Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica announce H adapter for S2 with AF and shutter ....  (Read 8020 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Leica announce H adapter for S2 with AF and shutter ....
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:25 am »

To do that requires more than an adapter though - to get S lenses to focus to infinity on a H body, they would have to be redesigned with shorter barrels. It might not be possible - there might be mechanical clearance issues, depending on how far back the rear glass elements reach, etc.

It used be that the M645, and more recently the C645, were the "universal bodies" for medium format - of all the SLRs, they had the shortest flange distances, so they could in theory adapt all the other systems' lenses.
Now that baton has passed to the Leica S2...it comfortably adapts the M645 lenses. I wonder will Leica also come up with an adapter which operates the AF and aperture of the Mamiya/Phase 645AF lenses?

Things have changed considerably since the M645 days; the tail now wags the dog when it comes to quality and cost (that is the digital sensor is the major investment).

Notably though the S2 cannot be used on a tech camera or on a view camera with any wide lenses. Only digital backs can, which adds another dozen or so (relevant) lenses in the compatibility list to M645 or C645 systems.

Still, the S2 being able to use Hasselblad lenses is great news for S2 users. More lens choices are a good thing!

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 04:09:16 pm »

Hi Michael

we have done the same thing with our Canon reengineering on the HCam, Conurus did the same thing on the EOS to Sony nex adapter and there is more to come.
Of course this is not easy and a lot of work but actually the electronics side of costs is more easy to control than making completely new lenses.

I think adapters are the technology of the future, opening other systems and deliver added value to the users. Typically they come from 3rd party makers. The unusual thing is
that Leica did this step as a camera and lens maker. This proves they are fighting to catch up with demand of their lenses and cameras, whereas this decision is now giving them a bit headroom for making more bodies and grasp more market share.

I think it is very clever, using the somewhat limited (compared to Elephants like Nikon and Canon) resources of a Leica sized operation to achieve best market representation.

Whoever made this decision is tactical and logical. Very good ! That makes me believe in a strong future for this brand.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:10:47 pm by Stefan.Steib »
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:52 pm »

we have done the same thing with our Canon reengineering on the HCam, Conurus did the same thing on the EOS to Sony nex adapter and there is more to come.

Both the HCam and Conurus Smart Adapter (EOS > Sony) are manual focus only and are for lenses without leaf shutters. Both are great accomplishments and should be acknowledged as such.

But Michael's point in saying that this is a "first" was specific to the fact the adapter maintains/translates Autofocus. Which, I am also unaware of anyone else doing before this. Assuming broad real-world use shows that it all works as advertised (and does so reliably) it should be considered IMO quite an accomplishment.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 05:35:46 pm »

Doug

we could use the autofocus if our body would have any peripherals to measure distance. We read the full protocoll of the Canon lenses but as the most used with HCam
are manual focus (TS-E) it does not make much sense at all for us. But we are able to drive Canon focusmotors if we wanted to do this.

Conurus is also a very small operation,I think at Leica they have put definitely more effort (money) into this than we did.

As I said, clever move and also very strategic thinking. Bit of Sun Tzu I would say. I´m proud there are some balls left in german Photoindustry !   :)

Regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

john milich

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 06:12:53 pm »

so what will happen?
S owners run out and buy H lenses?
I doubt H lens owners will run out to buy S bodies

ondebanks

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 06:31:33 pm »

so what will happen?
S owners run out and buy H lenses?

Yes, I'm sure some will.

I doubt H lens owners will run out to buy S bodies

Probably not. They have an equally good, near-twin sensor in the H4D-40.

Ray

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 06:48:10 pm »

Of course if Michael says according to Leica the adapter was independantly developed with no involvement by Hasselblad, I believe him, but doesn't this infringe copyrights? Is Hasselblad not the rightful owner of the lens protocol? No legal issues coming out of this? The adapter is prized around ~ $2000. As a buyer I'd like to know for sure this stunt that Leica pulled is 'future proof'. What if Hasselblad considers this a hostile act?

I know Sigma and Tamron et all have been doing this for ages, but ...

One other thing is the central shutter, Leica has been working on this for 4 years, couldn't make it work until some prototypes showed up early this year. Now Leica says they finally got it right this time around, and even better (1/1000 instead of 1/500) than initially promised. When first reading about the adapter, my guess was Leica made a deal with Hasselblad. Share knowledge about making central shutters, open up the S system for H lenses.

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 08:17:48 pm »

Of course if Michael says according to Leica the adapter was independantly developed with no involvement by Hasselblad, I believe him, but doesn't this infringe copyrights? Is Hasselblad not the rightful owner of the lens protocol? No legal issues coming out of this? The adapter is prized around ~ $2000. As a buyer I'd like to know for sure this stunt that Leica pulled is 'future proof'. What if Hasselblad considers this a hostile act?

I know Sigma and Tamron et all have been doing this for ages, but ...

One other thing is the central shutter, Leica has been working on this for 4 years, couldn't make it work until some prototypes showed up early this year. Now Leica says they finally got it right this time around, and even better (1/1000 instead of 1/500) than initially promised. When first reading about the adapter, my guess was Leica made a deal with Hasselblad. Share knowledge about making central shutters, open up the S system for H lenses.

I'm sure Leica explored the legal angle before endeavoring on the R&D of the adapter. I second Michael's statement - I was also told by the S product manager that Leica developed this independently.

As far as the CS lenses go, I've already used them back in October and they worked fine at 1/500th. Obviously, Leica wanted to make more of a statement by tweaking and seeing how fast they could make the shutter while still maintaining longevity (100,000 actuations). They also have to retest everything at the higher 1/1000th shutter speeds for shutter life before publishing the spec.

Oh, and, no Hasselblad didn't consult on central shutters. I also don't think they're that excited about giving up body sales in exchange for an increase in lens sales.

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

David Slater

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:34 am »

If any of you would like to tryout the Leica S2 and the H adapter or the S lenses.
I can arrange for some free one to one demonstrations in the Mayfair store.

just send me an e-mail david.slater@leica-camera.co.uk

Sorry for the shameless plug but it's a camera that has a lot of people talking about it and very few people who have ever experienced it.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »

Will the adapter work on an S3. :)

Mark
www.marktomalty.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up