Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YouTube Interview with Ove Bengtson, Product Manager Hasselblad H System.  (Read 8666 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:20:49 pm by KLaban »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years

Ove is fine, a pity the person conducting the interview is such an ignorant and unnecessarily agressive toad.

John
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:38:03 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions

thanks for that link, that was interesting.

As for the content of his statements, the part on the lenses keeps some questions open.
E.G. are the levels of quality of the H Lenses "better than the Zeiss V versions" with or without the electronic corrections ?
And will the Zeiss versions be better if hasselblad would apply the same corrections to the V lenses ?
And in this connection I have to ask, as the corrections are not to be switched off with H-Cameras, what will happen
when they are used on the Leica S2 without the corrections that Hasselblad does in the Phocus software ?
He also said that there is a varying correction depending to the distance, probably from reading exif data of the lenses.

I ask myself if Leica knew this ? And if there was a cooperation on the Adapter for the S2 (which some were suspecting) why now this
interview at this date, that tell us the lenses will only work well on the Hasselblad H bodies ?.............. ::)

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses........ or intention ?

Very interesting !

regards
Stefan

PS.: The date of the Interview is exactly the 10th of may, same day the leica adapter was released............ what a synchronicity....... ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:54:14 am by Stefan.Steib »
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

The tone and style of questioning reminded me more of an interrogation than an interview. I'm not saying interviewers have to be friendly shills, but this strikes me as overly aggressive.

Is there some sort of context you can provide KLaban? There is no intro, credit credit screen, or description.

Is this you (KLaban) interviewing?

John R Smith

The tone and style of questioning reminded me more of an interrogation than an interview. I'm not saying interviewers have to be friendly shills, but this strikes me as overly aggressive.

Indeed. And the other thing they could have paid a little more attention to is room acoustics - the sound is dreadful. If you can't have a proper studio, at least use a well-furnished, well-damped room. Or go outdoors, if all else fails.

John
an

design_freak

This smells like some sort of provocation, do not be afraid to say it - very cheap
Best regards,
DF

BJL

Hmm, let me think, could it be the interviewer intentionally adopted a pseudo aggressive approach to mimic the Blad bashers?
Or maybe he is just an ignorant lens snob, or a live version of an internet troll (complete with his anonymity on the video). First confidently stating the inferiority of the new H system's Fujinon lenses to the old V Zeiss lenses (offering no evidence of course), then reacting to the contrary statement from Ove Bengtson by accusing him of having no evidence and merely expressing an opinion ... and finally showing his  ignorance on the subject by talking nonsense about the correction software applying sharpening to correct for lens softness.

But all with the rhetorical device of phrasing his claims and accusations as mere questions and reports of what others have said, so he can pretend that he did not say anything false.

henrikfoto

I think his questions are ok. He is a little too agressive, but no big deal.
The questions he asks are good. Everybody knows the Hasselblad Tilt/shift device
degrades the pictures. Why deny that??

And why have they waited all these years to aply digital corrections for the Zeiss-lenses?

Henrik
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:12:39 pm by henrikfoto »

Ben Rubinstein

and finally showing his  ignorance on the subject by talking nonsense about the correction software applying sharpening to correct for lens softness.

Isn't that exactly what Hasselblad is doing?

BJL

Isn't that exactly what Hasselblad is doing?
No: did you even bother to listen to the reply from Hasselblad, or read a bit? The software corrects for lens distortions, lateral chromatic aberrations and such: imperfections that any lens has, including the older Zeiss lens designs for the V series.

It is strange how the clear positive of providing a carefully customized way to improve on the inevitable imperfections of lenses and glass gets twisted into a negative.

henrikfoto

No: did you even bother to listen to the reply from Hasselblad, or read a bit? The software corrects for lens distortions, lateral chromatic aberrations and such: imperfections that any lens has, including the older Zeiss lens designs for the V series.

It is strange how the clear positive of providing a carefully customized way to improve on the inevitable imperfections of lenses and glass gets twisted into a negative.

The point was just that it is odd to compare a digitally corrected H lens to a non-corrected V-lens.
A think that is a good point?

Henrik

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions

Keith

You say you know who was doing this interview. Obviously it was a guy named "Nick" as Mr. Bengtson called him like this in the beginning. The accent of the guy was british I´d say.
I think it was somebody who knows Mr. Bengtson quite well and because of this was doing a very direct way of "interrogation" but with the full consent of Mr. Bengtson.
I believe they both know each other quite well and were working through a catalogue of questions that had been defined by both and there was no surprise whatsoever.
I would not be surprised if "Nick" is a colleague from Hasselblad.

:)

Greetings from Lindenberg
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

John R Smith

"Nick" is Australian. And on second thoughts, I think Stefan is right - it's a setup.

J
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:23:43 pm by John R Smith »
an

BJL

The point was just that it is odd to compare a digitally corrected H lens to a non-corrected V-lens.
Henrik, my reply which you quote was to someone reiterating the false idea that Hasselblad software is doing sharpening to compensate for softness of the lenses. I have no comment of the H vs V comparisons. except to suggest that if the bottom line is even better image quality than with the old lenses, I would not be bothered at all by using all tools now available, including software correction, to achieve those good results.

P. S. I am willing to go with the idea that the interviewer Nick was acting as a foil for the Hasselblad rep. Ove Bengtson. Unfortunately, I suspect that some people are so cynical (about today's Hasselblad at least) that they will reject what Bengtson says as marketing spin and continue to believe the canards lobbed by "Nick".

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com

Stefan, if one has to believe the litterature the Leica S lenses are optically so good that they do not really require digital post processing of defects. That is a difference with Hasselblad H lenses as many of those have been calculated in such a way that they need post processing to alleviate a number of optical issues - hence also the price difference between Hasselblad H and Leica S lenses. Actually, I have seen some comparisons of shots taken with a Leica S system with and without post processing and the difference was almost nil. So, it could mean that having the S adaptor is good enough.
Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust

Keith

You say you know who was doing this interview. Obviously it was a guy named "Nick" as Mr. Bengtson called him like this in the beginning. The accent of the guy was british I´d say.
I think it was somebody who knows Mr. Bengtson quite well and because of this was doing a very direct way of "interrogation" but with the full consent of Mr. Bengtson.
I believe they both know each other quite well and were working through a catalogue of questions that had been defined by both and there was no surprise whatsoever.
I would not be surprised if "Nick" is a colleague from Hasselblad.

:)

Greetings from Lindenberg
Stefan

Nick is not a Hasselblad employee. Obviously both had a good time doing this interview and probably a big laugh afterwards. Surely a stab at the aggressive idiotic crap HB has to put up with on various fora on a daily basis. I think a humoristic way of answering some questions and setting some misconceptions straight.

It is a shame, the interviewer did not ask why Hasselblad is not doing tests with Elephants and SUV's...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:34:18 am by Dustbak »

design_freak

Nick-T ???
Best regards,
DF

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com

The accent of the interviewer actually sounds more New Zealand 'ish' than Australian and
the Hass rep definitely,in my opinion, knows what to expect with respect to the questions

Mark

ondebanks

I would not be bothered at all by using all tools now available, including software correction, to achieve those good results.

Yeah, but my problem with that approach is that you are tied into using certain software packages to effect those corrections - and indeed, to create the correction metadata at all, you're tied into capturing with certain bodies/sensors and file formats, as the Leica S2 adapter question highlights.

I'd much prefer a traditional lens design that delivers "best compromise" or "balanced aberrations" imaging, rather than one which deliberately permits high levels of certain abberrations or distortion on the assumption that THE software will subsequently clear it all up.

No lens is perfect and there is a role for software in improving all of their images, but the best possible optical raw image should be the starting point.

Ray

t3hh

• Marek T3hh
    • Flickr
Fascinating piece of information
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 09:46:16 am »

I really liked the video. I'm not hasselblad user but it addressed some interesting problems in the ecosystem of medium format photography. It's refreshing to see two photo experts talking about digital photography without focusing on sensors and megapixels. It's fascinating to think about the turn towards fuji lenses as for me this is one of the most innovative lens developers in our times (no offense zeiss) that has lens portfolio that consists lenses for large format cameras, medium format slr AND rangefinder (645,660,670,680,690), 35mm slr, digital apsc (with and without mirror) and compact cameras.

Other interesting fenomen mentioned was digital post processing that is build in to the modern cameras. This is something that is happening one or other way in every digital format and development of the sensors is happening together with the development of the digital processing power of cameras. Every digital body is a small computer these days. Every picture that comes "right from the camera" today is a combination of the environment (object), our skills, the quality of lens/cameras and the digital post processing. It's almost ironic that with every digital camera that I use has a growing set of functions that I have to disable from the start because there are too many things that camera is doing for me (and without asking). For me it makes more and more appealing to shoot film and set everything manually.

I did enjoy the demonstration of camera body and where something is made in. It was hilarious because thats the reality of many brand-camera users: most important thing in their photography is the fact where their hassy or leica is made in.

It's funny that most of the comments here are about the aggressive style of the interview. Why it's so important? Many discussions in this forum are way more aggressive then this. Instead of appreciating the content you criticize the author for it's style? Not the smartest thing to do in my scale. But then again, it's just me. I liked it and pleas post more things like this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up