Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Road to Toroweap  (Read 19081 times)

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Road to Toroweap
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

Rescheduled our trip to Toroweap for the middle of September.  Worked out well, as we won 2 permits for Coyote Buttes at the same time!  There were over 450 people who had applied, so I feel lucky beyond belief.  I will report back after the trip...

Scott O.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:08 pm »

The further you go on a lousy dirt road the fewer the number of people and associated problems. Anyhow, did the road yesterday. Other comments in this thread are pretty accurate. The first half is as fast as you want it to be. The closer to the rim you get the worse the road, particularily after the BLM residence. The last 3 miles is very slow with a couple of ledges. 4x4 is nice but probably not absolutely necessary if you know what you are doing, but a high clearance vehicle ia a MUST. I have a Tacoma truck (4x4) with 1" larger wheels and tires and had no issues at all. Great spot with an unforgetable view. Wish I could have been there for sunrise.

francois

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 02:46:07 am »

Thanks for reporting. It's always interesting to have recent and first-hand info.
Francois

Scott O.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 09:50:26 am »

One thing that I forgot to mention...both ledges are very close to the rim. It is possible to park and walk a hundred yards, missing the worst of the road. Still need high clearance though.

Colorado David

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 12:48:40 pm »

I once had an assignment to photograph a sunrise from the top of a grain elevator and to include the head house with the name of the town and the co-op.  When I climbed out of the head house with a guy from the elevator, he told me to wait there while he checked the wind currents.  I did as I was told and he began to inch his way out towards the edge of the elevator.  He stopped and told me if I got any closer to the edge than where he was standing the wind currents would suck me off the edge.  Again, I did as I was told.  Are the ledges you refer to, the type that give you that feeling?

Scott O.

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 02:02:14 pm »

These particular ledges are in the road, rocky uneven stairstep, 8-10" in height. The ledge you refer to is the edge of the Grand Canyon, about 3,000'. Doubt if you will get sucked off (sounds like he was messin' with you). Only get as close as you are comfortable!

framah

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 09:32:38 am »

For some weird reason, when standing at the edge of a huge drop off, the body wants to lean itself over the edge. Funny, because if you stand on the edge of a curb, nothing happens, but if you stand on the edge of the GRand Canyon, you just want to fall over the edge!!

I got that feeling when I first tried to get my shot there. I quickly backed up and laid down with my head and arms over the edge so my wide angle lens could get all of the shot.

...and so you know, a high clearance vehicle isn't a must have but would make the trip easier.  I took a a Ford Mustang rental car to the edge and back with no problem. You just have to be aware of what you are trying to get  the car over, but it CAN be done.

Roll the windows down and listen for the car scraping and back up and try again.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Colorado David

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »

That is a strange sensation.  I expect it is fairly common.  I have spent a lot of time in small planes with the doors off and in helicopters with my feet on the skid without having that sensation, but have experienced it on the ground.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up