Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: professional usage of DMF backs vs DSLRs: which uses and why?  (Read 8463 times)

ChristopherBarrett

Re: professional usage of DMF backs vs DSLRs: which uses and why?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:45 am »

I recently had a film scanned that I shot in college.  16mm B&W on HP5 and FP4.  It was really gorgeous.  Left me scouring eBay for Arri SR's... heh.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:20:21 am by CBarrett »

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 09:16:20 am »

Most of them - a few are from vintage negs/slides that I have collected over the years and some feature photography by a Danish photographer/film-maker called Lasse Hoile - a very talented chap!

no-man wild opera

Shot by the water - 50s Pontiac?

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:13 am »

I recently had a film scanned that I shot in college.  16mm B&W on HP5 and FP4.  It was really gorgeous.  Left me scouring eBay for Arri SR's... heh.

Here is a truth film 16mm cam if you want to shoot back in HP5, but contemporary: http://www.ikonoskop.com/a-cam-sp16/

and here:

Download the prores: it's very close to your output.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:49:13 am by fredjeang »

BJL

Is the 5d2 your reference for DR and sharpness in 35mm format?
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »

I carry an Arca Rm3d, M Line 2 and a 5d2. ... sharper and with more DR than DSLR's ... I'd be inclined to switch to my 14 Megapixel Red cameras because of their superior dynamic range, ...
At the risk of reopening an ongoing debate: the Canon 5d2 is far from the best examplar of what 35mm format can do for either dynamic range or sharpness. Your indication that the smaller format Red has better DR than the 5d2 is further evidence that the latter fall short of the current state of the art for DR in formats 35mm and smaller.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up