Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your thoughts on Decision One and Epson  (Read 7745 times)

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
Your thoughts on Decision One and Epson
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »

Well a few weeks ago I dropped Cyan on my 7890.....tried a few cleans and then dropped VLM. Called Epson and they were very nice....without hesitation they said they would send out Decision One and take care of it. All kinds of parts showed up at my door and we worked on trying to get a tech to my door. I live on a island in the middle of nowhere. Everyone was very nice and I was pleased. Well he showed up at my door without even calling....was just going out the door to go to the next town....we were lucky I didn`t leave a min. earlier or I would not have been home. Drove 6 hours without calling 1st  ??? He was quite the character....but we won`t get into that. 1st he had trouble getting it apart.....did not seem he worked on many of these printers. To move the head over he started the printer and when the head moved over he pulled the plug from the wall  :o I said shouldn`t you be using Service man mode  ??? His reply was na this is easier. I asked him several times when he seemed lost....don`t you have the service manual ? His reply ya it is on my laptop......I looked around and did not see a laptop. Well he replaced the Pump Cap Assembly and put the printer back together....then......he said dam I have one screw left  :o "classic" but he was fast to reply...but I know where it goes......so apart it came again.....and yes he did know where it went....back together again. Did a power clean and presto we were up and printing again. I was a happy camper....a little unorthodox ...but hay he did his job....we were printing again. Now the reason for posting this......up until this problem I never had more then a slight clog that could easily be cleared with a pairs clean and that was very rare. Now almost every time I start the printer and do a nozzle check almost every channel is mostly missing......it clears with just a normal full clean....but this is nuts. It was never like this before.....never. To say the least I`m not happy at all. Did he do something wrong ? I have no idea.....but the way he went about things was very unusual and I think......no I know I could have done a better job myself. What to do next ? Do I call Epson again ? I really don`t want that same guy working on my printer again.....but what other choice do I have ? Mean time I`m wasting all my ink on cleans and not getting much work done.........not happy at all right now.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Your thoughts on Decision One and Epson
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:11 am »

I don't own a 7900, but that doesn't matter. I do own a 4900, I've seen how the 7900s CAN perform and what I am going to suggest is generic: if after the machine is repaired it isn't working properly, which from your description it isn't (provided you are running it at least once a week), it's totally fair to presume it wasn't repaired properly, and if it were me in your position I would call Epson back and ask that it be re-repaired no charge - by some one else.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:27:15 am »

I've held off on adding input to the other thread that deals with the 7900 and the print issues.

There are several mentions of Decision One (D1) as the Epson service provider for repairs in that thread. Photography is a hobby to me though I have sold quite a few prints in the last few years and I may do this full time when I retire. I've worked in the IT business for almost 30 years. We've dealt with many, many implementation partners, VAR's and repair providers in the time so I have a decent feel for how each provider grades out ... A, B, C etc... Decision One (D1) is a low cost, low value player in the hardware/software provider space. That is their model. Anyone who thinks differently is deluding themselves. They will never be more than that because the margins they are looking for almost certainly attract a workforce segment that is both lacking in experience and can be obtained at a low price point. You will more times than not get someone that is seeing the hardware/software for the first time the moment they enter your environment. They will almost certainly be leaning this system on your dime. They are not really equipped to triage complex issue such as the ones described in the other threads. Often times they will show up with a replacement part and install it without really trying to diagnose the issue. They are not given enough training because again that adds to the overall cost of being a service provider. There is a lot of turnover in that business as well and that impacts the overall service levels.

That Epson chose D1 as their support partner in the US is troublesome.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:29:44 am by 149113 »

chaddro

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:08:25 pm »

Peter,

I would not hesitate to call Epson again and inform them of what is going on. Your tech obviously did something wrong for this to be happening. The ink system in the x900's is pressurized and any air leaks in the system could affect ink supply to your heads.

As discussed elsewhere, a drop out in a channel is not necessarily a CLOG, but could also be a SUPPLY issue. Epson replaced one of my cartridges saying it could be bad... Not ink leaking, but the pressurized chamber that helps to push the ink to the head. This actually happened twice in 9 months.

-chadd

elisabeth russell

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:26:00 pm »

I agree with these responses. Absolutely call them back; they need to fix this and I'm sure they will. Also, I don't want to tear into Epson or D1 but I can add that your experience is not unique. I've had some good experiences with their techs but I've also had some very memorable bad (kinda John Waters-esque) ones. I would not delay calling them and explaining the situation and asking for a new tech. The printer should be functioning perfectly; do not assume that these problems will clear up or that you don't have time to deal with it now. Best of luck :)

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:55:29 pm »

Thank you all for your support.....very disappointing but I'm working on it. I will let you know the result......

jeverton

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:46:20 pm »

All the more reason we need alternative service providers with the US.  Please let us know the final outcome on this endeavor.

Emma Brackett

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:12:52 pm »

Oh man! this was fun reading... makes me realize why forums are so important. I just bought a replacement Epson 9900. Out of the box I got errors. so they are sending a repair man from D1.... I had never heard of them, why I looked them up. So I hope it goes well, if it's like going to Best Buy and he knows less than me. I'm going to be so P.O.ed

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 01:21:55 pm »

Old, old thread, Emma, but good luck with your printer.  I think it really just matters "who" the tech is from Decision One that is working on your printer.  Just like for automobiles, all mechanics don't have the same skill set or experience.  I've been lucky with the single experience I've had with Decision One, and the tech who visited my studio was excellent working on an old 9800.  But I think it's quite obvious experience with tech repairs and Epson printers can vary greatly here.

It seems the same strategy always applies:  start replacing parts one-by-one until you think you've resolved the situation.  Of course, were the replacement parts installed correctly and was the printer re-assembled correctly?   ;)

Emma Brackett

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »

Sorry, I know it was an old thread... But thought it's still current b/c they are using D1. But I'm glad you had a good experience. My printer is a day old... I had another 9900 for over 3 years without and issues. and I have had the worst luck for the past 6 months with Epson customer service... But thanks, I hope I have good luck too.. Have a great day!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »

If you own Epson and are in the U.S. you are using Decision One for warranty and or post warranty work.  There is no other solution unless you want to attempt the repair yourself.  Not too hard on the 9600 gen and 7800 gen printers, but on the 9900 it's a much bigger deal as Epson definitely made so you have to have their program to re-calibrate the printer.  The head technology on the 9900 family is much more involved than the older machines, plus you can take a 7800 apart pretty easy, the 9900 is way more complicated. 

I have used D1 now for over 6 years all based in LR Arkansas.  I have had the same tech for 4 of those 6 years, he understands my environment, trusts my opinion on the problem and orders the parts.  I have yet to have a single problem from a repair.  The 9900 has been around for a long time, and the newer 9890 is based on that same setup, so most D1 techs should have had experience on them. 

I know for a fact that their current focus in on the Epson solvent lineup as there have been a lot more current products announced and the trend in the bigger shops, signage, etc. is to move to solvent.

Not saying D1 is perfect by any means, but in my location they get the job done.  When I have had problem with a repair they have always fixed the issue, even on a printer out of warranty and no longer on extended warranty.   If you feel your tech is not qualified, then you need to call Epson and have them dispatch a call to the D1 field manager.  That person should take the lead and both call you and get a qualified person out to your printer.  I understand that if you live on an island as the OP does, this may be a bit harder to do. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up