Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800E images will not open from Lightroom in Photoshop 6 w/ACR 7.0  (Read 3057 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

I have Photoshop CS 6 with the latst ACR 7.0
I import a folder of new images from the D800E into Lightroom. I pick an image and right click on it to edit in CS 6.
Photoshop opens with no image.

I then exported this image to the desktop as a tiff. Re import it back into Lightroom.
Right clicked on the image in Develop and it opened in Photoshop.
I thought 7.0 would work,looks like it just may require 7.1?
Not quite sure why it works once its saved to the desktop?
Operating a Mac Pro w/ 10.6.8
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:54:07 am by Dan Berg »

francois

I have Photoshop CS 6 with the latst ACR 7.0
I import a folder of new images into Lightroom. I pick an image and right click on it to edit in CS 6.
Photoshop opens with no image.

I then exported this image to the desktop as a tiff. Re import it back into Lightroom.
Right clicked on the image in Develop and it opened in Photoshop.
I thought 7.0 would work,looks like it just may require 7.1?
Not quite sure why it works once its saved to the desktop?
Operating a Mac Pro w/ 10.6.8

Have you tried the latest version of ACR (7.1RC)?

Link to ACR 7.1RC
Francois

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

7.1rc did the trick.
Still curious why a D800E image conversion to Tiff would load through 7.0 and the RAW does not.
I am guessing it is the fact that is no longer a RAW file.

jrp

This technote

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/nikon-raw-files-d800-d800e.html

suggests:  Do not shoot images with "Live View" mode enabled on your camera.

Tony Jay

A TIFF is a TIFF is a TIFF.
Doesn't matter from where it was converted - any proprietary RAW format will do.
Nothing to do with the ability of ACR 7.0 to recognize a RAW file from a D800.
If one has converted a D800 RAW file to a TIFF in Lr4 all ACR 7.0 and Ps6 see is a TIFF file.

Regards

Tony Jay

Peter McLennan

Do not shoot images with "Live View" mode enabled on your camera.

What? 

This can't be true.  Somebody. Tell me this is a joke.

Moreno Polloni

What? 

This can't be true.  Somebody. Tell me this is a joke.

Ok. It's a joke!

Seriously though, there was an issue identified when using live view in video mode, not stills mode. Video mode raw stills are saved in a 16:9 format using a different compression method that LR4 does not recognize. This was a problem in LR4 and LR4 RC1 but has been fixed in RC2. I just ran a test and was able to open a 16:9 nef in RC2 so it looks like the issue has been resolved. I haven't had any problems with any version of LR4 loading live view images shot in stills mode.

Now if Adobe can do something about RC2 pegging my CPU utilization at 100% for minutes at at time, I'd be a happy camper.

jeremyrh

Ok. It's a joke!

Seriously though, there was an issue identified when using live view in video mode, not stills mode. Video mode raw stills are saved in a 16:9 format using a different compression method that LR4 does not recognize. This was a problem in LR4 and LR4 RC1 but has been fixed in RC2. I just ran a test and was able to open a 16:9 nef in RC2 so it looks like the issue has been resolved. I haven't had any problems with any version of LR4 loading live view images shot in stills mode.

Now if Adobe can do something about RC2 pegging my CPU utilization at 100% for minutes at at time, I'd be a happy camper.
Joke or not, that tech note DOES say don't shoot D800/E images with Live View, which is a) a deal-breaker for LR if it were true, and b) apparently not true anyway, since LR4/CS6/ACR7.1  imports D800E images shot with Live View (as does LR4/CS5/ACR6.7).

Adobe need to sort this out - it is a ridiculously confusing situation.

madmanchan

• Web

Just use the latest ACR (7.1 RC) or the latest Lightroom (4.1 RC 2).

(For those who are interested: the technical tidbit that is different with stills shot in Live View video mode is that the aspect ratio of the recorded raw file is 16:9, not 3:2.  So the actual # of recorded pixels is different, which ACR/LR did not support in earlier versions.  Now fixed in the latest versions.)
Eric Chan

jeremyrh

Just use the latest ACR (7.1 RC) or the latest Lightroom (4.1 RC 2).

Yep, thanks, sorted.

I still think it's weird that D800 files are supported by the official release of CS5 but not CS6  ;)

madmanchan

• Web

That's simply a scheduling issue.  We had to finish engineering work on CS6 long ago, before the D800/D800E were even announced (much less released).
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up