Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soooooooo  (Read 6970 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Soooooooo
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »

I am off to Colorado this summer for a short while just outside Grand Junction. I have a lovehate relationship with Colorado...love the moutnains for their beauty, hate them for taking my brother's life years ago in a mountain climbing accident...and so life goes.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

shutterpup

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 03:09:19 pm »

So, my advice is this: go on making "joyful snapshots of anything and everything," but learn to cull with a passion. Never, never, never show anything that doesn't jump out at you after it's been tucked away unviewed for at least a couple weeks. (As the long-time LuLaers know, I break this rule from time to time, but I always regret it.)

One of my favorite ways of doing this is to start just as Russ suggests here. Then, after much culling, I choose an image that remains a favorite for my wallpaper for awhile. It gets put up, studied everytime I log on, taken down, put back up. This process really helps me see in a less personal, less ego way.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

One of my favorite ways of doing this is to start just as Russ suggests here. Then, after much culling, I choose an image that remains a favorite for my wallpaper for awhile. It gets put up, studied everytime I log on, taken down, put back up. This process really helps me see in a less personal, less ego way.

But why would you want to do that?

Unless it's your business life, the whole idea behind photography as amateur is to express yourself, not comply with what you might feel are other people's ideas of what your expression should be. If you don't want to sail your own boat, then you might as well stay off the dock as well.

For my part - what's professional is just that; what I do now for fun is something else (though I'd far rather be doing what I used to do - I think) and nobody tells me what's great and what sucks: it simply doesn't matter a damn - if it makes me sort of happy, I'm cool enough with that.

Rob C

shutterpup

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 10:52:50 am »

But why would you want to do that?

Unless it's your business life, the whole idea behind photography as amateur is to express yourself, not comply with what you might feel are other people's ideas of what your expression should be. If you don't want to sail your own boat, then you might as well stay off the dock as well.

For my part - what's professional is just that; what I do now for fun is something else (though I'd far rather be doing what I used to do - I think) and nobody tells me what's great and what sucks: it simply doesn't matter a damn - if it makes me sort of happy, I'm cool enough with that.

Rob C

Thank you.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 04:31:47 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up