Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Media Settings for Profiles on a Canon 8300 with Fredrix 777 & 901WR  (Read 2909 times)

Photopro888

Looking for the proper media settings as a starting point for making profiles for Fredrix canvas 777 and 901WR. Have been trying deferent setting for this past week using the "onsight" media selection image and also using the "Media Configuration Tool" but I don't think I'm getting optimal results. Have been using mostly the canvas settings "Graphic Canvas" etc... with deferent setting in each.

I have looked high and low on the internet for this, but only came up with info for Epson printers. I did notice that Breathing Color recommends for most of there canvas with the Canon 8300 is the media setting of "Fine Art Watercolor" I did try this and it actually looks the best so for.

Any more info on settings such as: Maximum Ink Usage, Head Height and Vacuum Strength.

FYI: Will be using a  i1Photo Pro2 to make the profiles on a Win7 64bit box

Thanks for any help!
Darren
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:52:02 pm by Photopro888 »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

I have used both those canvases, but not on the 8300.

However, the Watercolor media type is probably optimal.  For 901, you want highest head height and strongest vacuum.  777 is possibly the smoothest and lightest weight canvas out there, so perhaps you can take height and vacuum down a notch, or simply use Auto.

Make a few test prints and very closely examine the peaks of the canvas texture to see if you are getting head swipes.  If so, increase the head height setting, and/or the vacuum.

For ink load use Medium.  From the limited testing I have done, matte canvas does not much benefit from heavier ink loads.  If you are new to canvas you probably feel the test patches and calibration patches are looking pretty ho-hum in terms of density.  That's just how matte canvas is.  The apparent density and contrast will increase a lot when you coat it.

Create a profile from the the patches first without coating, then with coating.  Make some test prints, coat them, and see which ones you like best, and don't assume the coated profiles will be better.

Before printing your calibration patches be sure to run the Media Configuration Tool to get the feed calibration exactly right.  It has an effect on patch density, and of course so does ink load.

FWIW for a long time 777 had issues with the edges of the rolls being slightly curled in a way that created head swipes along the edges.  I assume that has improved by now.

Scott Martin

• Onsight

I use both of these myself and find the "Canvas Matte" media type to be perfect.

If you really want to do some exhausting testing checkout my article on "determine the optimal media selection for any paper" at http://www.on-sight.com/2008/04/04/how-to-determine-the-optimal-media-selection-for-any-paper/
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Photopro888

Thanks Bill and Scott for the info. Bill, I have been printing on canvas for many many years but only with Epson printers (and the older ones at that). It seems the "Fine Art Watercolor" and "Canvas Matte" media types with a Mediumish ink load look the best to me, in my nonscientific method!

Thanks again guys!
-Darren

Clearair

How about contacting them?
I contacted Hahnemuhle about Leonardo as a media I was gagging to use but jumping through hoops to set up on an
iPF 6100, and they responded with media setting Special5.
Not one that I would have thought to try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up