Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Street Again  (Read 4346 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Street Again
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »

Haven't had much chance to get out and do my favorite thing, street, this winter or spring. But here's one I shot shortly before I left Florida and posted on Dgrin's "Documentary" forum -- recently re-named from "Street & PJ," a title that didn't come close to describing the family and tourist shots posted on it. The responses over there were interesting, so here it is for my favorite forum: LuLa.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Street Again
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »

Nice juxtaposition of the real people and the mural.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:08:01 pm »

Where's the street?

Cheers,
Tom Brown

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 04:10:21 pm »

Oh yes - please get out more often, Russ, and post here. A winner for me. Lovely tones too.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »

I almost fell off my chair. That's a wonderful "double whammy," Russ!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:08:17 am »

Boy, does that look Soviet!

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:48:54 am »

The art work was done by the American Artist Gary Kelly.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:59:10 am »

The art work was done by the American Artist Gary Kelly.

Peter

I wonder if he's on the CIA's list of subversives?

Rob C

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 01:43:15 pm »

That particular art piece was printed as a repeating pattern on industrial wallpaper by the mile, and used in every Barnes and Noble coffee shop for quite a long time. Not sure if they're still putting it in new ones, since I haven't been in one for ages.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 02:05:11 pm »

Sorry, could not resist: would you consider... gulp... a crop that would eliminate distractive edges and concentrate solely on the mural and people?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »

Boy, does that look Soviet!

Rob C

No way! A lot of drinks, but not a single bottle of vodka.

RSL

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »

Sorry, could not resist: would you consider... gulp... a crop that would eliminate distractive edges and concentrate solely on the mural and people?

Actually, I could have stepped forward and done that, Slobodan, but I wanted it to be clear that the whole mural is in the picture.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 02:10:29 am »

Very nice, I specially like how the people and the background mix together.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 06:59:47 am »

Not to present this at the same level as your piece, but I shot this last summer in Manchester, NH. I too was struck by the cleverness of the muralist to paint the shadows of his patrons directly onto the wall over another scene. It caused me ot take a double take look, hence the shot. Cheers!

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Tony Jay

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 09:14:36 am »

Nice shot.
Great scene.

Certainly brings a smile to my face!

Regards

Tony Jay

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 03:01:29 pm »

Hey Russ

Would it be asking to much to have had the big guy in the white shirt and shades to have been more to the right? I am sure that is the direction he is coming from - he would have "balanced" with the mural perfectly.

It is still a great shot!

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

RSL

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »

You're right, William, and it's been bugging me ever since I first looked at the picture on my computer. I should have waited until the guy carrying the coffee got just to the left of the guy in the weird shirt facing the other way. Actually, what I should have done was shoot two or three frames. But hindsight's always 20-20. It's what HCB once talked about: how you finish shooting, make contact sheets, and then you see where you failed. And as he added, the failure usually is because of a lapse of attention.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:39 am »

You're right, William, and it's been bugging me ever since I first looked at the picture on my computer. I should have waited until the guy carrying the coffee got just to the left of the guy in the weird shirt facing the other way. Actually, what I should have done was shoot two or three frames. But hindsight's always 20-20. It's what HCB once talked about: how you finish shooting, make contact sheets, and then you see where you failed. And as he added, the failure usually is because of a lapse of attention.

I don't see failure in your shot, but I do see failure in too much belief in the reported sayings of any one snapper, however successful he may have been!

Anyway, who is to say whether the characters in your (or anyone else's) shots will really move into better positions? If I may suddenly coin a saying of my own: better to catch what you can catch than to catch nothing awaiting what ain't gonna happen!

I think you do pretty damned well as it is.

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 11:33:51 am »

You're right, Rob. Looking back at what was going on around me I'm not sure I could have gotten off two or three frames. And here's something I posted on Digital Grin's "Documentary" forum this morning on a similar criticism:

"With due respect to ****, who's a good photographer, I have to say that I think attempts to tell a photographer where he should have stood, how long he should have waited, or how he should have aimed his camera differently are mistakes. Unless you're able to stand in the same spot at the same time you have no basis for that kind of criticism. Critiques like that remind me of civilian judges who've never been in harm's way feeling they're qualified to make decisions about what a soldier or a cop should have done under fire. Yes, there are a bunch of rules of composition that it's nice to follow, as there are laws that one ordinarily must follow, but to understand the situation you have to be there."

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 01:06:32 pm »

You're right, Rob. Looking back at what was going on around me I'm not sure I could have gotten off two or three frames. And here's something I posted on Digital Grin's "Documentary" forum this morning on a similar criticism:

"With due respect to ****, who's a good photographer, I have to say that I think attempts to tell a photographer where he should have stood, how long he should have waited, or how he should have aimed his camera differently are mistakes. Unless you're able to stand in the same spot at the same time you have no basis for that kind of criticism. Critiques like that remind me of civilian judges who've never been in harm's way feeling they're qualified to make decisions about what a soldier or a cop should have done under fire. Yes, there are a bunch of rules of composition that it's nice to follow, as there are laws that one ordinarily must follow, but to understand the situation you have to be there."

That's a pet peeve of mine about what seems to be flavour of the year in the UK. Facing crap from the judiciary as well as the press, I wonder why more cops don't just resign and go into private security.

As ever, we seem to be a nation bent on protecting the 'rights' of everyone bar the victims of crime. But then there's money and lots of left-wing political capital to be made out of it, isn't there?

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up