Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insect repellent is no longer enough...  (Read 5853 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Insect repellent is no longer enough...
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:42:43 am »

...the modern landscape photographer also needs a can of Mace.

Tony Jay

Re: Insect repellent is no longer enough...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 02:23:47 am »

Boy!

Remind me never to come photographing in your neck of the woods.
Where do live you again?

Timidly

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:12:48 am by Tony Jay »

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:27:26 am »

Wrong! All you need is a tiny bit of natural-colour cement with which to fill in the tripod holes. No holes? No point - no mosquitos!

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:17:06 am »

Never saw the link before posting my original comment (at work these are filtered out).
Having seen the link I can only say the reason I bought a Nissan Patrol as a rather large camera bag was to allow me to photograph locations without being stampeded by fellow shutterbugs.

Phew, I can't even relax until the last traffic light is a thousand kilometres behind me when on an expedition - I get cold shivers just imagining being jostled like that when photographing.

Hence...

Timidly

Tony Jay

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:45:54 am »

That's pretty amusing - (since I was also there with a video camera) and at least six or seven of those guys were part of a group of fine friends who travel together every year - at that particular moment I don't think there was room for either Michael or myself and we had moved off to a nearby vantage point. Seems that here was at least one other photog who was not part of the group  :D

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 07:41:12 pm »

Funny thing is, that shot is probably better than whatever all those guys were getting.

Zabriskie Point at dawn is a fave of mine for this very reason.  People watching is even more fun when the people are photographers.

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:07 am »

That's funny. I guess that's one reason I don't see much point in shooting things that have been shot by everyone that owns a camera. If I had been there, I'd have shot the peeps like this photo then pulled out my macro lens and looked for some tiny something on the side lines with the vague outline of the arch in the background. Maybe set my camera on the ground and shoot the foreground wide open, anything would be more fun than sitting there with a dozen other people trying to shoot the same angle. Then again, I only take pictures for my own enterainment... (-:}
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

There was a lot there when i was there. Luckily everyone stood as in the picture whilst i lied down on the rock to the right with the wide angle. Its one very popular place and id travelled 8500 miles so in my country this shot is very rare. Castles not so rare. Then again, wildlife never changes, sport never changes, people never change and landscape never changes. With so many cameras around nothings unique anymore although we'd like to think so. Me i take pics for me, and the older i get, the more dangerous ones i crave but im to old to get them. Although those grizzlies in Alaska look interesting.

Mick
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:49:33 pm by Mcthecat »

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27:09 am »

"Although those grizzlies in Alaska look interesting."

Mick, I think you'd have to be a bit of prime Angus for them to want to eat you. Of course, they might just want to play with you awhile before sending you to the next happy hunting ground. Have you been influenced by that guy who climbed into the polar bear enclosure in an English zoo some years ago? Reminds me of the song - Sweet, embraceable you.

http://youtu.be/RF1yQMPMEMo

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:30:56 am by Rob C »

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:47 am »

sigh...

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:00:29 am by ckimmerle »
"The real voyage of discove

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »

Reminds me of the Happy Hour birder scrum opposite an urban park Great Horned Owls' nest. That at least was educational, an owl enthusiast taught people about owls, even showing them the pellets (undigested mouse bits, upchucked). The camera "live view" proved invaluable for showing magnified views of the babies to passing joggers and kids.

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »

It's fun to dance across the top of Mesa Arch at dawn. Anyway that honeypot means that the other Island in the Sky locations are usually tranquil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up