Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Increasing the visibility of the most selected image  (Read 2004 times)

MikeQ

Increasing the visibility of the most selected image
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »

Hello all, this is my first post on this wonderful site.

I just wanted to kick things off with a question. I often find when I have a number of images selected that the most selected image colour is so similar to the colour of the other selected images that I struggle to differentiate between them at quick glance, and this has proved to be a little bit of a problem on more than one occasion.

I was wondering if there was a way of customising the interface so that I could change the background colour of the most selected image to something where it would be easier to differentiate it from the other selected images more quickly and accurately? I have looked through the preferences and have not found such an option, but I thought I would ask the experts here on this forum just in case I have missed something.

Out of interest, does anybody else here feel the same way as I do about the choices of colour used to differentiate the most selected image from the other selected images? I think that most of Adobe's interface decisions in most of their applications are usually spot on, but this feels like a little bit of an oversight to me. Maybe it's just me, but I would appreciate having the option to customise this aspect of the interface.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Mike Q
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:52:21 pm by MikeQ »

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
Re: Increasing the visibility of the most selected image
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:08:03 am »

Yes I have many times found it hard to decide which was the most selected image. A different colour rather than a slightly lighter grey would be great!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:33:59 am »

Hello all, this is my first post on this wonderful site.

I just wanted to kick things off with a question. I often find when I have a number of images selected that the most selected image colour is so similar to the colour of the other selected images that I struggle to differentiate between them at quick glance, and this has proved to be a little bit of a problem on more than one occasion.

I was wondering if there was a way of customising the interface so that I could change the background colour of the most selected image to something where it would be easier to differentiate it from the other selected images more quickly and accurately? I have looked through the preferences and have not found such an option, but I thought I would ask the experts here on this forum just in case I have missed something.

Out of interest, does anybody else here feel the same way as I do about the choices of colour used to differentiate the most selected image from the other selected images? I think that most of Adobe's interface decisions in most of their applications are usually spot on, but this feels like a little bit of an oversight to me. Maybe it's just me, but I would appreciate having the option to customise this aspect of the interface.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Mike Q

Are you using a calibrated monitor and a recommend brightness from the calibration unit? Also have you checked using a brightness scale that you haven't set your monitor too bright? I have no problem seeing the most selected one among selected images.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:39:32 am »

I would 2nd the suggestion on calibrating - mine is quite obvious at quick glance.

MikeQ

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:54:56 am »

Thank you all for the replies.

While I don't currently have my display calibrated (I need to buy a calibrator!), I do have the brightness on my HP L2335 set to 68, so I don't think having the screen too bright and washed out is the problem (although I would definitely still benefit from calibrating the display). Whilst I may no longer have the most cutting edge display, this was a pretty respectable panel in its day, and I'm hoping to get a little more use out of it before upgrading to the Dell U2711 that I have my eye on.

Out of curiousity, for those who don't seem to have problems - are you viewing the selections in the grid view of the Library module or in the filmstrip at the bottom of the screen? I personally find the issue to be less pronounced in grid view, especially when I increase the thumbnail size; however, as I can often have 25-30 images visible within the filmstrip view whilst in the Develop module, that is when I tend to have the greatest number of problems, and also when the consequences of making a mistake are a little bit graver.

It's not that the most selected image is impossible to distinguish from the other images, it's just that it requires me to spend more time than I would like visually scanning the film strip and double-checking that the most selected image is the one that I actually think that it is. Something as simple as just being able to put a yellow border around the most selected image would go a long way toward making it instantly identifiable IMHO.

Maybe the problem would indeed diminish with a calibrated and/or more modern display, but in my current working environment, I really feel that the ability to make the most selected image more quickly and easily distinguishable from the rest of the selection would be a very welcome addition to the software.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:57:02 am by MikeQ »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »

You need to calibrate. Brightness is only a small part of the equation. Both grid and filmstrip are just fine.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:25:23 pm »

Out of curiousity, for those who don't seem to have problems - are you viewing the selections in the grid view of the Library module or in the filmstrip at the bottom of the screen? I personally find the issue to be less pronounced in grid view, especially when I increase the thumbnail size; however, as I can often have 25-30 images visible within the filmstrip view whilst in the Develop module, that is when I tend to have the greatest number of problems, and also when the consequences of making a mistake are a little bit graver.

It's not that the most selected image is impossible to distinguish from the other images, it's just that it requires me to spend more time than I would like visually scanning the film strip and double-checking that the most selected image is the one that I actually think that it is. Something as simple as just being able to put a yellow border around the most selected image would go a long way toward making it instantly identifiable IMHO.

I have no problem seeing the difference in the film strip either, but of course the smaller you make the film strip the harder it is to see.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:36 am »

I'm running a fully calibrated system here and I do agree that the differentiation of the most selected image in LR isn't as obvious as it could be.
I've ceratinly been caught out by this a few times when working quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up