Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple more from the IoS  (Read 1643 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
A couple more from the IoS
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:43:15 am »

Another couple of my recent images from the IoS.

Dave

amolitor

Re: A couple more from the IoS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:08 am »

Your B&B looks lovely, but the advert is depressingly silent on the subject of whisky. Does the tuition rate go up or down if I am pretty drunk all the time?

Your photos are very pretty, but I find the use of excessive borders and pasting writing and URLs all over them distracting. The shadowed ridgeline in the first one is a little too flat for my taste. I don't mind a flat shadow here and there, but the entire ridgeline is flat on my monitor, which makes it look rather like a cardboard cutout which as been pasted over the photoograph.

francois

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:22 am »

I like them both...
Francois

shutterpup

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:45:51 am »

Both very dramatic, and I like them.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:28 pm »

Your B&B looks lovely, but the advert is depressingly silent on the subject of whisky. Does the tuition rate go up or down if I am pretty drunk all the time?

Your photos are very pretty, but I find the use of excessive borders and pasting writing and URLs all over them distracting. The shadowed ridgeline in the first one is a little too flat for my taste. I don't mind a flat shadow here and there, but the entire ridgeline is flat on my monitor, which makes it look rather like a cardboard cutout which as been pasted over the photograph.

Hi Amolitor,

I present my images like this with a shadow and border, to look as much like the final canvas print as possible, which is how I currently present and sell all of my work, and on a standard hi-res colour calibrated monitor, they should look as near to the real thing as can be achieved at this time, is your monitor calibrated correctly and using its full hi-res capabilities?

The sig thing is simply to let people know who I am and where to find me should they wish to do so and also as a sort of relatively unobtrusive copyright notice type thing, without plastering the word "Copyright" all over my images - which I know I have on most of my images on my website, but which I do intend to change to this more subtle format as soon as I get the chance to go through them all.

Yes the lack of whiskey on my website is noticeable and as most people around these parts definitely do enjoy a wee dram or two, the level of your imbibing will have no impact on the cost, one way or the other.

all the best

Dave

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:45:42 pm »

Number two is very nice. But I'm not a big fan of landscapes with large swaths of featureless black in them. Otherwise, number one would also be very nice.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:25 pm »

Number two is very nice. But I'm not a big fan of landscapes with large swaths of featureless black in them. Otherwise, number one would also be very nice.

Hi Pop,

In a very limited and humble way, the first image is my lowly tribute to the work of Galen Rowell, but yes I agree and knew it would not be to everyones taste.

Dave

francois

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 05:23:16 am »

In a very limited and humble way, the first image is my lowly tribute to the work of Galen Rowell, but yes I agree and knew it would not be to everyones taste.

Dave

When I saw your photo, I immediately thought that it was similar, at least in style, to Galen Rowell's photos (see the cover of Galen Rowell: A Retrospective).
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:13:20 am »

When I saw your photo, I immediately thought that it was similar, at least in style, to Galen Rowell's photos (see the cover of Galen Rowell: A Retrospective).

Ah, so I got it reasonably near the mark then - and thanks.

Dave

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:14:31 am »

Your photos are very pretty.....

I will take that as a compliment - thanks.

Dave

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:00:35 am »

Yes they are both a bit reminiscent of Galen Rowell.
Nonetheless, the second image IMHO is much the better one.

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up