Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge CS6 overwrites EXIF data and changes image orientation.  (Read 3706 times)

tingyat

• Rogan Coles Photo Archive

Hi,

I'm getting something here in Bridge CS6 that I didn't get in Bridge CS5 and that is, every time I apply a metadata change (Tools/Replace Metadata) to my images in Bridge CS6, the orientation of my vertical images changes - as in swinging to the horizontal. Not sure if this is expected behaviour or a bug in Bridge CS6?

I'm using a Canon 5D MkII for all my digital capture. In camera, I've set things up so that any images I shoot in the vertical remain that way in the camera's LCD display. While using Bridge CS5, this how the images appeared and how they remained - this even after I have applied any metadata changes as described above. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this - that or may be I'm missing something somewhere?

UPDATE: 120517:2308 - was "Bridge CS6 and image orientation".

Since posting the above item I have now discover that, while applying metadata changes via Tools/Replace Metadata, this process is now overwriting the date and time when the image was taken - this with a date and time nowhere related to the actual date and time the image was made. In fact, all the images in this batch have been overwritten with exactly the same date and time. 

In reviewing my workflow, I'm now suspecting that all this may have something to do with the XMP template that was being used to apply the metadata changes to this particular batch of images. Typically I create a template that contains all the generic metadata - as in basic image description, area/region specific keywords, author details, copyright notice, etc. I then apply this templated metadata to batches of images via Tools/Replace Metadata.

This issue may be arising out of the fact that this particular template was created in Bridge CS5. I have sort of assume that there would be or should be no issue using the same Bridge CS5 XMP templates with Bridge CS6. Obviously this is NOT the case.

Added to this, I am also asking why my EXIF data is now being over-written by Bridge CS6? I don't seem to recall there being any significant differences between the File Info XMP application in CS6 and that of CS5 or anything to suggest that I'm giving CS6 "permission" to "overwrite" my EXIF data.

These were never issues I had with Bridge CS5. This would seem to imply that changes have been made to the XMP/File Info feature in CS6. Can anyone please confirm this? 

Cheers - Rogan
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:43:34 am by tingyat »

tingyat

• Rogan Coles Photo Archive
Re: Bridge CS6 overwrites EXIF data and changes image orientation.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:15 pm »

hmm, nothing like replying to myself. Anyway, this is an update to the above.

Needless to say that, with further testing, seemed to have discovered a serious issue with the Tools/Replace Metadata feature in Bridge CS6.

On the face of it, attached are two images - one from Bridge CS5 and the other from Bridge CS6. Both feature the contents of the Camera Data tab. While this may mean nothing, it just goes to show that changes have been to the XMP application. Take note that the "Date Time" is missing in CS6. For all their wisdom and experience, Adobe now seems to have found the need to include my camera's serial number instead - very profound indeed.

That's part one. Part two - here's the challenge. In Bridge CS6, choose a folder with some images in it. Select an image. Right click that image and select File Info. In the XMP app, fill in all or any of the fields you deem necessary. To save all this info as template, go to the button between the Preferences and OK button and select Export. This should bring up a dialogue box enabling you to save an .xmp file. OK, this is the way I was doing it in Bridge CS5 and there, it worked fine for me.

OK, next step. In that folder in Bridge, select a bunch of images. On the menu bar, go to Tools. In the drop down menu, select Replace Metadata. Select the template created in the previous step AND, in theory, that should be it. BUT, it isn't. Take a closer look at the dates and times in the batch of images that were selected for the this purpose. In CD6 the date and times gets overwritten and each image in that batch will have or should now have exactly the same date and time. This was never the case in CS5.

As I have understood it, no application - save for EXIF editors - should be writing to or overwriting and of the EXIF data. In looking at all the stuff under the RAW Data tab of the XMP app, all the EXIF and XMP data has been modified on the affected images.

There are several implication here. This most serious is that all the metadata in my images is now screwed up. This in turn affects my sorting criteria, image search and archiving efforts. It also necessitates trashing all the affected images - this because I cannot "rescue" or retrieve the original data. The only way around this is going back to the original or backup image files.

The other implication here is this, it seems that images in CS6 CANNOT now be written to or updated in batches. And yes, I know the difference between Append and Replace. The point is this, how come I had this working in CS5 and where it now seems "broken" in CS6?

Seems to me that this is another example of, "if it ain't broken yet, don't fix it". The question begs, was this a "bug" in CS5 and has since been "fixed" in CS6 and where it is now an "undocumented feature" in CS6?

Would appreciate some feedback on this issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up