its small version and when I clicked on it and got a look at the complete thing I was holding my sides. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »

Between the suited man and the protester, what could be interpreted as two giant paperclips adhere to the pillars – a symbol of bureaucracy the world over, as if underlining the futility of fighting City Hall.

Strange how we sometimes pick up on the same vibe within a different tune; this was shot here in Spain (Mallorca) and those pesky
clips show themselves again: must be a Spanish thing, though yours might not even be willing to accept that they are, indeed, Spanish. Come to think of it, the ones I saw might not be local after all, but even if they are, I suppose they probably don't feel Spanish either.

You know, like the Welsh or the Scots re. English... ?

Rob C

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:22 pm »

You know, like the Welsh or the Scots re. English... ?

Rob C

I know very well, Rob - try carrying Irish history on your back in that context!

Re my protest guy above, my son who lives in Barcelona and to whom I am indebted for the translation, suggests: 'Possibly, he has a gripe against the people who live on the top floor of his building.'

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:12:13 pm »

Seamus

This is great, a fun shot. It is also quite surreal in an odd sort of way.

Nice one!

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »

I know very well, Rob - try carrying Irish history on your back in that context!Re my protest guy above, my son who lives in Barcelona and to whom I am indebted for the translation, suggests: 'Possibly, he has a gripe against the people who live on the top floor of his building.'

I know, but I was diplomatically trying to avoid that ground!

But then I don't feel I belong to anywhere in particular either, living here this long; I expect I'm closer to the paper clips than I had first imagined. For some years now I've believed myself to be in a sort of permanent state of 'in transit' from somewhere I don't know any longer to somewhere I've never yet been.

Maybe the stay-at-homes have it best.

;-)

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »

I hope they fix his "attic".

seamus finn

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »

I don't feel I belong to anywhere in particular either, living here this long

A citizen of the world - that's what you are.

WalterEG

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 05:38:32 pm »

I've believed myself to be in a sort of permanent state of 'in transit' from somewhere I don't know any longer to somewhere I've never yet been.

Isn't that just what life is?

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:18:09 pm »

Do you think we could start a site for the Lost Peoples of the World?

I suspect that quite a few folks I know would sign on straightaway. I wonder how many of them would be snappers - I'd guess the majority...

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 06:05:26 am »

Fabulous image.
This one could even go on to cult status.

Regards

Tony Jay

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:36:30 am »

Pulitzer price material:

The common man down to the ground because of mistakes made by suits at the bank. The latter protected by the law, but not facing the consequences, not facing his moral imperative, instead bargaining with the law, with a duality in the latter because they are themselves common men.

Eerie symbolism in the hand of the guard btw…
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

popnfresh

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 11:10:18 am »

Pulitzer price material:

The common man down to the ground because of mistakes made by suits at the bank. The latter protected by the law, but not facing the consequences, not facing his moral imperative, instead bargaining with the law, with a duality in the latter because they are themselves common men.

Eerie symbolism in the hand of the guard btw…

Wow, I'm amazed you got all of that from the photo. To me it looks like a guy who's a few beers short of a 6-pack and forgot to take his medication that day.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 11:21:05 am »

Exactly, Pop. That's one of the reasons it's so stunning. Nothing complicated about it, just a nut rattling around in his box.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

seamus finn

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »

Let's concentrate on the man's right to be there rather than what he's protesting about. Any way you look at it, he represents peaceful protest. That's his role in this image. Just because his text doesn't  read DON'T BAIL OUT THE BANKS or PUT AN END TO WALL STREET GREED or some such is irrelevant.

popnfresh

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »

Let's concentrate on the man's right to be there rather than what he's protesting about. Any way you look at it, he represents peaceful protest. That's his role in this image. Just because his text doesn't  read DON'T BAIL OUT THE BANKS or PUT AN END TO WALL STREET GREED or some such is irrelevant.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he doesn't have a right to be there. But are you sure he's even protesting?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:54:28 pm by popnfresh »

seamus finn

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 07:44:45 am »

But are you sure he's even protesting?

I don't know what he's doing.  Maybe he's hanging around there waiting for Godot.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:46:56 am by seamus finn »

popnfresh

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 10:18:58 am »

I don't know what he's doing.  Maybe he's hanging around there waiting for Godot.

In any case, I think it's a well composed street shot.

seamus finn

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 02:06:06 pm »

Perhaps his name is Mr. Krapp and he's indulging a taste for The Theatre of the Absurd.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »

Guess he's been hanging about for quite a long time, then.

Poor chap.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up