Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underberg  (Read 6411 times)

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Re: Underberg
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 06:14:03 am »

I went back to this location last week and took some pictures at sunrise.

In the light of the above comments - it would be interesting to see what you think of this one. I did not convert to B&W because I liked the subdued colours.

William

AHHH.. this one is beautiful. Tones, composition, mood.

Julie

popnfresh

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 11:21:50 am »

I like them both, but I agree that the sky in #1 is a bit problematic. Parts of it have an almost solarized appearance which is a little odd in that context. However, a more judicious use of custom of Photoshop filters in the B&W conversion process might help with that. Difficult to say without seeing the original color, though. But I would not crop the image. I might have chosen a slightly different camera position for the shot, however, to avoid the grassy bank in the right foreground, which is extraneous to the composition.

Overall, I prefer the second photo. I think it's the more unified and interesting composition of the two. I'd be curious to see you do a B&W conversion of that one as well.

Tony Jay

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »

AHHH.. this one is beautiful. Tones, composition, mood.

Julie

Praise from Julie is high praise indeed!

Regards

Tony Jay

jule

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »

Praise from Julie is high praise indeed!

Regards

Tony Jay

LOL... I'll take that as a compliment Tony.... hmmmm ...... or does that imply that I am a hard task-master?? LOL.. anyway.... regardless, all I can ever do is be honest about how I feel about something and share that respectfully. 

Julie

vazuw55

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 08:25:36 pm »

I love the composition and tonal range. My eye naturally flows up the water to the sky.

Tony Jay

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »

Julie, I do think that you have a good eye for an image - even if you are a hard taskmaster.

Regards

Tony Jay

jule

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:45 am »

Julie, I do think that you have a good eye for an image - even if you are a hard taskmaster.

Regards

Tony Jay

Tony, With humble gratitude- thank you.
Julie

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 01:33:53 am »

Thanks you to everyone who took the time to comment.

I am especially pleased to see that most of those whose opinions I have come to respect on this forum were positive about it. I do feel as though I made some progress - especially in terms of persistence. This spot is about a hundred miles away and we had to book into a place the night before to get there for sunrise. ( A few clouds might have been nice!)

I hope you are coming along well Julie?

Pop, I tried B&W first but did not feel comfortable with it. I have started working on it again and will post it if I think it is good enough.

Thanks again
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

jule

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 06:41:20 am »

Thanks you to everyone who took the time to comment.

I hope you are coming along well Julie?

Thanks again
William
Thank you for your thoughts William. Yes coming along well. A more challenging recovery than I expected - but after 2 weeks of being inside because the air on my lip was so excruciating, I had to escape and go for a walk (with a bandana over my nose and mouth.) ... and I felt like a new woman!!! I couldn't stop from taking photos ...and used my iphone to snap some power lines.(on my blog should you wish to see them). Can't keep a good girl down! :-)

Julie

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »

...... or does that imply that I am a hard task-master??

What's wrong with being a hard taskmaster (or taskmistress) Julie? Certainly you, of all people, know that that's how you get art that can stand on its own. I remember ten years of soft taskmastership when my wife had her gallery: kids who hadn't bothered to learn their art, didn't know when to stop, or slapped something together because they just knew they were artists. Finding the real thing always was difficult, but once in a while we'd find it and then we'd stick with it.

Three cheers for hard taskmastership!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 03:33:18 am »

Overall, I prefer the second photo. I think it's the more unified and interesting composition of the two. I'd be curious to see you do a B&W conversion of that one as well.

I agree that the second is more appealing and I think the muted colours are very effective. I do feel it's a little cramped at the top, though; I'd like to see just a bit more space between the mountains and the upper edge.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up