Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening TIFFs in Lightroom  (Read 2256 times)

NigelC

Opening TIFFs in Lightroom
« on: May 12, 2012, 02:53:06 am »

If you open a CR2 raw file in DPP, carry out some noise reduction and then save as a TIFF, can you open it in Lightroom and have access to all the actions in the Develop module? 

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Opening TIFFs in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 02:53:36 am »

Yes.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 04:07:27 am »

If you open a CR2 raw file in DPP, carry out some noise reduction and then save as a TIFF, can you open it in Lightroom and have access to all the actions in the Develop module? 

Yes, but why would you do that and create a huge TIFF file if all you needed was to edit in Lightroom?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »

Ya Nigel, Why?  is LR NReduction not good enough for ya then? :-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:42 am »

Yes, but why would you do that and create a huge TIFF file if all you needed was to edit in Lightroom?

I have a few files (e.g. ISO 200) which suffer from pattern noise in the deep shadows when I lift them with fill light - typically a scene with a very wide range from bright highlights to deep shadows. DPP seems to suppress this even before carrying out any actions, so I just wanted to take advantage of this aspect of DPP alone. ACR/PS doesn't deal with the pattern that well so far as I can see - i could try TOPAZ, I suppose.

Obviously you can't start on a raw file in DPP and then open it in ACR, so I thought LR might be the solution. I did actually get LR3 when Amazon halved the price a while back (little did I know LR4 ws coming at an even lower price!) but haven't really used it as I haven't got my head round the import/catalogue side of things yet.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 12:48:48 pm »

Nigel,

I totally understand your position on the import side of things. Basically leaves you blind of anything else, and so far a duplicate nightmare when I upgraded to LR4
I have been struggling with it even now since LR3.

In fact I am in the position to leave LightRoom for Photoshop ACR (Only reason I looked elsewhere was when launching many files(30-50) it would only load  max about 24). I do wish the interface of ACR would be flexible, and tools more flexible. But having it try and do the task of a Photo Manager hurts it. Sure plenty think how great it is. Not my experience, as you.

So ACR and a photo manager like IDImager (for now I use ACDSee) is really great. ACR is super fast and has no issues trying to manage ANYTHING but what you loaded. So with a good manager, it is a FAST coimbo!

In my experience, it is FAR better to let a race car drive on the speed way and a 4x4 deal with the desert sands or mud, than trying to have one tool do both.

This marketing approach of1 tool do all bothers me.

The Photo managers like ACDSee and ID can do all the export functions as LR. All the ratings, MetaData, MANAGING.

So far, Only thing(I'm sure there are more) I am not seeing in ACR is the White Balance function within a SPOT adjustment ?

This is always an issue, and the 3rd top complaint for PS/LR . LR right now is a bit sluggish, to to point of simply sluggish. If it adds support for other files the resources it needs to deal with will grow and making it even more sluggish. Without the support it sucks as a Manager.

Everyday I work, I as many others have to deal with this. For the weekend warriors, or the Fine Art only gallery folks, not such a big deal.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up