Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grassi Lake  (Read 2123 times)

sdwilsonsct

Grassi Lake
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:45:33 am »

I got off the flatlands and into the Rockies this weekend.
Scott

Isaac

Re: Grassi Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:26:01 am »

To me, the turquoise greens in the top right (and other areas) are yucky - so I gave up on the picture, although I kind-of like the brown swirls in the bottom right.

So, in my case, the lack of interest is nothing to do with inverted reflections ;-)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 02:29:28 pm »

Doesn't work for me either, I'm afraid.

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:56:03 pm »

To me, the turquoise greens in the top right (and other areas) are yucky -

Ah! Fine art criticism I can understand! ;)
Though for my part I don't find these rich algal populations much yuckier that those cold, wet clouds that plague so many landscapes.
Thanks for your input, Isaac and Jeremy.
Scott

stpf8

• Stephen Penland Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 01:22:54 pm »

I think its a nice variation of the standard fare.  I don't see the bands so much as algae (and even if I did, "yucky" is not a term I would use to describe their appearance) as a couple of odd bands of clouds, somewhat out of position and out of color to truly be clouds, but they nevertheless have that appearance. It's an interesting take that probably only a photographer would see and appreciate.  Nicely done.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:42 pm »

But the colours are all wrong. Offensively (IMO) all wrong.

Making a b&w conversion might save it. It's worth a try, anyway.

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »

Thanks, Stephen. Our thinking is alike on this one. I tried many approaches to this, everything from vertical panoramas to the posted image, but this was the best of the lot in my mind.

Jeremy, I have been criticized before for my mountain water colour. It is true that the input/outputs are adjusted, but the processed image is not so far from the unprocessed, attached.

Scott

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:06:37 am »

Jeremy, I have been criticized before for my mountain water colour. It is true that the input/outputs are adjusted, but the processed image is not so far from the unprocessed, attached.

Scott, my criticism wasn't of your processing and I'm sorry if it appeared as if it was. I just think the gaudy colours, natural or not, ruin what could be an interesting shot. They drag my eye to the bands across the upper part of the image and it's difficult to force myself to look at the rest of it.

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:16 pm »

Jeremy,
I appreciate all the feedback, absolutely no apologies needed.
I tried a B&W version and a colour version with the green rocks dialled down, but didn't like them as much.
I remain curious about how to deal with unnaturally vivid natural colours. I suppose, like everything else, they need to be used thoughtfully to contribute to a composition and not detract from it. And, of course, tastes differ.
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up