Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Green on Green  (Read 788 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Green on Green
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:47 am »

To me, this is one of the most difficult shots to successfully achieve: green on green and the proverbial mountain stream.

I saw this shot (literally from the corner of my eye as it is located on one of the most treacherous curves on a stretch of road called the Hellbender in North Carolina, USA), as I traversed the curve in my Mini Cooper at a rather high rate of speed, went a way further on and made a U-turn to go back.

There were two compelling features to the scene which drew my eye: the downhill run of whitewater and the dappled light as it drifted through the dense foliage.

I shot it with and without a polarizer and used the polarized version for this presentation as it really helped to define the various greens throughout the scene.

Question is, did I succeed?

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Green on Green
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:37:02 am »

I think it's well done, but the green tinges to the white foam seem not quite right to me.  If you could select those highlight areas and desaturate the green just there (stream water often has a greenish-yellow tinge, but the foam is usually white), then I think it would be better.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Tony Jay

Re: Green on Green
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:27:11 am »

This is a good effort and with possibly small changes in white balance may work even better.

It does highlight how difficult shooting in forests can be though.
Lighting and composition have to be just right or the image doesn't look right.
I have only a handfull of images shot in forests (mainly tropical and subtropical rainforests in Australia) that I am even close to being satisfied with.

Great to have a challenge though!

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up