Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard Shortcuts  (Read 1063 times)

mbaginy

Keyboard Shortcuts
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:54:37 am »

I just read a thread from rasterdog asking which key controls to use instead of sliders.  Especially for incremental adjustments.  The reply was, the + and - keys as well as either key together with the option key.  For years I'd listened to Michael and Jeff explain using the bracket keys for certain functions (e.g. before and after in the develop module).  And for years I been wondering, where those confounded keys were!!  Were they using some special keyboard designed for LR usage?  Was I nuts?

Then it dawned on me, that not only the z and y keys of a US keyboard differ from mine, but also the bracket keys.  Though I'm American, I live in Germany and bought my iMac as well as MacBook Pro here.  Naturally the supplied keyboard is German.

But what I just noticed was, the keyboard controls change with the language settings!!  Yesterday I explained some LR4 functions to a German friend.  I switched LR4 language to German, to better explain in his mother tongue.  This morning I read the helpful reply to rasterdog's query, tried it myself and found, it didn't work.  Instead of the + key, I had to press the # key!!  Then I switched to English language and all was back to normal, with the + key increasing the develop settings.

But only recently did I figure out, instead of those (missing) bracket keys, I have to use the y key for the before and after view in the develop module.

Does anyone know of a cross reference table for English keyboard shortcuts and their German equivalents?  That's the only (very!) confusing and difficult part of Michael's and Jeff's tutorials.  I'd been shying away from those helpful shortcuts because of possible unintentional mis-adjustments or functions.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Keyboard Shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:20:10 am »

mbaginy

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:06 am »

Thanks for that link, Mike.  It was interesting reading, though I'm not using a Windows operating system.

I guess what I was searching for is a matrix showing:
 - US keyboard shortcut
 - German keyboard shortcut using English language setting
 - German keyboard shortcut using German language setting

Maybe Michael and Jeff should mention, that they're using US keyboards and English language (which seem obvious) and that the shortcuts they mention in their tutorials may not be available on foreign keyboards or when using foreign language settings.

I guess it's an Adobe thing, that + and - keys are used with English language settings and # and - when language is set to German.  It can cause confusion when explaining functions to German friends.  And yes, German keyboards do have the + key.  Possibly next year I'll be aiding friends in Italy.  Who knows what their keyboard shortcuts may be like?!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up