Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800 Brain Teaser  (Read 3674 times)

marcmccalmont

Nikon D800 Brain Teaser
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:05:57 pm »

I'm using Leica R zooms on my D800E and in Manual mode I would like to have the command dial set shutter speed (easy) and the sub command dial set ISO....I can't figure out how to do that?????
Can I assign ISO to the front Fn button?
I've set the non cpu lens data to its maximum aperture but the camera seems to meter using this maximum aperture, I'm thinking of setting this to 5.6 where I will be shooting most of the time any thoughts or workarounds?
Thanks
Marc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:11:00 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Stephen Starkman

Re: Nikon D800 Brain Teaser
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:56:21 pm »

Hi Marc,

I couldn't figure a way to assign the front dial to set ISO. It seems that it is hard wired to aperture/shutter (or Auto-ISO if you press the ISO button). The closest work around I could find is to set custom function f10 to YES. This allows you to press and release the ISO button and adjust ISO with the main dial (without having to hold down the ISO button). A second tap of the ISO button or a half-press of the shutter release puts you back into shooting mode. Although not what you are looking for, this may be a faster/more efficient way to adjust ISO.

Dunno about the non-cpu lens part of your question - not sure I understand it. The setting in the camera only provides the camera with the right values for EXIF and can improve metering, really. The meter will still measure the light of the aperture you set on the lens.

If I've missed something I'll be watching here to find out!

Stephen

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:19 pm »

Stephen
Thanks I was afraid of that I have to push the iso button first :( and can't assign the ISO button to the front FN button either :(
There is a note that matrix metering isn't accurate with non CPU lenses so I switched to center metering and it seems a bit more accurate. It takes me several shots to get a good exposure kind of a waist
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:56 pm »

Is there any problem with using auto ISO?

Cheers,
Bernard

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:10:46 pm »

Yes in manual mode auto iso changes ISO while keeping exposure constant
I would like to adjust exposure with shutter speed and ISO since I have to manually set the aperture
It would be nice to do this on the control dials w/o pressing either the exp comp or the iso button.

It seems the camera is metering 2 stops bright with all metering modes? Could the aftermarket focusing screen be the culprit?  1/3 stop I could see but 2 stops?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

Stephen
Thanks I was afraid of that I have to push the iso button first :( and can't assign the ISO button to the front FN button either :(
There is a note that matrix metering isn't accurate with non CPU lenses so I switched to center metering and it seems a bit more accurate. It takes me several shots to get a good exposure kind of a waist
Thanks
Marc

You could also try setting Custom Function b5 to "Average". Non-CPU lenses all use the 12mm centre weighted diameter unless set to "Average". Maybe that will improve your results (it will likely at least change them!).

BTW, you can quickly toggle from one metering mode (i.e.: matrix) to another without using the dedicated (and hard to turn) switch on the back of the camera by setting the front fn button to your alternate meter (i.e.: leave the metering switch in matrix and assign the fn button to centre weighted). As long as you hold the fn button, your "alternate" metering mode will be active. I use this sometimes to toggle from matrix to spot without having to take my eye away from the viewfinder.

S.

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:06 pm »

Yes in manual mode auto iso changes ISO while keeping exposure constant
I would like to adjust exposure with shutter speed and ISO since I have to manually set the aperture
It would be nice to do this on the control dials w/o pressing either the exp comp or the iso button.

It seems the camera is metering 2 stops bright with all metering modes? Could the aftermarket focusing screen be the culprit?  1/3 stop I could see but 2 stops?
Marc

I'd re-install the factory screen and see if your exposures are improved :)

marcmccalmont

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 03:26:39 am »

I'd re-install the factory screen and see if your exposures are improved :)

I bought the camera directly from Brightscreen with the diagonal split screen installed. They didn't send the stock screen along with it but even so I always get a little dust in the viewfinder when I change screens so I'd rather not. I am waiting for an answer from Jim at Brightscreen though. I could see a 1/3 stop difference but 2 stops?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 03:33:04 am »

You could also try setting Custom Function b5 to "Average". Non-CPU lenses all use the 12mm centre weighted diameter unless set to "Average". Maybe that will improve your results (it will likely at least change them!).
S.

Stephen Yes that corrected it Thanks a Million!
Now for a software revision to get ISO on the sub command dial (is anyone listening?)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:45:21 pm »

Now for a software revision to get ISO on the sub command dial (is anyone listening?)
Marc

Great! Glad it worked!

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 06:59:16 pm »

Marc

Marc, Try this:

Change Custom setting d7 (Show ISO/Easy ISO)
Change Custom setting f9 (change main/sub)

That will put ISO on the sub command dial, without needing a button press.

Does this get you closer?

S.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 08:19:11 pm »

Marc, Try this:

Change Custom setting d7 (Show ISO/Easy ISO)
Change Custom setting f9 (change main/sub)

That will put ISO on the sub command dial, without needing a button press.

Does this get you closer?

S.
Not quite I'm in manual mode with non cpu lenses so I still have to press the iso button :( but thanks for trying!
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up