Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4880 minor print head clog, what can I do  (Read 10554 times)

BruceInfantino

Epson 4880 minor print head clog, what can I do
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:46:28 am »

When I do a nozzle check on my 4880 I get an 1/8" gap on one of the 8 lines on the light light black, this after I did several head cleanings and power cleanings. The Epson tech said it should be no problem the ink should fill in. I just wonder if this is going to get worse in time and was wondering if anyone has a procedure to correct this without having a tech come in ?

Thanks, Bruce

juicy

Re: Epson 4880 minor print head clog, what can I do
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21:11 am »

Hi,

Do not perform any more cleanings especially power cleaningas at this stage. Usually no more than two or three cleanings should be made consecutively and I suggest always making some prints between cleanings.

If you do not notice any banding or other artifacts when printing normal images, I would suggest you to continue printing. In most cases a small clog will sort itself in a couple of days and the sooner the more you print.
If there are visible problems in the prints, take some cheap paper and print ten to thirty ordinary photographs or maybe granger rainbows. Then print a nozzle check. If the problem persists, print some more. Repeat this the next day. Start and end the printing session with printing a nozzle check. If the same clog still persists after maybe four days of printing, make another attempt at ordinary cleaning.

Hope this helps.

I love and hate 4880. Love because it makes nice prints. Hate because it clogs all the time unless I print every single day. To this day according to my archived printed nozzle checks, exactly half of the ink that has gone through this machine has gone to waste ink tank. Something to think about unless printing is the main job or hobby.

Cheers,
J

ps. One of the most annoying things with Epson 4880 is the auto cleaning function. This produces roughly half of the clogs (or ink starvation or whatever causes the dropouts) in my machine. After making several perfect prints the machine suddenly starts the cleaning cycle and then there's a channel or two missing. Makes me crazy. Right now I'm staring yet another auto cleaning disaster. One conclusion: Epson 4880 is a piece of junk. And with this particular machine, room humidity makes no difference on clogging. Cleaning the wiper helps a bit but does not cure it. This machine is a large complicated waste ink tank. It would be so much easier to just buy some ink cassettes and throw them in the litter. Would at least save some time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:31:37 pm by juicy »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »

To this day according to my archived printed nozzle checks, exactly half of the ink that has gone through this machine has gone to waste ink tank. Something to think about unless printing is the main job or hobby.

No kidding.  My 4800 isn't that bad, but it's bad.  Thank goodness for bulk ink and a CIS, otherwise, I'd have to give up printing.

I see occasional missing segments in LLK and I just keep printing.  No harm no foul.

BruceInfantino

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:10:40 am »

Didn't get a notification for some reason, thanks for the responses and I'm prone to agree with you juicy....after I went thru all that now my magenta is getting sticky....I'm really going to have to get disiplined and maintain this weekly....

thx

scuba_d

• Atanas Petrov photography
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »

Cleaning the wiper helps a bit but does not cure it.

I am really sorry for your waste of ink and negative experience.
Luckily mine is not so bad.

Could you please explain a little bit more in details how you clean the wiper on the Epson 4880?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Atanas Petrov

juicy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:11:25 pm »

Hi,
Here's a link to a youtube video that shows the procedure.
DISCLAIMER: The video is not made by me. This procedure most likely voids any warranties in your printer thus proceed at your own risk.

When cleaning any parts inside the printer, be careful not to leave dust or fibers from cleaning products and also do not touch any parts that have grease on them.

Someone more clever than me would find out how to get the wiper outside its' parked position (probably in service mode?). Then it would be much easier to clean it thoroughly and possibly change it to a new one.

Cheers,
J

scuba_d

• Atanas Petrov photography
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:14:07 am »

Hello Juicy,

Thanks for the input.
I will try to figure out how to change the wiper as they are not as expensive as the ink. ;D

Thanks,
Pete
Atanas Petrov

rcapra@mac.com

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »

I love and hate 4880. Love because it makes nice prints. Hate because it clogs all the time unless I print every single day. To this day according to my archived printed nozzle checks, exactly half of the ink that has gone through this machine has gone to waste ink tank. Something to think about unless printing is the main job or hobby.

Cheers,
J

ps. One of the most annoying things with Epson 4880 is the auto cleaning function. This produces roughly half of the clogs (or ink starvation or whatever causes the dropouts) in my machine. After making several perfect prints the machine suddenly starts the cleaning cycle and then there's a channel or two missing. Makes me crazy. Right now I'm staring yet another auto cleaning disaster. One conclusion: Epson 4880 is a piece of junk. And with this particular machine, room humidity makes no difference on clogging. Cleaning the wiper helps a bit but does not cure it. This machine is a large complicated waste ink tank. It would be so much easier to just buy some ink cassettes and throw them in the litter. Would at least save some time.
[/quote]

J-
Your experiences with the Epson 4880 are the exact same as mine.  I have had the printer for about 3 years and the clogging is now to the point where I am considering giving it away.  I have wasted so much ink cleaning this machine it makes me want to cry.  I love the printer when it is working... great prints in both color and B&W with Epson's ABW printing.  And then, inevitably (just as you mention) it will decide to go into an automatic cleaning routine - whirling, grinding and clicking away fro a minute or so - and every single time it results in one or more channels partially or even sometimes completely blocked.  Like everyone else, I've gone into the service menu and cancelled the "auto cleaning" to no avail. I keep a narrow tray of distilled water sitting inside the printer anytime it is not printing, so humidity is never below 60%.  And it almost always prints just fine at start-up... untill one of the auto-clean routines and then it's a day or several days of trying to get it printing again.  I'm considering a new Epson 4900... I really need to have a printer in my studio for my work, but I need one that iI can actually depend on.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »

Your experiences with the Epson 4880 are the exact same as mine.  I have had the printer for about 3 years and the clogging is now to the point where I am considering giving it away.  I have wasted so much ink cleaning this machine it makes me want to cry.  I love the printer when it is working... great prints in both color and B&W with Epson's ABW printing.  And then, inevitably (just as you mention) it will decide to go into an automatic cleaning routine - whirling, grinding and clicking away fro a minute or so - and every single time it results in one or more channels partially or even sometimes completely blocked.  Like everyone else, I've gone into the service menu and cancelled the "auto cleaning" to no avail. I keep a narrow tray of distilled water sitting inside the printer anytime it is not printing, so humidity is never below 60%.  And it almost always prints just fine at start-up... untill one of the auto-clean routines and then it's a day or several days of trying to get it printing again.  I'm considering a new Epson 4900... I really need to have a printer in my studio for my work, but I need one that iI can actually depend on.

My experiences are the exact opposite. I had a 4880 for almost 3 years and used it lightly, with it sitting for 2-3 weeks sometimes without being used. I never had a serious clog, i.e., one that required the power cleaning cycle. I had clogs now and then, but running the "regular" cleaning (the one you start from the Printer Preferences dialog box) one or more times always fixed it.

Rand47

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:57:23 am »

My experiences are the exact opposite. I had a 4880 for almost 3 years and used it lightly, with it sitting for 2-3 weeks sometimes without being used. I never had a serious clog, i.e., one that required the power cleaning cycle. I had clogs now and then, but running the "regular" cleaning (the one you start from the Printer Preferences dialog box) one or more times always fixed it.

Mine also..  It will sit for days/ weeks.  What I always do on start up is run test print from the printer panel before making the first print.  Sometimes it takes a couple of iterations.  I've learned to ignore the panel's prompt to run a cleaning cycle if the test print nozzle check doesn't result in a final "clean/full" pattern - rather I just reinitiate a test print cycle.  It has always worked well for me.  I live in an extremely low humidity climate.
Rand Scott Adams

Mark F

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:13:26 pm »

I'm having the same problem with my 4880 and was about to post a question when I saw this thread. I'm having an issue only with the Vivid Light Magenta head and it seems that if I fail to print at least twice weekly I lose lines on the nozzle check print out for that ink. People I know who own the 3880 do not have this problem even if they do not print for weeks at a time. I was under the impression that except for roll paper capabilities the 4880 and 3880 were the same machines but I guess not.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up